Rear Axle Ratio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Rear Axle Ratio

I have a 1959 hawk with a TT Dana 44 axle. The numbers tell me it is from a 62 FV body car. The ratio is 3.07:1 .My car has a 259 2bbl carb. and a standard 3 sp. T-86 transmission. No overdrive. I have checked this ratio in my books, and it seems in 62, it was only used with a V8 automatic transmission. My car was sold to me this way but I don't think it was ever driven on the road. The car at one time was a small block Chev with an automatic. The question I have is: Is this ratio going to be too tall? I was hoping someone out there can chime in and offer up some advise for me reguarding torque needed and clutch sizing etc.

It'll be a bit dicey getting it started from a stop, but if you are patient you should be fine any other time.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Yes, it will work and give decent fuel economy, almost like an overdrive.

No, if it were mine, I'd find an overdrive tranny and a 3.73 rear gear with Twin Traction. It would be a lot more all-around fun and they're still thick on the ground and inexpensive.

Maybe, fix it up, drive it and see what you think. I drove a straight three speed with a 2.88 rear gear and 6.70x15" tires for years. Got 20 MPG if I was careful.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

The 3.07 will be OK, at least till you drive it around a few years/thousand miles and decide what you want from there. As for clutch, it has been advised here many times, take your clutch components to a local clutch rebuild place (most cities have at least one), tell them what you are running, and let them build to spec. Unless planning on drag racing, I would avoid a "heavy duty" clutch, and ere on the light side as to specs. HD clutch setups in "driver" Studes are not the way to go; too much pedal pressure, strained/broken linkage components, etc.

Comment

I'd run at "least" a 3.31 or better a 3.55 ratio.
          Either of these will give better "all around" drivability, milage and performance.

A 3.07 will need some clutch slippage (e.g., let it out...slowly..) to get it rolling. The 3.07 would be good if you will be doing a fair amount of long hyway (freeway) miles.

Or...as Jack says, an overdrive with a 3.73 or 3.90 ratio.

Mike

Comment

I see yours is a 1959, but per the Shop Manual, 3.07 was standard or optional on many, if not most 1960-64 V8s with standard or overdrive trannys. Consequently, the Shop Manual also list speedo pinions for your car as is.

My point in the above post was, the 3.07 will do the job, and give you as much time as you need to decide further, after you have test driven it to your heart's content. Unless you just want to abuse the car, you ain't gonna hurt it with the 3.07.

Comment

I will probably try this set up the way it is. My car originally had an overdrive but I was hoping to put it on the road then find an overdrive and rear end. I will be extra easy on the clutch. Thanks so much for the wisdom, this is a great place if you need help.

Comment

For many years the 3.07 was the standard rear axle with a 259 V-8 equipped with an automatic or a 3-speed. These were normally Dana 27's. A Dana 44 with the 3.07 (especially a twin-traction) isn't very common. If you're doing alot of stop-n-go driving the 3.07 isn't great, but for cruising at 70 it's great! If it is indeed a Dana 44 with a 3.07 let me know if decide not to use it, I'm looking for one. Best of luck to you.

Joe
                Last edited by irish; 01-13-2013, 09:26 PM.
                sigpic

1962 Daytona
                1964 Cruiser
                And a few others

Comment

Back when they were building Studebaker's you could order anything you wanted, I got my 63 2 door standard from the original owner he bought it with a 259, 3 speed no overdrive and a 307 rear end and lived in the Oakland hills, why?? you figure it out but to each his own, after about 70,000 miles the engine got real tired so he ordered a new 289 short block from Standard Surplus for peanuts at the time and installed all his original parts one the short block 2 bld. carb and single exhaust and drove it about 20,000 miles before he parked it that's when I bought it , I tuned it put on duel exhaust, and an AFB 4 bld. and floor shift so I could shift it the original was sloppy and wanted to hang up when shifting, that set up and the long legs of the 307 could get up and move out as you built up the RPM's people could not believe how this thing would fly, when I pulled the engine to detail the bay and install a 4 speed I checked the inside of the engine and found Standard surplus had sent him an R-1 short block, guess that would be a good reason for the real get up and go.
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

Now that's a good story! how was the fuel economy?

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                    Back when they were building Studebaker's you could order anything you wanted, I got my 63 2 door standard from the original owner he bought it with a 259, 3 speed no overdrive and a 307 rear end and lived in the Oakland hills, why?? you figure it out but to each his own, after about 70,000 miles the engine got real tired so he ordered a new 289 short block from Standard Surplus for peanuts at the time and installed all his original parts one the short block 2 bld. carb and single exhaust and drove it about 20,000 miles before he parked it that's when I bought it , I tuned it put on duel exhaust, and an AFB 4 bld. and floor shift so I could shift it the original was sloppy and wanted to hang up when shifting, that set up and the long legs of the 307 could get up and move out as you built up the RPM's people could not believe how this thing would fly, when I pulled the engine to detail the bay and install a 4 speed I checked the inside of the engine and found Standard surplus had sent him an R-1 short block, guess that would be a good reason for the real get up and go.
                    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                      Was the engine ID number stamped with a cloverleaf insted of a number??

Comment

The engine has a clover leaf, and the gas mileage was around 16 with good easy driving on the free way it could wind to 120 in 2nd with out much problem with the 307, right now the car has a 44 TT 373 and 4 speed.
                        Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

Working...
                        X