Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

51 Land Cruiser engine and accessories color (s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I "stepped up" and ordered 2 cans from SI as well as a body parts manual. Getting ready to order new wiring from Lark Works .

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
      So I "stepped up" and ordered 2 cans from SI as well as a body parts manual. Getting ready to order new wiring from Lark Works .
      You should order a Chassis parts manual also. Very helpful and great information. Pictures of everything, where it goes, how it interfaces with other things.

The engine green story that I heard was that the color matches spilled engine oil. Of course, spilled oil turned black from dirt pretty soon after being deposited on the engine.

Studebaker used that olive green from prewar through 54. 55 was blue, 56/57 were turquoise.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I ordered body and chassis manuals, car came with shop and owners.

Comment

I once read that there was always green over spray on the valve(rocker) covers.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude
            Step up and buy from the guys that spend a lot of money and time to make all of this stuff available for a 60 year old car.

We should all recommend and support the vendors that support the club and our hobby.

S.I. does a lot for Studebaker owners. Napa does not.
            One can of spray paint from S.I., with shipping, is $25. We support our Studebaker vendors ;>)

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
              The first time I was at Newman Altman was in 1971, when I got out of the Army. I bought some parts, and was told the reason for the olive drab engine color was that Studebaker had a lot of paint left over from war production. Can anyone else confirm this?
              Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
              A South Bend urban legend. Stude was painting engines green from 1928 - 1954; many years before WWII.

jack vines
              Well shucks...never too late to start another urban legend...How 'bout, In the 1920's, While drilling a water well on the Studebaker property, they struck an underground reserve of "GREEN PAINT!" Enough to satisfy their needs and supply the ARMY! (yeah that's th' ticket)
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Jack, 2 cans of paint at $13.75 each with a $22.50 parts manual were only $58 with shipping.

Comment

Jack, 2 cans of paint at $13.75 each with a $22.50 parts manual were only $58 with shipping.
                  Tim, my post was just an FYI for the good of the order so anyone thinking of ordering one can of spray paint would know what to expect. Got the paint and the invoice in the mail today. Total was $24.75.

Just wondering why your shipping for two cans and a manual was only $8 and my shipping for one can was $11?

jack vines
                  Last edited by PackardV8; 03-15-2017, 08:27 PM.
                  PackardV8

Comment

I'm one state away in Illinois, you're way out west......maybe? Or, I do buy often from them??

Comment

I received the production order, doesn't show an oil filter. It has accessory AC2118 which I don't know of. My oil filter is black with metal lines, correct or should it have a flexible line and/or be orange?

Comment

A black filter would be factory installed. The dealer installed filter would
                        be orange with a black top.

Comment

Is the fan blade green as well?

Comment

Accessory AC-2118 is the full wheel covers.
                            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Is the fan blade green as well?
                              It would be black.
                              Brad Johnson,
                              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Rockne, I started a new thread because I added to this thread and it didn't reappear at the top, got an answer that the fan and pulley were green.
                                Last edited by tim333; 06-16-2017, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X