2in drop spindle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Axle / Front Suspension: 2in drop spindle

Does anyone have any experience on installing 2" drop spindles on the front of a 56 Skyhawk to lower the stance? I am going to do this and wonder what to look out for in terms of any mods for tire clearance. and such.

Thanks

I have 2" dropped kingpins on my '63 Avanti. Are these aftermarket pieces, or did you "make" them? When I did this, I was concerned about Bump Steer.I solved that with a pair of different tie rod ends. I can't speak to the tire clearance issue on a '56 Skyhawk, no issues on my Avanti.
    John

Comment

No such thing unless they were custom made.
      And in that case, few if any will have any experience with that swap.

Now...between early and late spindles, about 63 or 64 maybe, both the spindle moved up about 1" and the caster changed. Don't know how much the caster changed. I have one late set to put on one of two cars...can't decide which car gets the later spindles.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
        No such thing unless they were custom made.
        And in that case, few if any will have any experience with that swap.

Now...between early and late spindles, about 63 or 64 maybe, both the spindle moved up about 1" and the caster changed. Don't know how much the caster changed. I have one late set to put on one of two cars...can't decide which car gets the later spindles.

Mike
        Mike.......that's why I asked 'Tensor" if they were aftermarket pieces or if he made them. Like you, I'm not aware of any aftermaket dropped spindles or kingpins for Studebakers. I made the conversion about 5 years ago,along with converting the brakes ( front and rear) to Covette brakes and have no issues of any kind, with either change. FYI, these were made for me by a very well known and respected Studebaker Parts vendor.
        John

Comment

Fat Man Fabrication has been making dropped spindles for older cars for many years. They list Cadillac, Packard, Buick but I did not see Studebaker listed but you might call them, they would know if it could be done with your stock spindles.

Comment

They are aftermarket. Thank you all

Comment

Maybe you could explain where you got the spindles, what name and model number they are and all that. Lots of folks might be interested, but not be able to find them.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by Tensor View Post
                They are aftermarket. Thank you all
                Wow - wonders never cease. Aftermarket 2" dropped spindles have been commercially available for the stock Studebaker kingpins and none of we usual suspects knew about them!

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

It must be these...........
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	quick steering arms.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	1713344
                  Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]63610[/ATTACH]
                    Steering arms? The OP asked about spindles.
                    Last edited by RadioRoy; 04-20-2017, 06:26 PM.
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]63610[/ATTACH]
                      Does anyone have any experience on installing 2" drop spindles on the front of a 56 Skyhawk to lower the stance?
                      Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                      Steering arms? The OP asked about spindles.
                      For true, Roy. Steering arms don't lower the stance.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

I don't know the level of mechanical knowledge of the poster so thought maybe he was just using incorrect terminology.
                        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Come-on...won't someone come up with some quality, 2" dropped spindles (with adjustable caster, since I'm asking for nearly the impossible!)..?

Mike

Comment

Mike, You know that I have 2" drop spindles on my 53K. Now there is a Chev parts place out in the inland empire that has the same spindles and uses the same spuds and brakes as the C5 Corvette. They are almost a bolt on. Adjustable for both caster and camber.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                              Mike, You know that I have 2" drop spindles on my 53K. Now there is a Chev parts place out in the inland empire that has the same spindles and uses the same spuds and brakes as the C5 Corvette. They are almost a bolt on. Adjustable for both caster and camber.
                              Yes, Alan, but last photo you posted, there's not a Stude part anywhere on your front suspension.

With your Paxton, aerospace and welding background, plus fifty years of Stude experience, you can make anything fit anywhere. What we're still waiting for is the aftermarket source for the Stude kingpins with the 2" dropped spindles which bolt in.

jack vines
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X