Mustang and Focus lone Ford car survivors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mustang and Focus lone Ford car survivors

I can't seem to find an url that is short enough to copy, and it doesn't work- Google for yourself with "ford stop making cars"
    I thought it was an April Fool's joke, but that's past. Googling the report brings up just about any source with the same headline. Kicker is, they are only talking sedans. The trucks and SUVs are safe.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Originally posted by 53k View Post
    I can't seem to find an url that is short enough to copy, and it doesn't work- Google for yourself with "ford stop making cars"
    I thought it was an April Fool's joke, but that's past. Googling the report brings up just about any source with the same headline. Kicker is, they are only talking sedans. The trucks and SUVs are safe.
    The same info (including the url) can be found on FTZ (fordtruckzone.com).

This is a website for people that own/are interested in Ford trucks. I'm a member (BKW) and read it there yesterday.

The Fiesta and Taurus haven't sold worth a hoot. I'm surprised that Ford is killing the Fusion, because it's always been a good seller.

The thing that concerns me is, if we have another economic downturn, truck sales will slow down considerably, because people will be buying fuel efficient cars.
    Last edited by WinM1895; 04-26-2018, 11:00 AM.

Comment

The passenger car market has been diminishing for a decade and a half now, and the automakers are simply reacting to it as I stated in a post here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...pping-the-Name

Ford article here: http://autoweek.com/article/car-news...able-crossover

Craig

Comment

Article says that the Lincoln Continental and MKZ sedans share platforms with Ford cars.

So what the hell else it new?

Every Lincoln since 1961 has shared parts with Ford, ditto Mercury.

The 1971/77 'Mercury' Capri was imported from Germany, where it was sold as a Ford.

1979/86 Capri's are 'rebadged' Mustang's.

Comment

I also read an article on this today and thought it to be an April Fools joke. But perhaps Ford is onto something - after all, Henry made millions with the Model T (and it's variants). If the folks in Dearborn do well with this, I look for the rest of Detroit and Japan to follow suit. It does seem a little strange to offer multiple flavors of cars from one maker - staggered in $1000 pricing increments to cover all the bases in the market.
          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
            It does seem a little strange to offer multiple flavors of cars from one maker - staggered in $1000 pricing increments to cover all the bases in the market.
            That was 'the norm' 50 years ago with the (once) Big Three.

It started with Alfred P. Sloan's marketing idea in the creation of General Motors with its five separate brands, and his famous tagline; "A car for every purse and purpose".

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
              That was 'the norm' 50 years ago with the (once) Big Three.

It started with Alfred P. Sloan's marketing idea in the creation of General Motors with its five separate brands, and his famous tagline; "A car for every purse and purpose".

Craig
              William C. (Billy) Durant founded General Motors in 1908.

First he bought Buick, but when he bought Oldsmobile, he needed a corporate name. Durant also purchased Oakland (later Pontiac) and Cadillac in 1909.

Durant was forced out of GM in 1910, then he founded Chevrolet and by trading Chevy stock for GM stock, in 1916 he walked into a GM board meeting and said: "I CONTROL!"

Durant lost GM in 1920 for good. Alfred P. Sloan of Hyatt Roller Bearing (another company Durant bought) became prez in 1923.
              Last edited by WinM1895; 04-27-2018, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Agreed that Sloan was not the founder of GM.

What Sloan did was successfully and creatively align each autonomous division into marketing sectors that worked until the late seventies when management effectively destroyed it with brand dilution by too much badge engineering and across-the-board engine sharing. In the 1960's there was intercorporate rivalry back then (albeit usually on friendly terms) within all the GM divisions over who's engine was the 'best', 'fastest', etc.

Craig

Comment

Under Sloan, it was Cadillac - Buick - Oldsmobile - Oakland - Chevrolet.

But originally (1909), it was Oldsmobile - Buick - Oakland - Cadillac.

When Henry Ford walked away from the 2nd company he founded (Henry Ford Co.), president Henry Martyn Leland changed the company name, naming it after the founder of Detroit: Antoine dela Mothe Cadillac. The Cadillac Motor Car Co. was born!

1916, Leland left Cadillac after a dispute with Durant, Leland wanted to build Liberty Aircraft engines for the war effort, but Durant refused because he was a pacifist.

Leland then founded a new company to build these engines, naming it after his favorite president: Lincoln Motor Co.

Leland introduced the Lincoln car in 1921, it was a mechanical marvel, but a styling disaster, Lincoln soon went bankrupt.

In US Bankruptcy Court in 1922, Henry Ford purchased Lincoln for 8 million dollars. Leland planned to remain with Lincoln, but he didn't get along with Henry, so within a few months, Leland departed.
                  Last edited by WinM1895; 04-27-2018, 05:14 AM.

Comment

You forgot Cartercar.

Craig

Comment

You forgot Cartercar.

Craig
                      No I didn't, I didn't forget the Sheridan or the Samson tractor either. I just left them out.

Besides these, Durant bought many more companies.

Durant later said this about the Carter-car. "It was friction drive, who knew if it was to be the next big thing?"

I just finished reading a book about Durant (I've read it 3 times previously), now I'm reading a book about Walter P. Chrysler.
                      Last edited by WinM1895; 04-27-2018, 05:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WinM1895 View Post
                        I just finished reading a book about Durant (I've read it 3 times previously), now I'm reading a book about Walter P. Chrysler.
                        Don't stop there! This one is also a great read: https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca...Home&ikwidx=21

Craig

Comment

Don't stop there! This one is also a great read: https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca...Home&ikwidx=21

Craig
                          Henry has gotten a lot of credit for cars he didn't design. He 'hired' it done, but most people are unaware.

Henry hired, among other people: Joe Galamb, "Cast Iron Charlie" Sorenson, Childe Harold Wills, who later founded the Wills Sainte Claire Motor Car Co.
                          Last edited by WinM1895; 04-27-2018, 06:01 AM.

Comment

now I'm reading a book about Walter P. Chrysler.
                            Hope it's CHRYSLER by Vincent Curcio. Fantastic book about a man who rose from a wiper at a local railroad to the presidency of a railway company. While there, he foresaw the coming of the automobile age, and joined David Buick - eventually becoming a captain of industry in 2 different realms.
                            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
                              Hope it's CHRYSLER by Vincent Curcio. Fantastic book about a man who rose from a wiper at a local railroad to the presidency of a railway company. While there, he foresaw the coming of the automobile age, and joined David Buick - eventually becoming a captain of industry in 2 different realms.
                              Yes, this is the book.

Comment

Working...
                              X