No announcement yet.

DEEPNHOCK's 1953 Drag Car ... "The Black Car"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That all looks so good Jeff, but gotta' ask....what is the sheetmetal "box" under the tube in front of the carb cap ? Is it just for support ? Loving this build !

Comment

• Originally posted by j.byrd View Post
      That all looks so good Jeff, but gotta' ask....what is the sheetmetal "box" under the tube in front of the carb cap ? Is it just for support ? Loving this build !
      I don't know exactly what to name it... Maybe a 'wastebasket'?
      It is an air box to catch the outside air from the hood scoop.
      The scoop was on the car when I bought it, and it will stay on for a while.
      I loosely sealed off the forward part with a chunk of aluminum sheet..

Rather than seal off the hood 'behind' the EFI unit, I made a fiberglass bulkhead in the hood scoop to block the air.

The catch box is sandwiched in between, so the air coming into the scoop is redirected downwards into the supercharger air inlet hose.

Rather than hack up the hood any worse, or add more bends to the inlet pipe, I decided to run the air inlet tube right through the middle.
      Crude, but it works (hopefully).
      There's a K&N air filter in the front of the scoop, so birds and bee's need not fear 'The Black Car'

PS: Oh...BTW... The pinstripe idea has been ashcanned... After hearing comments that the red pinstripes made it look like the Batmobile, and the gold pinstripes made it look like a Trans Am, or The Johnny Walker Special (old F1 guys will get it)...
      Off they came....
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

• Absolutely incredible-Can't wait for your next week's results. Good luck and post lots of pics!

Bill

Comment

• Wish us good luck....

Today is the big day (hopefully)..
          Spent the week prepping to start up the car and take it to the track for a maiden (for me) shakedown.
          Two great people, Rick Delaney, and Alex Nelsen, have come over to help out.
          The checklist is huge. These guys pitched in and really made a huge difference.
          Thursday was a 15 hour day that ended at 1am...
          Ran into some problems. Most were solved. Couple were isolated and saved for later.
          Big thing today is to finish the EFI setup and programming...and fire the puppy up!
          All the system checks, leak checks, and final tweaks.... Went real well.
          Without Rick and Alex's help... I'd still be a week or two away..
          Track opens at 3pm for Test&tune. Weather is going to be cool and mostly sunny.
          Just want to get it running and go shake 'er out...
          Fingers crossed...

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

• Good luck, need pictures, OOPS! video. Bob

Comment

• Can't wait for the follow up report. Hope all goes well!!
              sigpic
              Dave Lester

Comment

• Now we're EXITED ! ! !

Comment

• Come on, Jeff, I am on the edge of my seat!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• What a great day, but it was not all good news.
                    Got the engine running, and it is strong....and loud!
                    But there are a couple of tuning issues that kept us from the track.
                    Will be working on the tuning issues tomorrow.
                    Totally jazzed by how far it has come...
                    More tomorrow...

Jeff

Comment

• Great, it's always a thrilling time to hear a new masterpiece roar to life, breathing fire, and threating to take your breath, with the strong odor of nitromethane. Viberating the ground and rattling the window panes. O, I got lost in the moment. Good luck Jeff.

Comment

• Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                        Got the engine running, and it is strong....and loud!
                        Congratulations, Jeff.

Comment

• And I thought it was thunder I was hear'n east of me ...
                          sigpic

Wayne Lee

Comment

• Congratulations Jeff! I'm real happy for you. Post pics or video(with sound) when you get the chance.
                            Cheers, Bill

Comment

• Here's a little Studebaker noise for your viewing pleasure...

The EFI is still in learning mode, and the fuel map needs some work..
                              But not too bad for a fresh setup.

Jeff

Comment

• That is beyond cool. Congrats!
                                Dean Seavers
                                Sacramento, CA

Comment

Working...
                                X