No announcement yet.

Vintage air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the compliment. The only thing I believe I will need is a pusher fan in front of the evaporator, but that can wait until next spring!

Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

I used the Vintage bracket on my 60 Hawk. I would recommend using the under dash steel cased evaporator from Vintage. I had a plastic cased under dash unit that I had originally bought for another project from Old Air. It didn't have any way to support the rear weight and it cracked the plastic all to heck. The Vintage bracket can be a little tricky to install too. First, mine would only go on if I installed the longer rear bolt that replaces the bolt for the oil filler tube. Second, you'll have to change the water outlet fitting for the hose that feeds the heater control valve. There's very little clearance for the fitting and the bolt and nut to secure the right rear corner of the compressor so what I did was to drill out the bracket and tapped the compressor ear. Oh, make sure you have a set of gaskets for the water manifold where it bolts to the block.
      Hope this helps - Mr Mike

Comment

Thanks for the info about plastic and metal. What I need to know is what evaporator people are using that will fit well in a 62 hawk. They have a few to choose from. They have the Vacuum short pack, Vacuum Super Cooler, Gen IV, and Gen II. I do want a unit that has heat, air, and defrost.
        Need to know what condenser people used also.

quote:Originally posted by Mr Mike

I used the Vintage bracket on my 60 Hawk. I would recommend using the under dash steel cased evaporator from Vintage. I had a plastic cased under dash unit that I had originally bought for another project from Old Air. It didn't have any way to support the rear weight and it cracked the plastic all to heck. The Vintage bracket can be a little tricky to install too. First, mine would only go on if I installed the longer rear bolt that replaces the bolt for the oil filler tube. Second, you'll have to change the water outlet fitting for the hose that feeds the heater control valve. There's very little clearance for the fitting and the bolt and nut to secure the right rear corner of the compressor so what I did was to drill out the bracket and tapped the compressor ear. Oh, make sure you have a set of gaskets for the water manifold where it bolts to the block.
        Hope this helps - Mr Mike

Comment

Dallastx,
          I'm at about the same stage you are with our '63 GT. I like the idea of using an evaporator that combines heat, air and defrost. I obtained, from the local hot rod shop, a mock-up of the Gen II Compact unit. It will wedge between the steel structural member of the dash and the firewall. It rests on the floor and the outlets are just under the radio. I would have to put a different type of radio in the car. Or, if it is moved toward the passenger side, some of the glove compartment would have to go. However, I really like the idea of using this evaporator, so I will probably do one or the other modification. The recommended condenser was the Horizontal SuperFlow 14" x 22" x .83". Basically the largest that would fit. Hope this helps. I'm interested in opinions on this.

Perry
          '23 Special Six,
          '50 Business Champ,
          '50 Starlight Champ,
          '60 Lark droptop,
          '63 GT R1
          Perry
          \'50 Business Champion
          \'50 Starlight Champion
          \'60 Lark Convertible,
          \'63 GT R1,
          \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

I do not mind moving the radio and eating up a little clove compartment. I am not going for a show car, a daily drive is more of what I am doing. I plan on building some sort of thing to lead from the dash down to the stick shift and blend inot the center storage compartment. Put the air controles and a couple of vents there, modern radio if it will fit also. Will have to see.
            Thanks for the condenser info.
            Where are you going to place your vents?
            I was going to do one or two in the center and than one on each end of the dash.
            quote:Originally posted by fpstude

Dallastx,
            I'm at about the same stage you are with our '63 GT. I like the idea of using an evaporator that combines heat, air and defrost. I obtained, from the local hot rod shop, a mock-up of the Gen II Compact unit. It will wedge between the steel structural member of the dash and the firewall. It rests on the floor and the outlets are just under the radio. I would have to put a different type of radio in the car. Or, if it is moved toward the passenger side, some of the glove compartment would have to go. However, I really like the idea of using this evaporator, so I will probably do one or the other modification. The recommended condenser was the Horizontal SuperFlow 14" x 22" x .83". Basically the largest that would fit. Hope this helps. I'm interested in opinions on this.

Perry
            '23 Special Six,
            '50 Business Champ,
            '50 Starlight Champ,
            '60 Lark droptop,
            '63 GT R1

Comment

I plan to put a vent in the center and one at each end of the dash, as you said.

Perry
              '23 Special Six,
              '50 Business Champ,
              '50 Starlight Champ,
              '60 Lark droptop,
              '63 GT R1
              Perry
              \'50 Business Champion
              \'50 Starlight Champion
              \'60 Lark Convertible,
              \'63 GT R1,
              \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

I see in Octobers TWs an air conditioning add put in by Bob Helms of Texas. Has anyone on here delt with him on these air packages and do you recommend his set up or not ? Or is there another way of going ?

LANCASTER or BUST
                "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
                1964 Daytona HT
                sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Where in Texas is he located?
                  quote:Originally posted by 2R5

I see in Octobers TWs an air conditioning add put in by Bob Helms of Texas. Has anyone on here delt with him on these air packages and do you recommend his set up or not ? Or is there another way of going ?

LANCASTER or BUST

1960 Champ
                  1964 Daytona HT

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Ebon Jones (railway on the forum) has installed AC in more Studebakers than anybody else on the planet.
                    Amen to that. I bought my complete a/c setup from Ebon. It included every possible piece (nuts, bolts, clips, hoses, belts, etc). It was tailored to my exact application (no power steering). I didn't check, but I think his price was basically the same as Vintage.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
                    '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                    '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                    '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                    Museum R-4 engine
                    1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
                    1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
                    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Paul did you get it installed ??

Ebon...
                      [img][/img]

"I sweat to keep others cool"

Comment

Does he advertise somewhere?

LANCASTER or BUST

1960 Champ
                        1964 Daytona HT
                        sigpic

Comment

2R5 call Ebon or Phil
                          J and N Auto Air Wharehoouse
                          1203 W. Harrison
                          Harlingen, Texas 78550
                          or Better yet....
                          Just winter with us while we install the A/C. Drive it or haul it.
                          Short sleeves, and Shorts wore most of the time.

Ebon...
                          [img][/img]

Comment

Ebon , did I met you in Lancaster ?

LANCASTER or BUST

1960 Champ
                            1964 Daytona HT
                            sigpic

Comment

OOPS forgot the #
                              1 800 292 7001
                              956 423 6300
                              Been at the same place, same phone# and PO box since 1957.

Ebon...
                              [img][/img]

Comment

YEP

Ebon...
                                [img][/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X