A Rather Depressing View of Cars and A Counterpoint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
    And it won't get you home any faster in rush hour traffic.

Craig
    On Wednesday evening, I happened to keep track. The three miles home from that parking lot took 15 minutes. That is an average of 12 MPH. The actual driving was 0 MPH to 57 MPH with a lot of traffic lights. Not really rush hour, but enough traffic for around here in suburbia. I do believe that I would have been more comfortable and enjoyed the trip more in the lady's 2016 Maserati sedan than in the other lady's minivan.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
      I do believe that I would have been more comfortable and enjoyed the trip more in the lady's 2016 Maserati sedan than in the other lady's minivan.
      In most instances, you'll get what you pay for as far as ride comfort and cabin ambience. (Provided you are alone, without any screaming kids occupying the rear seats.) But the time factor of being 'stuck' in traffic remains the same unless you're driving a police car or an ambulance in the line of duty.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
        On Wednesday evening, I happened to keep track. The three miles home from that parking lot took 15 minutes. That is an average of 12 MPH. The actual driving was 0 MPH to 57 MPH with a lot of traffic lights. Not really rush hour, but enough traffic for around here in suburbia. I do believe that I would have been more comfortable and enjoyed the trip more in the lady's 2016 Maserati sedan than in the other lady's minivan.
        Ideal conditions for an electric car. Gary, have you tried a Tesla? In 10 to 15 years from now, I could see myself in one.
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
          Ideal conditions for an electric car. Gary, have you tried a Tesla? In 10 to 15 years from now, I could see myself in one.
          For the amount that I now drive on any one car, there is not much payback with an electric. I used to put 35K per year on my first car, now it is about 3K. I have not driven a Tesla, but know someone that owns one (loves it) and see others in the area. I have driven an all electric car and ridden in others. My two "problems" with a Tesla now are; 1) too expensive and 2) no dealership within a reasonable distance. Even though you do not expect problems, there are cases where there is a recall, etc.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Craig,
            [QUOTE][We discussed here why one should have a battery maintainer attached if left for more than two weeks:/QUOTE] You are so right as this Denali loves a diet of batteries, and I only buy the best. We live in the BC wilderness 35 minutes from town so a variety of vehicles is required as road and weather conditions vary enough to choose the vehicle best suited for the current road conditions(snow, ice, loose gravel, ruts and potholes or even smooth conditions etc.) and expend-ability of the vehicle. The Subaru Outback gets the back seat(who would've thought I'd own a Japanese car although it was manufactured in America?). Long wheelbase Suburbans and the Denali XL are the best. As for Gary's experience, the only traffic we have is a cow, moose, deer, lynx, bobcat, coyote and so on so our trip almost always takes 35 minutes at 40 MPH. As for electric, what if we got to town, did our errands and didn't have enough juice to return home? I'll stay with my gas pots for security.
            Bill

Comment

[QUOTE=556063;1110nailed it when he said the Pontiac Aztec would have been well accepted if it wore a Honda Badge.[/QUOTE]

As the Bard once penned, "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet." It works the other way, too. That car is ugly.
              Mike Davis
              1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Originally posted by StudeNewby View Post
                As the Bard once penned, "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet." It works the other way, too. That car is ugly.
                The reception with a Honda badge makes me think of the Honda Element. It was not a well received box, especially the early ones with different color fenders.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                X