Tire suggestions for a Hawk GT 62

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
    As Roy pointed out, you would want the 7.60X15 - again Universal has a period correct tire for $188... I have gotten rid of all my radial tires on Studebakers and really enjoy the look and ride. New OEM tires for my 2009 F150 run $195 each on Tirerack and need to be replaced when they turn 6 years old - not when they were mounted and hit the road... Good luck.
    WOW pricey tires. Firestones for my Tundra 4x4 only run $80. 18 bucks more at Tire rack. I don't remember the last time I actually wore a tire out though. Since the forced change in tire rubber compound they fall apart long before wearing out.

Comment

Buy American made Cooper tires!

Comment

Have had the Cooper 205's on my '64 Hawk for four years with no issues.

Comment

Me too. Cooper 205 r75x15. Any wider tire is distinctly ungood. Buy American!

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
            Buy American made Cooper tires!
            One issue that might not affect everyone. I e-mailed Cooper. They only make 0.75" wide whitewalls in 215R/75-15. They don't have the wider whites that are proper to the 1962.
            Bill L.
            1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Bill--- this issue you raised --Load index-----the camaro tire----- if it drops thats one thing---but when does it become a problem...firebirds went fast--- and took hard turns...so can you elaborate some ? Thank U (or maybe i dont understand the index ?? )

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]72931[/ATTACH] My '62 GT, Goodyear 215-70-15 ($50 ea. at Wal-Mart) on '93-'97 Ford Crown Victoria 15"x6.5" wheels ($8 ea. at wrecking yard) with 1" Port-o-wall white walls ($20 all 4 on ebay).

The stock factory wheels are not recomended for use with radial tires. They tend to crack. Use a later wheel designed for radial tires.
                Do you think these Crown Victoria rims would fit if ever I do a front disc brake conversion? Also do you happen to know what is the offset on the original rims?

Comment

Just today I bought a set of 4 Coker classic radial wide whitewall tires for my 61 Hawk (to go with my brand new steel T-Bow rims). A little over $900 with shipping to Boston. They better look real nice for that price!
                  sigpic
                  1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by MontrealHawkGT62 View Post
                    Do you think these Crown Victoria rims would fit if ever I do a front disc brake conversion? Also do you happen to know what is the offset on the original rims?
                    They fit around the 2004 Mustang disk brakes I put on the car.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3326.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	1721269

Comment

I just bought a set of Hankook 215/75 15 to fit on my mid-80's Jeep wheels on eBay for $220 for 4 free delivery with a 4th of July gift card of $75. $145 for a set of new tires and was delivered in 2 days.

- - - Updated - - -

They fit around the 2004 Mustang disk brakes I put on the car.
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]73598[/ATTACH]
                      Off topic, but can you elaborate on the disc brake conversion?
                      "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

Originally posted by Topper2011 View Post
                        Off topic, but can you elaborate on the disc brake conversion?
                        I turned down the Stude hubs to fit inside the Mustang rotor and fitted the Mustang studs to them with .020 wall tubing spacers. The Mustang Studs are longer and have a sholder to locate the rotor. I also added an aluminum ring to the snout of the hub to make the wheels "hubcentric" instead of "lugcentric", but that has nothing to do with the brakes.

Name:	20170813_020313.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1721316

Made this caliper mount from 3/8" steel plate:

Name:	20171003_160119.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1721314Click image for larger version

Name:	20170902_001220.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	1721315

Bolted it in place of the drum brake backing plate, slid the rotors on and bolted on the calipers.

I did the same for the rear. The adapter is almost identical except for the mounting holes, but the caliper needs some shimming off the adapter plate to compensate for axle shims.
                        Last edited by bensherb; 07-07-2018, 09:55 PM.

Comment

I turned down the Stude hubs to fit inside the Mustang rotor and fitted the Mustang studs to them with .020 wall tubing spacers. The Mustang Studs are longer and have a sholder to locate the rotor. I also added an aluminum ring to the snout of the hub to make the wheels "hubcentric" instead of "lugcentric", but that has nothing to do with the brakes.
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]73689[/ATTACH]

Made this caliper mount from 3/8" steel plate:
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]73687[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]73688[/ATTACH]

Bolted it in place of the drum brake backing plate, slid the rotors on and bolted on the calipers.

I did the same for the rear. The adapter is almost identical except for the mounting holes, but the caliper needs some shimming off the adapter plate to compensate for axle shims.

Wow, thanks. PM sent.
                          "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

Would enlarging the rotor hole work the same as turning down the Stude hub?
                            you should start mass producing the adapter plates!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Chartrain View Post
                                Would enlarging the rotor hole work the same as turning down the Stude hub?
                                you should start mass producing the adapter plates!
                                Yes, I would buy that.
                                "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

Working...
                                X