1959 Dash in a 1962?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: 1959 Dash in a 1962?

Curious, will a 1959 Lark dash fit in a 1962 Lark without any modifications? I'm not concerned with every bolt hole lining up, but is the contour of the dash the same?

Joe
    sigpic

1962 Daytona
    1964 Cruiser
    And a few others

Joe, I haven't tried this, but I would think it would be really close. [WRONG - see below comments! ] They both had deep wrap-around windshields although the '59 doesn't interchange with the '62 (and vice versa).

Not that it matters in this discussion, but Jim Geary put a '55 Ultra Vista dashboard into a Champ pickup many years ago. It looked really neat.
    Last edited by r1lark; 01-06-2018, 06:10 PM. Reason: made correction based on next two posts...
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

No, the crown of the cowl was reduced after 1960, and the curve of the windshield at the outer edges was greatly altered.

Comment

A '55 in a '60 would be no big deal at all, and '56 to '58's are a bolt-into a '60, but a '60 into a '62 would definitely be a very poor fit without serious alterations.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by irish View Post
          Curious, will a 1959 Lark dash fit in a 1962 Lark without any modifications? I'm not concerned with every bolt hole lining up, but is the contour of the dash the same?

Joe

I did the opposite fitting a '62 dash into a '64 T-cab. No, it's not a direct fit but doable. For the upper, (dash pad area), I spliced the '62 to the '59 base with pop rivets then removed the assembly and welded it as a unit. (You have to use pieces of both given that the windshield curve is different)

As an aside, I think the 1961/62 dashes were the best of the Lark series especially when you used gauge clusters from 1963 up...

Comment

Do the dashes in these cars really just unbolt? My 61 Lark needs the white spaces repainted, and i thought itd be easier to pull it out rather doing it in car.

Thanks,
            Ryan

Comment

Yes they do.

Originally posted by StarDiero75 View Post
              Do the dashes in these cars really just unbolt? My 61 Lark needs the white spaces repainted, and i thought itd be easier to pull it out rather doing it in car.

Thanks,
              Ryan
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by StarDiero75 View Post

Thanks,
                Ryan
                The only thing that makes this more work is the wiring since by this time most others went to a printed circuit board & simplified wiring alot while Studebaker still wired everything separate. I started to play with a 62 dash into a 60 Lark cowl section & found it wasn't a direct bolt in fit & stopped.
                59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                64 Zip Van
                66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
                  The only thing that makes this more work is the wiring since by this time most others went to a printed circuit board & simplified wiring alot while Studebaker still wired everything separate. I started to play with a 62 dash into a 60 Lark cowl section & found it wasn't a direct bolt in fit & stopped.
                  Yeah ive noticed that when comparing the Lark to my 65 Ranchero. I almost kind of like the straight wire, i thinks its not as hard to figure out crazy crap rather than with the circuit boards. But hey, im 19, what do i know?

Comment

I knew the windshields were different in the 62's compared to the 59's so the dash being different wasn't a surprise.
                    sigpic

1962 Daytona
                    1964 Cruiser
                    And a few others

Comment

Working...
                    X