No announcement yet.

1963 R2 Lark "The Whistler"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey John, Nice sign! But you better be careful with it around your dogs... they've eaten almost everything you've ever had in the back yard: car covers, rolls and rolls of blue tape, hoses, entire articles of clothing, NOS upholstery , lids off rustoleum cans. Would sure hate to see that sign ingested and re-deposited in the corners of the yard!
    Mike Lynch
    Sunnyslope, AZ

"Be kind and civil. Allow that you may be mistaken; allow that others will make mistakes, be gracious. If you're going to contribute, try to make it worthwhile."
    Alan Taylor

Comment

• Hi . . . trying to get some clarification on this and Gordon Williams' car he raced for Warren and Day.

The Whistler:

- The record it set in A/CS is in AHRA? Did it appear in the Winternationals? What year?

Gordon Williams:

- Apparently it set records, but in which configuration(s)? For this, "Winternationals" seems to mean NHRA, but which year did it win F/SA (and I assume this is the R1)? I assume C/SA was for the R2, but unsure if records were set.

Simply trying to connect the dots. Been reading a lot here but it ain't easy finding out the truth!

Comment

• Originally posted by Diego View Post
        Hi . . . trying to get some clarification on this and Gordon Williams' car he raced for Warren and Day.
        /Cut/
        Gordon Williams:

- Apparently it set records, but in which configuration(s)? For this, "Winternationals" seems to mean NHRA, but which year did it win F/SA (and I assume this is the R1)? I assume C/SA was for the R2, but unsure if records were set.

Simply trying to connect the dots. Been reading a lot here but it ain't easy finding out the truth!
        Gordon Won his Class at the NHRA Winternationals in 1966 at Pomona, CA beating a Mustang, I was there still have the "T" Shirt!

Gordon had so many R1, R2, R3 configurations and it was so long ago, I remember talking with him etc. but not every detail.

It was a '63 Lark Standard, 2 dr. Sedan special ordered with a H.D. Flight-O-Matic column shift and bench Seat with all of the R1 Jet Thrust Equipment.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 03-01-2016, 01:16 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

• I also read that Gordon Williams drove the R1-powered 1963 Lark sedan to victory in F/SA at the 1964 Winternationals in Pomona, but not sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
            /Cut/

Haven't you heard John, it is Illegal to display a Studebaker "S" Sign 180 Degrees OFF, or a Pepsi Sign 90 Degrees OFF!
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

• It is hard to tell but it looks like the valley cover is chrome. My Superlark (63V 28392) built in March 63 had a painted one. I had one R1 from a 63 Lark years ago that had a chrome valley cover but it was painted black with the engine. Does anyone know when valley covers were no longer chromed?
              james r pepper

Comment

• The last time we left our friends in Frostbite Falls, the frame was off to the blaster for cleaning..

All nice and clean

Some finishing up of the repair where the mid frame traction bars were mounted...

A bit of primer and paint..

Last edited by SScopelli; 07-16-2017, 03:39 PM.

Comment

• 'Looking good, guys; thanks for the update.

As nice as that frame looks, is the Secreat Serial Number still visible? If so, be sure to protect it so you can get a repro Serial Number Tag to match it. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• Thank you everyone who has encouraged John in this project. This has been a fascinating read about a great car! Thank you John for taking this car seriously and doing such an outstanding job! I look forward to your future progress as the Whistler is returned to her former glory days!

Now, sadly, I must get back to work and get off the World Wide Waste of time as most of the day is now gone.
                    Well worth the time though!

Oh another thing John; if Colton is still pining for that little fellow to pull his little wagon; I have a mini-horse that would work perfectly!
                    Been wanting to order one of those for him anyway.
                    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                    Ron Smith
                    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

• Originally posted by jpepper View Post
                      It is hard to tell but it looks like the valley cover is chrome. My Superlark (63V 28392) built in March 63 had a painted one. I had one R1 from a 63 Lark years ago that had a chrome valley cover but it was painted black with the engine. Does anyone know when valley covers were no longer chromed?
                      Years ago, there was an effort to determine the paint versus chrome question. I remember that folks with R-series engines were asked to send in their engine number (or car serial number, or both) and whether their cover was painted or chrome. I can't remember the 'vehicle' for this effort -- whether it was Turning Wheels, or the Jet Thrust News (JTN).
                      Paul
                      Winston-Salem, NC
                      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

• Thank all who are following this build.And yes the Secret serial numbers are still there even after the sandblaster got done with it all .Had them taped off with heavy plummer tape but they remove the tape . As light as those numbers are stamped in I'm surprised.I see nobody has asked about why there's two frames on the trailer well the Second frame belongs to Sebastian he's building the Green machine we call it. Mentioned earlier and some of the postings here . He is also building a 63 two-door regal R1 powered. He's quite a bit behind me as far as the build goes . Sebastian thanks for posting the pictures for me thanks. John Kroulik

Comment

• Originally posted by jpepper View Post
                          It is hard to tell but it looks like the valley cover is chrome. My Superlark (63V 28392) built in March 63 had a painted one. I had one R1 from a 63 Lark years ago that had a chrome valley cover but it was painted black with the engine. Does anyone know when valley covers were no longer chromed?
                          My R-2 Hawk was made in November 1962 has the chrome valley cover.
                          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                          64 Zip Van
                          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

• Originally posted by studejohn View Post
                            Thank all who are following this build.And yes the Secret serial numbers are still there even after the sandblaster got done with it all .Had them taped off with heavy plummer tape but they remove the tape . As light as those numbers are stamped in I'm surprised.I see nobody has asked about why there's two frames on the trailer well the Second frame belongs to Sebastian he's building the Green machine we call it. Mentioned earlier and some of the postings here . He is also building a 63 two-door regal R1 powered. He's quite a bit behind me as far as the build goes.
                            Yes I did!

Just DON'T mix them up with the wrong bodies now!!

Craig

Comment

• Me too! Even covering one eye!
                              sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                              Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                              "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

• Originally posted by studejohn View Post
                                ...I'm surprised.I see nobody has asked about why there's two frames on the trailer well the Second frame belongs to Sebastian he's building the Green machine we call it. Mentioned earlier and some of the postings here . He is also building a 63 two-door regal R1 powered. He's quite a bit behind me as far as the build goes . Sebastian thanks for posting the pictures for me thanks. John Kroulik
                                Well, john knows me well enough that a bit a sarcasm and ribbing is a good motivator for me..

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                                Yes I did!

Just DON'T mix them up with the wrong bodies now!!

Craig
                                Don't worry we have them straight..

Don't want to hi-jack this thread, so look for new post on the Greenmist..
                                Last edited by SScopelli; 07-14-2017, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X