'62 GT Hawk Tachometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
    When I bought it I researched it through this forum. It will work on any 4 cycle gas engine. It’s a Teleflex 82288P. I found the receipt, $70 plus shipping.
    Yours looks to be a good enough match, for 56-61 Hawks, but I am look for one that has a black bezel, to match the GT.
    Thanks Much,
    Joe H

Comment

Spray it black, easy enough.

Comment

I have a '63 GT Tach with a great looking head. Interested, contact me RB.V4@att.net

Comment

Isn't it always interesting when you pull an item up on eBay now they give you a Dozen More shown at the bottom, usually beating the first Guy's Price.

Here's the Same Black Bezel Tach for a '62-'64 Hawk for ONLY $128.95 WITH free Shipping.
          I started at $157.00 !

StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I could probably live with the wrong shape bezel, but not the red needle.

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
              I could probably live with the wrong shape bezel, but not the red needle.
              I can live with the red needle, it will match the red interior and the red Chrysler seats. LOL

I just snagged one of them for $128.95, thanks to Rich

Will let y'all know how it works out.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                Isn't it always interesting when you pull an item up on eBay now they give you a Dozen More shown at the bottom, usually beating the first Guy's Price.

Here's the Same Black Bezel Tach for a '62-'64 Hawk for ONLY $128.95 WITH free Shipping.
                I started at $157.00 !

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Meter-....c100005.m1851
                Rich-
                Not wishing to divert this thread into a discussion of eBay software, but that has never been my experience. If I click on a Studebaker fuel pump, it will suggest (for example) fuel filters, Ford fuel pumps, locking gas caps, etc. I recognize that not everybody's needs are as specific as mine, but I have found their helpful hints to be an annoyance.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

An original won't work with Pertronix ignition module. Some folks say there is some way to do it but it elludes me. Spent a fortune on electronic conversion by Autoinstuments; doesn't work! Don't send them anything!! Same for "Bob's"; they are scalpers. I found a VDO that looks like original but I like the SW much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
                    An original won't work with Pertronix ignition module. Some folks say there is some way to do it but it elludes me. Spent a fortune on electronic conversion by Autoinstuments; doesn't work! Don't send them anything!! Same for "Bob's"; they are scalpers. I found a VDO that looks like original but I like the SW much better.
                    Looking in my maintenance log from years, even decades gone by, I did not lose either of the stock GT tachs when I switched to Pertronix. I lost them both upon switching to electronic ignition and computerized spark timing control, which was part of the HFI conversion. To remedy that, I used a tach adapter for one of the GTs, but the tach still did not work like it did prior. So I have since went to modern tachs on both of the GTs.
                    Last edited by JoeHall; 05-17-2018, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tachometer.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	1720712

Somebody knows where I can get a sensor under the distributor cap for the original tachometer??

Thanks Walter
                      Walter

80 Fiat Spider
                      63 Lark Regal 4 Dr. sold 2015
                      60 Hawk sold 2017 in England
                      56 Golden Hawk
                      56 Corvette (John Cougar Mellencamp's C1)
                      68 Volvo P1800S
                      56 Jaguar XK 140 DHC

http://www.speak-to-doc.de/oldi/

Comment

Hello Walter

That should be the round tachometer sending unit, that you are searching. Unfortunately, I don't know of a source where you could get one.

Best regards and good luck in finding one. Maybe yours could be rebuilt/repaired?

https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...6tachwire.html

Rudy
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Santosh View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]72534[/ATTACH]

Somebody knows where I can get a sensor under the distributor cap for the original tachometer??

Thanks Walter
                          Try Brent Hagan, out in Oregon. He advertises in the 56J Only. He restores them, and may have an NOS one or two. His prices are fair and reasonable.
                          Last edited by JoeHall; 05-17-2018, 04:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                            I can live with the red needle, it will match the red interior and the red Chrysler seats. LOL

I just snagged one of them for $128.95, thanks to Rich

Will let y'all know how it works out.
                            I received the Auto meter tach yesterday, and installed it this evening. It was an easy install, and works perfectly. What a relief to have an accurate tach. The other brand 'x' would jump up or down 500 RPM or so, if you tapped on the face of it.

Only glitch with this Auto Meter is, the illumination light is about 10 times as bright as any of the other dash lights. Gotta figure out some way to dim it down a bit. Or wear sun glasses if driving the car at night. LOL

Comment

Working...
                            X