Studebaker "Sparrow"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starliner62 View Post
    The short one sure favors a Rambler at the rear quarter.
    True. And I was thinking that the front fenders looked like they were used on the 1962 Chevy II!
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
      I've always thought that the first pic, the one with the angled grille, looked much like an early '70s Volvo 140. The smaller one, with the more Lark-like grille, reminds me of a Datsun 510 in the greenhouse and fender area.
      Ah, you fellas beat me to it! I was going to say early Datsun as well. I wonder if the company sold the design to them?

Another thing I noticed was the two-piece type doors. They look like the '63-6 type doors with the large wing windows.

Also, is it me, or does the smaller car appear to have fourteen inch rims? The wheels definately look smaller. ...Which actually looks good with the design.

One last thing, did these end up in the 'boneyard'?
      Last edited by studeclunker; 10-06-2010, 07:52 AM. Reason: I had a thought... and it hurt too! #;-P
      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

One last thing, did these end up in the 'boneyard'?[/QUOTE]

No. These cars were destroyed. Only a select few that were snuck out of engineering or had other pourposes (like how the Bourke prototypes went to Bourkes collection). The "newest" car in the graveyard is a '55.
        Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS]

No. These cars were destroyed. Only a select few that were snuck out of engineering or had other pourposes (like how the Bourke prototypes went to Bourkes collection). The "newest" car in the graveyard is a '55.
          Did you check EVERY ROOM in that Engineering Building? They could still be well hidden under some tarps and other debris in there!!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
            Did you check EVERY ROOM in that Engineering Building? They could still be well hidden under some tarps and other debris in there!!

Craig
            Yup, every last corner of that building. Every once in a big while a prototype part or pieces would turn up but that was rare. If any complete prototype cars were ever in the engineering building by the days of SASCO, they would have been on the first floor or the courtyards because the freight elevator was no longer strong enough to get a car on the second floor! Of the five or six cars that were there, they were all in the garage in the back of the building or in the front courtyard. The only prototype parts other than the complete Turtle found there were some clay car bases made of wood (I have that now) and some later model Lark parts that were prototype (But I won't go into details about them without Eds permission. )
            Chris Dresbach

Comment

No. These cars were destroyed. Only a select few that were snuck out of engineering or had other pourposes (like how the Bourke prototypes went to Bourkes collection). The "newest" car in the graveyard is a '55.[/QUOTE]

What you refer to as Bourke's prototype in Bob's collection was not a Studebaker prototype. That car was Bob's personal 1954 Commander Starliner that he made modifications to.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

No. These cars were destroyed. Only a select few that were snuck out of engineering or had other pourposes (like how the Bourke prototypes went to Bourkes collection). The "newest" car in the graveyard is a '55.[/QUOTE]

What you refer to as Bourke's prototype in Bob's collection was not a Studebaker prototype. The car was Bob's personal 1954 Commander Starliner that Bob made modifications to.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The new small "Lark" was known internally as the B-62, 62B, 621 and the 622. It used an independant front suspension with ball joints, rather than Studebakers traditional kingpins. The upper A arm was of the conventional type (but different than the standard Stude issue) but the lower arm had a single inboard pivot and used a strut to control fore and aft movement. The lower arm arangement is similar to the early Mustang, although the spring acted on the lower suspension arm whereas Fords acted on the upper arm. The rear suspension was also independant and used swing axles.
                  There were approxamately 12 engines built and at least one car prototype running when Sherwood Egbert took over as President and killed the project. I was told by a reliable witness that there was also a Champ pickup running around with the flat four in it for development miles. 2 engines, 2 sets of NOS pistons and some Engineering drawings are all that have survived of the project. Everything else was destroyed.

The car was going to be offered in the W-F-J-D-and P body styles.
                  Last edited by R2Andrea; 10-07-2010, 05:04 PM.
                  R2Andrea

Comment

Rumor has it that the Sparrow prototype is parked in the underground tunnel near the engineering building, but the entrance is filled in with dirt....at least that is the rumor I am trying to start.
                    sigpic
                    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

R2 Andy,

Thanks for such detailed information. I had no idea Studebaker had engineered a more modern suspension system for the baby Lark. I assume the larger Lark would continue to be built on the current, 108" chassis (complete with kingpins), true?
                      From a historical standpoint, this was an interesting proposal. Except for the base Chevy II, no american manufacture offered a four cylinder engine in the '60's - only the growing number of imports.
                      This would have been an interesting (and heavy, I would think) small car, as Studebaker would have had a small, yet traditional body on frame construction.
                      Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
                      \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by 2R2 View Post
                        From a historical standpoint, this was an interesting proposal. Except for the base Chevy II, no american manufacture offered a four cylinder engine in the '60's - only the growing number of imports.
                        One might consider International Harvester's Scout SUV as it had a V8 engine cut in half lengthways for a four-cylinder engine option. It continued as an option until the late 1970's. It is a shame that the Sparrow car wasnt produced as it may have brought about many innovations. Even more sad is that the prototype didnt remain in existance to be displayed in the museum.
                        sigpic
                        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by 2R2 View Post
                          Except for the base Chevy II, no american manufacture offered a four cylinder engine in the '60's - only the growing number of imports.
                          This would have been an interesting (and heavy, I would think) small car, as Studebaker would have had a small, yet traditional body on frame construction.
                          Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                          One might consider International Harvester's Scout SUV as it had a V8 engine cut in half lengthways for a four-cylinder engine option. It continued as an option until the late 1970's. It is a shame that the Sparrow car wasnt produced as it may have brought about many innovations. Even more sad is that the prototype didnt remain in existance to be displayed in the museum.
                          The Pontiac Tempest beat the Chevy II by one year and International by a few months to the market with a four cylinder engine. Like the International, Pontiac's four was '1/2 a V8'-based at 155 cubic inches.

Craig
                          Last edited by 8E45E; 10-07-2010, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                            What you refer to as Bourke's prototype in Bob's collection was not a Studebaker prototype. The car was Bob's personal 1954 Commander Starliner that Bob made modifications to.[/QUOTE]

Not exactly, other cars. I think he also had the white Wagonare prototype and the black Lark with the angled grille.
                            Chris Dresbach

Comment

What you refer to as Bourke's prototype in Bob's collection was not a Studebaker prototype. The car was Bob's personal 1954 Commander Starliner that Bob made modifications to.
                              Not exactly, other cars. I think he also had the white Wagonare prototype and the black Lark with the angled grille.[/QUOTE]

Those are the Brooks Stevens cars, Chris! How many times have you mentioned that in your previous posts??

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                                Not exactly, other cars. I think he also had the white Wagonare prototype and the black Lark with the angled grille.
                                Those are the Brooks Stevens cars, Chris! How many times have you mentioned that in your previous posts??

Craig[/QUOTE]

Stevens, Bourke... Yeah, that sounds the same ya know.... lol
                                Oops.
                                Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                                X