avanti body and vin numbers with hood prop question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• avanti body and vin numbers with hood prop question

i have two '64s, #1 is vin #5048 with body #rq4370. #2 is vin #5317 with body # rq4205 #1 has the hood prop on the left while #2 has it on the right. can this be explained logically? is one more "correct" than another? thanks
    gfperry

I had heard the hood prop was switched to the right side when the II's were produced in 66. I had not known of any Stude Avantis having the prop on the right side.
    sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

I also have two 64 Avanti's. VIN# 5051 with body number 3916, and VIN # 5487 body number 4326. Both have the hood prop on the passenger side. I believe when production went to the square battery the hood prop was switched to the passenger side.
      Bob Caser
      mrbobinc

Comment

i'm the 2nd owner of #5317, have had the car 36 years. i've had #5048 for a week. i guess it might have had a transplant of some pieces in the past; the passenger inner fender has 3 holes where the rivets could go but no evidence they were ever there. the hood shows no sign of the prop having been attached to the passenger side.
        gfperry

Comment

I am the original owner of #5051 and have owned #5487 since 1982. As you note 5048 has been repaired at some point in it's life. They should both be square battery cars. It is interesting to me that the body numbers are numerically spaced so far apart on your car #5048 and my car #5051.

Bob Caser
          mrbobinc

Comment

Originally posted by arkusvt View Post
            i have two '64s, #1 is vin #5048 with body #rq4370. #2 is vin #5317 with body # rq4205 #1 has the hood prop on the left while #2 has it on the right. can this be explained logically? is one more "correct" than another? thanks
            I am assuming that what you call "vin" is the Serial Number mounted on the frame. Both of your Avantis are square headlight cars. I believe the switch in side for the hood prop came with the change from the long 3EE battery to the rectangular 24 battery. Which battery is each of your Avantis equipped with (originally)?
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

yes, the vin numbers are the serial numbers. both are group 24 battery cars. the body number plate is missing from #5048 but i have a copy of the original invoice which verifies the number as 4370. perhaps a '63 hood was used as a replacement?
              gfperry

Comment

Originally posted by arkusvt View Post
                yes, the vin numbers are the serial numbers. both are group 24 battery cars. the body number plate is missing from #5048 but i have a copy of the original invoice which verifies the number as 4370. perhaps a '63 hood was used as a replacement?
                I now believe that you have two 1964 models, one of which has been rebuilt/repaired with 1963 parts at some time in the past (a lot can happen to them over half a Century).
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                X