Most famous Studebaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
    I guess I should have asked for the most famous Race Car.
    As far as the general public is concerned, then the Muppet Movie car would no doubt be the most famous, as others have clearly stated.

But if one narrows it to just racing fans, probably the 1952 and 1962 Indianapolis Pace Cars would rate very high.

Craig

Comment

I'd lean toward the Granatelli cars at Bonneville. In particular, the one Paula Murphy drove, since it got used in advertisements for several products, such as Sears, Valvoline, Champion Spark Plugs, STP, along with Studebaker. It helped that she also became the fastest woman on wheels in the process and that was noted in newspapers at the time along with nearly every car magazine.

Comment

The early Indy cars, imho, at the time...

Comment

In context of "famous at the time", it would probably President Lincoln's barouche. Any of the presidential carriages, for that matter, got a ton of exposure for the firm at the time, I'm sure.
          John
          1950 Champion
          W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
          Holdrege NE

Comment

This car would get my vote. The Burke Bros Avanti. Raced since 1963. Over 30 records set with the fastest being 239.208. Raced consecutively for over 40 years. Put seven people in the 200 mile per hour club. And is being set up to go racing again soon.

Comment

If its a race car then for me I would think it might be the Plain Brown Wrapper at the 1/4 miles pure stock ..
              Love reading about the pure stock races..
              Love my Lark

Comment

I know this has moved to race cars. For the general public, it seems most know of the Golden Hawk.
                Perry
                \'50 Business Champion
                \'50 Starlight Champion
                \'60 Lark Convertible,
                \'63 GT R1,
                \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

My 66 covered in mud at the International Meet? Haha, just kidding, I think Fozzie bear's Bullet nose!
                  Attached Files
                  Eric Harnett
                  1966 Cruiser
                  Hamilton Ontario
                  Hamilton Chapter

Comment

Hey Eric--

What'd you do, go offroading at the Foundry site? Geez, my '62 didn't get anywhere near that muddy. Or stuck, either. :-)

By way of nostalgic comparison, here's Eric's '66 backing in at a Mapleview cruise-in circa May 2008 with a rear bumper treatment Marcks, Hazlequist & Powers never thought of...

As to famous Studes, Fozzie's '51 wins hands down (and the bear himself identifies it as a Studebaker right there in the movie); for racers, probably the Chicken Hawk for recent years, maybe Frank Mundy's NASCAR Strictly Stock Commander back in the day?

S.

Comment

Yesterday as I was driving my CE around town a fellow slowed down as I was sitting at the light and shouted "is that a Hudson?" I shouted back, no Studebaker!"
                      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Defining "famous" and "Race Car" might help too.
                        Webster defines famous as known or recognized by very many people. I'd assume that means many people out of the world's population, not just restricted to a small segment. Of course, there is a much smaller segment who would know of or recognize any Studebaker, since more than half the USA population was born more than 10 years after the last Studebaker was built. Fame is fleeting, as are the accomplishments that created it. We tend to remember the first to accomplish something, but rarely any after that.

Defining race car becomes even a larger task, due to the large number of categories of racing and if the cars were dedicated to racing or were simply involved in a racing event.

Given the ambiguity of the question, I doubt if there is a correct answer, or rather just several opinions.

Comment

Actually I think it depends on the definition of "is"
                          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Actually I think it depends on the definition of "is"
                            I agree.

Comment

Not a race car, but the Studebaker Electric that ran underground in Washington DC had a long life and a lot of press.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve T View Post
                                By way of nostalgic comparison, here's Eric's '66 backing in at a Mapleview cruise-in circa May 2008 with a rear bumper treatment Marcks, Hazlequist & Powers never thought of...

Looks like it is ready to be on the set of Trailer Park Boys up there in Canada, eh?

Comment

Working...
                                X