Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1966 Daytona Sport Sedan

This is on Hemmings today:

It's an auction item, but the auction page says they expect $20-26,000. As close to perfect as you can get?

And its a late example, too!

Craig

Comment

I judged this car last year at Stowe, VT. The only thing I remember being off was a crooked left front headlight bezel. A very nice car!
      sigpic"Somewhere West of Newport Center"
      1956 2E12 O/D SOLD!
      1959 4E2 4spd, TT
      1963 8E28 GSA order
      1963 8E5 SOLD!
      1963 Lark Daytona Wagonaire 289,O/D, TT

Comment

That does appear to be an excellent car with automatic, V8, power steering and power disc brakes. It could just use air conditioning added.
        Does it have an extra crossmember added to the frame, or am I just forgetting that tubular piece by the rear of the transmission?
        I am not a "player" at that price for a Lark-type.
        I do like the Monte Carlo and Superbird that they are also selling.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          Does it have an extra crossmember added to the frame, or am I just forgetting that tubular piece by the rear of the transmission?
          That tubular crossmember is correct. I believe it is part number 1563727.

Craig

Comment

The white paint is too white and the vinyl top is not correct.
            This car originally was Grundys secretary’s car it was originally arctic white , white vinyl top and white interior . I helped Ray Martin load it on a trailer when he brought it home to work on , it sure didn’t look like this that day !
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

The 1966's were Astra White (a Gray White) not much Yellow in it, and not too far from what it is, the Black Vinyl sure does look better than the White one on a White car.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                The 1966's were Astra White (a Gray White) not much Yellow in it, and not too far from what it is, the Black Vinyl sure does look better than the White one on a White car.
                sorrybRich but they were arctic white .
                sigpic

Comment

I dont care. This is the car I would hot rod, sorry purists. As a Studebaker of 66, and no indiana foundry supplied V8's available, I would do what I believe is needed, IMHO, put a Stude V8 back in it, an R2 at the least, but an R3 or R4 would do. That's it, all the latest from Studebaker and the best engines they supplied. Why not?

I had the opportunity to buy a 64 with an R4, I passed because it had racing history and I didn't want to change history, as I would have.

Len

Comment

My 66 is this car's cousin but I, like Len, have changed it to a 327 4 speed. Rich know's how a white car with a white roof looks as he remembers my car when it was new. The next time I do the roof it's getting a black top, originality be damned!
                    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                    64 Zip Van
                    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Is this car already in the daytona registry?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sal View Post
                        Is this car already in the daytona registry?
                        Yes it is. I'd like to see some pictures of the rear, primarily the deck lid fit as my lid has good gaps but sticks out almost 1/4" instead of even with the right tail lamp.
                        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                        64 Zip Van
                        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                          The white paint is too white and the vinyl top is not correct.
                          This car originally was Grundys secretary’s car it was originally arctic white , white vinyl top and white interior . I helped Ray Martin load it on a trailer when he brought it home to work on , it sure didn’t look like this that day !
                          We are fortunate to still have members like 2R5 whose recall memory is still sharp. Thank you Bob. Your comments also twigged my memory about this car. It came off the line on February 4th 1966 having been built for Studebaker fleet leasing. Back in those days senior management and field personnel were consigned company cars. Middle management and senior supervisors were eligible to drive a car from the fleet leasing program. Phyllis Blair indeed was Gordon Grundy's secretary and this car was leased to her. Interestingly, Mrs. Blair was considered middle management and was the only female in the corporation who had a company car.

By the way our leasing program allowed eligible employees to lease any model they wanted and a base Commander only cost about $18 a month. And Studebaker paid the insurance and maintenance cost. I talked about this program in an article I wrote for Turning Wheels about the Studebaker company cars back in 2012.

If I remember correctly, i think this car was owned by Ontario and Hamilton Chapter member Paul Revelle prior to coming into the hands of Ray Martin and Bob Barrick. From that point on I lost track of it. Perhaps Bob can shed some light on its restoration history and how it ended up in Vermont.

Stu Chapman

Comment

[QUOTE=Stu Chapman;1113616]We are fortunate to still have members like 2R5 whose recall memory is still sharp. Thank you Bob. Your comments also twigged my memory about this car. It came off the line on February 4th 1966 having been built for Studebaker fleet leasing. Back in those days senior management and field personnel were consigned company cars. Middle management and senior supervisors were eligible to drive a car from the fleet leasing program. Phyllis Blair indeed was Gordon Grundy's secretary and this car was leased to her. Interestingly, Mrs. Blair was considered middle management and was the only female in the corporation who had a company car.

By the way our leasing program allowed eligible employees to lease any model they wanted and a base Commander only cost about $18 a month. And Studebaker paid the insurance and maintenance cost. I talked about this program in an article I wrote for Turning Wheels about the Studebaker company cars back in 2012.

If I remember correctly, i think this car was owned by Ontario and Hamilton Chapter member Paul Revelle prior to coming into the hands of Ray Martin and Bob Barrick. From that point on I lost track of it. Perhaps Bob can shed some light on its restoration history and how it ended up in Vermont.

Stu Chapman[/QUOTE

Stu I knew you’d chime in with Grundys sect. name . Yes you are correct in that Ray bought the car from the Revelle herd , in fact Ray bought two 66 Daytona s from Paul , a green one that ended up scrapped out for parts and this white one . Ray I guess didn’t like all the white and made it his way , at least the car got restored because it was in very bad shape when we got it from Paul . I give Ray much credit for saving this car because most would have just parted it out . It needed a new frame and also got a body transplant along the way . This was Rays last total restoration he’s done and as most know Ray probably has owned 30+ Studebakers and maybe 20 of those were total restorations . Ray is still dabbling in Studebakers somewhat but as far as restorations go I think this one was and will be his last total restoration due to health issues. By the way Stu , Ray sold it to this fella in Vermont.
                            Last edited by 2R5; 06-11-2018, 06:46 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by StoneDog View Post
                              This is on Hemmings today:

It's an auction item, but the auction page says they expect $20-26,000. As close to perfect as you can get?
                              That is a very nice car -- with some interesting history -- but while it might bring something in that price range at auction, it seems like a high price to me -- have I totally lost touch?
                              Bill Jackameit
                              1964 Challenger Wagonaire
                              1964 Daytona Sedan
                              Total of 10 Studebakers owned since 1961
                              Bill Jackameit's Studebaker Page online since October 1995
                              https://billstudepage.homestead.com/files/studpg.htm

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X