Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When you look up "collector" in the dictionary...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
    Thanks for posting that, Craig. My Photobucket account is supposed to be frozen and not allowing third-party hosting, but I see those images appeared here "just fine." I wonder what's up with that? BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I picked up a couple of "spare" Studebakers a while back. Not because I needed any more projects, but they were on a lot full of cars that were being cleaned up. All cars were $100.00 each for two weeks, then what was left was smashed with a loader and hauled to the scrap yard. I got a 1960 four door Lark with V8 and three speed overdrive, and a US6. The Lark is a parts car, and MAYBE when I catch up on other things, I will work on the US6. Both are fairly complete, and I couldn't bear the thought of them being scrapped. My wife things I might be the "H" word, but I think I'm a collector. I also have four other Larks, an M15A, and a 60 Hawk, so no shortage of projects as I head into retirement.
      Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

I know quite a few collectors and quite a few hoarders who believe they are collectors. I've watched a number of cars rot into the ground up here in Canada due to harsh weather and stubborn owners who always seem to say "gonna restore it, NO it's NOT FOR SALE". I truly do believe they just enjoy frustrating all the people that ask. This goes back to the early 1970's for me. A 58 Corvette that had left front fender damage that sat in a yard close to the salty North Atlantic with a Not For Sale sign in it for at least a decade and a 62 GT Hawk that was in my neighbourhood that ended up being saved. This was circa 1971-72. The Hawk was rusty, but was hauled away by 2 guys with a Studebaker Drivers Club decal on their car.
        The Corvette disappeared. The last time I went to see it had a totally rotted frame. Fast forward to 2013. Still see the same story over and over again.
        I bought an Avanti II that was poorly stored from a hoarder who lost his storage garage. I had it parked at a friend's shop to get it running and a local dude stops in and asks if it's so and so's old car from Ingersoll Ont, to which I reply no, this was in Hamilton Ont. He said there was one parked in a back yard in Ingersoll since mid 70's because of water pump failure. He said they tried to get 289 (likely Ford)pump to bolt up but it didnt fit so they gave up, car was parked and left to rot. I got directions, go hunt it down and the house had just been demolished, Avanti was gone after 35 or so years. So does anyone from S-W Ontario know where that car went?

Comment

Originally posted by avanti-hawk View Post
          The Corvette disappeared. The last time I went to see it had a totally rotted frame.
          It might have disappeared, Ed, but you can be sure that its Serial Number plate exists on some 1958 Corvette somewhere! BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

All it takes is to have the serial number plate from a Corvette of that vintage and either build a new car from original and repop parts bought online or go to Corvettes at Carlisle and you can build the car from parts bought there. Like Bob said...that serial number plate it likely attached to a '58 Vette somewhere.
            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              It might have disappeared, Ed, but you can be sure that its Serial Number plate exists on some 1958 Corvette somewhere! BP
              Yes Bob, you are probably correct! Another Corvette story. This time about a 1954. It was a factory Blue with tan interior, original paint that had been in storage since 1973. It took many years and quite a pile of $100 dollar bills to convince the owner to cut it loose in the late 90's. My friend wanted it because he had bought a 1956 Corvette also in storage after a brief racing career in the 50's and 60's. Very nice car, but had no engine or transmission. The 1954 had a 1956 265 with 2x4 bbl carbs and the proper 3 speed manual that had been transplanted in many years before. So he used the powertrain to finish the restoration on the 56 with proper date codes. So when it came time to restore the 1954 a few years later they unscrewed the serial number plate and locked it in a cabinet. Another 2 years passed and I was ready to buy the 1954 as I had found a 54 engine, proper intake and the carbs(same as Corvair). We had a deal struck until I wanted the VIN tag. The cabinet it was in got sold in a yard sale, with the serial plate still in it!
              I passed on the car, which eventually got a restamped plate as they were able to still find the serial number on the frame. I've often wondered if there are now 2 Pennant Blue 54 Vettes with the same numbers!

Comment

Originally posted by avanti-hawk View Post
                Yes Bob, you are probably correct! Another Corvette story. This time about a 1954. It was a factory Blue with tan interior, original paint that had been in storage since 1973. It took many years and quite a pile of $100 dollar bills to convince the owner to cut it loose in the late 90's. My friend wanted it because he had bought a 1956 Corvette also in storage after a brief racing career in the 50's and 60's. Very nice car, but had no engine or transmission. The 1954 had a 1956 265 with 2x4 bbl carbs and the proper 3 speed manual that had been transplanted in many years before. So he used the powertrain to finish the restoration on the 56 with proper date codes. So when it came time to restore the 1954 a few years later they unscrewed the serial number plate and locked it in a cabinet. Another 2 years passed and I was ready to buy the 1954 as I had found a 54 engine, proper intake and the carbs(same as Corvair). We had a deal struck until I wanted the VIN tag. The cabinet it was in got sold in a yard sale, with the serial plate still in it!
                I passed on the car, which eventually got a restamped plate as they were able to still find the serial number on the frame. I've often wondered if there are now 2 Pennant Blue 54 Vettes with the same numbers!
                That's a good story, Ed.

Now, as few 1954 Corvettes as there are out there, especially in Pennant Blue, who has the real car; they guy with the original Serial Number tag on a car with a restamped frame, or the guy with the original stamped frame with the repro Serial Number tag?

Here's hoping they don't both show up at the same auction! BP

Comment

[QUOTE=BobPalma;1092055] That's a good story, Ed.

Now, as few 1954 Corvettes as there are out there, especially in Pennant Blue, who has the real car; they guy with the original Serial Number tag on a car with a restamped frame, or the guy with the original stamped frame with the repro Serial Number tag?

Last time I heard of the original car with the repro tag plate it went to auction here in Canada. It was a looker. I wish that I had bought it way back when, but a Corvette with a restamp plate would keep me awake at night! Pennant Blue with tan top and interior is indeed a rare car. This one still had the tan rubber trunk mat and original spare tire. that was over 10 years ago, so who knows where it is??

Comment

"What we have here is failure to communicate," the Captain's words, and the resulting harsh treatment seem to ring true. Self-righteousness is not a virtue, at least when it is proclaimed to others. I really wonder where the self-righteously disposed, believe that most of these cars would be without this gentleman's intervention?

Comment

Originally posted by bumpkinvilledano View Post
                      As well as the 66 Ford that looks suspiciously like a 63/64
                      It's a 1961 and the 1979 Country Squire is a 1975/78 (only way to tell one year from another is by the 1st digit of the VIN).

The 1929 Packard cannot any newer than 1928, 1951 Frazer is a 1950, 1956 Cadillac is a 1957...and on and on it goes, one mistake after another.
                      Last edited by WinM1895; 01-22-2018, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X