DG200 Vs. DG250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DG200 Vs. DG250

I am going to pick up a 1955 DG250 for my 51 Commander. It has a semi- non working DG200 now. I have not worked on these before. I am trying to get the first gear start. Are the linkages the same? Driveline? Bolt up? I do appreciate all the help in the past with these questions but please understand I am not trying to start a debate over the Automatic drive, 250, flight o matic or anything else. I just want help to make sure I put it in correctly.
    Jim
    51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

The linkages would be the same, and the driveline will bolt up no problem....The differences between the two are internal, and throttle pressure adjustment would be different.....Good luck!

Comment

I believe the 1st gear start version would be the DG250M.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I have a spare DG250M in Tucson if you need one. Condition unknown. $50.00

Bob Miles
        Tucson AZ

Comment

Sorry. this is a 250M
          62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Perhaps he hasn't seen this thread, but for Studebaker transmission knowledge, I would seek the input from forum member jerezstude (Jerry Kurtz). Jerry repairs/rebuilds manual and automatic transmissions. One of the "go to guys" in our club. Personally, I have not needed his machine work or mechanical help(yet), but always enjoyed conversations with him at swap meets & club events.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I just replaced my DG200M with a DG250M. I spun the front pump on the 200 at the Pure Stock Drags, but it did get me into the high 17s. The 250 seems a little snappier, but I could only put less than a mile on it before the snow came. It was freshly rebuilt and I asked for a 5 mile warranty (20 times down the quarter mile). Will be testing and adjusting it starting in a week and all summer until the PSMCDRs. I am pretty sure the 200 was a factory install as my 259 came with a 2 barrel and single exhaust. By the time I added a 4 barrel, twin exhaust, electronic ignition and some secret sauce, the 200 just couldn't take it. Good luck with your install. They should be a straight swap.
              Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Hey warrlaw1, be sure and keep us posted on that project, I sure do like the way my 250 is so smooth and all, but it sure doesn't stay in the lower gears long ! I've been being very easy on the car so far, but... Hilo dragstrip is over here, and I am a kid of the 60s, and Daddy used to tell me to "always keep the dust blown out of 'em", and well.....

And like the guys said, lelshaddai, good luck and hope you are satisfied as I am w/ the DG250M.

Comment

I am looking forward completing the change out.
                  62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

I hear you, Johnny. I have a couple of more upgrades I want to try before the fall. Has been a learning experience muscling up the 259 (lol).

Comment

Well, just took the 55 out yesterday for the first run since putting it away for the winter with a new tranny (250M). Running good, I can chirp the wheels in 1st and shifting to 2nd. Kicks back down well from 3rd when you punch it and the four barrel kicks in. It stays in first longer than the DG200M and I haven't tried to wind it out in 2nd yet. The 200M wouldn't hit third at 70 mph unless I backed off the throttle. Not happening with the 250M.

Comment

Dang, warrlaw1, I'm not sure mine would chirp the tires if I dropped it off a stand, it's a smooth old girl ! I'm gona' have to "brave up" and get the ole' sweetie out away from town and see what it'll do ! Perhaps I may need some of your "secret sauce", ha ! I want to get a JEFF manifold, but still am fooling with other items on it right now. It does smoke more than I like, and it seems like the new box of valve seals I have laying in the trunk are having no effect at all....???

Comment

Yeah BUT, I think Dave is cheating!
                          If I remember correctly, to run it at the Muscle Car Drags he "Sped it up" with 3.73 TT Rear Gears, not your average 3.54 or 3.31 Cruising Gears!

Your experience MAY be different.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Ha, ha ! StudeRich, all is fair in love, war, and drag racing... If he has a 3:73, I'm only jealous, ha !

Comment

Working...
                            X