95 Lincoln Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 Lincoln Town Car

I just got offered what looks like a screaming deal on one. Body sound, interior clean, shows a little wear, good rubber. Apparently needs a crank position sensor to make it run. This is a 4.6 liter OHC V8. I don't know diddly squat about them. Looks like it would make a darn fine driver if the engine could be made to run.

Anyone here got some knowledge?
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

I have driven thousands of miles in 1990s Lincoln Town Cars in livery use. I liked driving them and they seemed to stand up under abuse by many drivers. They each covered 60K to 75K miles per year and were kept about three years.

I never had to work on one and never knew of one that failed on the road. Any idea of the miles on the car in question? Bob A., that used to frequent here, would know more about them mechanically. In another three years it will be considered an antique (at least here).

If the "screaming deal" is under $500, I would consider it.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Five hundred is the asking price, they may well deal. Car is Arizona, but may not have come from there. But not rusty anywhere.
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

They are very well built cars. My paper carrier has one that is pretty old but still purring along.
        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

A friend of ours has two of them, has driven nothing else for close to 20 years and loves them. No serious problems.
          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
          50 Champion 2 door*
          53 Commander K Auto*
          53 Commander K overdrive*
          55 President Speedster
          62 GT 4Speed*
          63 Avanti R1*
          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

These cars have a long history of longevity. The one thing about those V8's is that all the vacuum lines must..and I repeat..must be tight. No leaks at all or they just won't run. This includes the PCV valve cover boot which is notorious for leaking. No vacuum no go. Engine might fire but will not run well at all. Check all lines before going into electrical. Ask me how I know.

Comment

In the early 90's the 4.6L engine, design became the standard for FMC, and lasted for decades. After the mid 90's most police cars, taxis and full sized limousines used this basic engine. When the Mustang/Lightning, performance engine is included it pretty much served all of Ford's product lines. It is not unusual to see these in service vehicles with over half a million miles on them.

I like the rear wheel drive Ford product, and drive one daily. There is much more to like then just the engine. For me it's a combination of looks, comfort, reliability and price. It seemed to me that during the 90's when all the other domestic car companies lost their way, and switched to FWD cars, Ford was the only one left producing a car that I wanted to drive.

Comment

One caution, I believe that these have the air suspension. The bladders take the place of the car's springs. They are great when working properly, but with 23 years under the car's belt, either they have been replaced, or they will be needing replacement. Find out about the car's history and what service work has been done. Gord it wouldn't be an issue for me, and it sure shouldn't for you.

Comment

Throughout the '90's that was the only car we ever rented while at the SEMA Show because it was still RWD. Even off-roading in Death Valley and the Mohave Desert didn't kill it. We ascertained that the "S" speed rating tires killed our computer limiter at 112 MPH whereas the Ranger's Bronco (who was in pursuit through the desert) topped out at much less. It is absolutely amazing what capability rental cars have.
                  Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                    It is absolutely amazing what capability rental cars have.
                    Bill
                    Buz, you hit it right on the head. P.J. O'Roarke touched on this some time back with the debate, what handles better, FWD, RWD or AWD? Frankly, doesn't matter cause rental cars always handle better. They handle rougher roads, deeper sand and snow as well as the salt at Bonneville (just make sure to wash the salt off before turning in). They will slide better and do far better bootlegger turns too. They jump better than a Meyers Manx. I have it under authority that they slide down armco railings better as well.

Ya, here's to rental cars!

Comment

Rented one back in the day for a trip from Nebraska to Maine and back, we had no problems with the Lincoln on the trip.
                      \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
                      The Replacements.

Comment

Gord, just happened to watch a video on youtube about the "10 best" used cars under $3000 (or was it $5000? or $1500...). Any rate, the Crown Victoria was on this list. Mostly same mechanicals as that town car. One thing mentioned was if the car was earlier than 2001 to check out the front of the plastic intake manifold for leaks. The later cars went to a combo aluminum/plastic one and there was a upgrade or recall for the older cars if they started leaking.

My late dad had a '97 grand marquis from about 2002 to 2007. I think the only problem he had was a bad idle solenoid at one point and the battery died suddenly when he and mom were on a trip. Traded on a 2004 grand marquis in 2007. My Mom still has it but no longer drives so it does not get used much.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
                          One caution, I believe that these have the air suspension. The bladders take the place of the car's springs. They are great when working properly, but with 23 years under the car's belt, either they have been replaced, or they will be needing replacement.

Find out about the car's history and what service work has been done. Gord it wouldn't be an issue for me, and it sure shouldn't for you.
                          Get the VIN, take it to a Ford dealer, have them run an Oasis Report. The entire service history will be known.

Town Car/Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis are basically the same. These are 'Panther' platform cars (body on frame construction), were running on test stands in 1976.

LTD (name changed to Crown Victoria in 1983) and Grand Marquis introduced in 1979, Town Car in 1980.

Questions? I have the Ford/Lincoln/Mercury passenger car parts catalog for these cars.

Comment

True what Jeff said about the intake manifold. I have two mid 90's Thunderbirds, and a Lincoln Mark VIII, all of which are daily drivers. Replaced the intake on one of them and monitor the others. The part is available, and it takes about an hour, maybe a little more, to change.

I always think about the Crown Vic's when I start looking for my rwd Fords, but always seem to find a decent TBird typ, in better shape, and for less money, then the later CV. Never driven a CV in the snow, but I hope that it's better then the TBird type. I would think that with posi, independent rear, and traction control, that TB's would be better then they are in the snow. Luckily we don't have much snow here, but when it does snow I just get out the old Jeep Cherokee.

Comment

Kind of funny take on the Lincolns, but here goes.
                              On one our many SEMA adventures, we had rented a BRAND NEW Town car in LA and headed east across the Mohave Desert, the most direct route to Vegas of course. I don't know if it was the same incident as noted above regarding the Ranger, but in retrospect I think not. Anyhow if you have ever experienced the desert roads they go up then down which is doable at 40 MPH however, if you ramp that up to warp speed the undercarriage hits on about every third or fourth wash dip as the air suspension loads and unloads. Once into Vegas we sought out a Lincoln dealer and I went in to make an appointment seeing as the car could no longer be shut off without being unable to restart. It was kind of a pill as you had to turn the wheels into a berm if you got out to take a picture or whatever. The service advisor politely asked me why I wanted all the shift linkage replaced on a brand new car and I replied "because it isn't there!". The humor doesn't stop there as on the way to the hotel I started to laugh somewhat uncontrollably and my pal asked me what was so funny. I said I must be the only lunatic in America paying $59.95 (the going Licoln rate) to rent a Mercury Topaz, which at the time was only $19.95 and was the replacement unit at the dealership. Oh yeah, fun when were younger.
                              Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X