Gearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Gearing

I am going to guess the answer will be NO, but, does anyone know if the ring and pinion on my Timken 3/4 ton rear axle interchanges with ANY other differentials?

The 5.57:1 ratio is just so LOW, but I LOVE the look of that old split center rear axle I do not want to get rid of it.

My only other option would be to add a second vendor on the back of the trans? or maybe a second trans on the back. Hmmm a 4 WD transfer case on backwards to increase ratio?

I can't say how common it is, but the seller of my '53 2R11 replaced the low rear end with one with a 4.11 gear. I believe it's the same Timken as your truck. I think he said that he pulled the rear end out of a '54.
    Last edited by mbstude; 04-10-2012, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Wow, that is actually interesting. I used your input and went into the parts book and in the trucks parts book on page 283 it shows my rear end {hahaha I said "rearend"} and it list that rear end for the 2R 3R and E models 10, 11, 12.
      Then on page 300 in the part number list is shows my 5.57:1 as fitting the same models, but then when I go down to the 4.11:1 gear it only shows it fitting model 11 but in all 2R, 3R, and E...Should that fit my 2R10?

If yes, does ANY of you part suppliers have a 682 046 set? PLEASE....
      If no one has the gear set, does anyone have a used split center rearend with a 4.11:1 ratio?

While I am asking, do any suppliers have a yoke for my diff part number 674186 or with cover style {what is the difference?} #1685547?
      I put a new seal in my pinion and is still weeps just a bit and the yoke was pretty grooved up so if I am tearing into it, I would like to swap it out too.

PM me or email me if you have one, Mike, Dave, Bob {c&b} anybody?
      Last edited by kmac530; 04-10-2012, 04:20 PM. Reason: edit

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
        If no one has the gear set, does anyone have a used split center rearend with a 4.11:1 ratio?
        I have a 'spare' rearend {hehe- I said rearend too!!!} but I have no idea what ratio it might be.
        I am where I am, and it is hanging under my someday it's gonna be a trailer down in El Cajon...

As for the parts- I'll have to get back to you on that- if Mike dosen't get to you first.
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

If the gears are not available anywhere, next time one of you guys are going to be down in El Cajon let me know and we can check it out.

Comment

A rear end from a 2R11 or 3R11 would fit your 2R10. Both are 3/4 ton trucks, the only difference being the engine. The reason the 4.11 is only listed in the parts book for the 2R11 and 3R11 is because those trucks have the 245 engine, and it looks like that ratio wasn't available with a 2R10 which would've had the 170 engine.

For the gears, you might try Bo Markham.. I've PMed you his email.

Comment

Good luck. You are searching for the Holy Grail for the "49-55 R/E10, 11, 12 trucks; the 4.11 rear gears are rare, rare, rare.

There were also a few Ford F250s which used the 4.11 gears.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                Good luck. You are searching for the Holy Grail for the "49-55 R/E10, 11, 12 trucks; the 4.11 rear gears are rare, rare, rare.

There were also a few Ford F250s which used the 4.11 gears.

jack vines
                Guess I'm pretty lucky in that mine has one then.

Comment

Jack is correct, most of these poor things had 5.xx or 6.xx as STANDARD gears! A 4.11 is like finding a needle in a haystack. Harvest time is coming in the NW......

Comment

In our 1949 2R10 we have installed a rebuilt 245 six with overdrive; with the 5.571 differential and 7.00x16 tires, 2500 rpm is now 56 mph. That helps; i can now drive in traffic on the Interstate, keeping well unto the right while monster SUVs and four-door pickups fly by on $4.00 gasoline.

i am not so enamored of "the look" of the original rear axle, but would like to keep the 14-inch brakes and the "original" appearance of the truck, which is, effectively, now a 2R11. My Studebaker Truck Data Book indicates that from 1 October 1948 onward Studebaker offered a 4.857 differential for the 2R10. i have not yet found these gears in the Parts Book, but surely there must -- I hope! -- be a set somewhere. With the 4.857 differential and overdrive, final drive would be 3.42, which would be more than good enough for me and my 245. In any case, it seems to me, the 4.857 gearset is the alternative to seek. i hope to find one, and if anyone has that gearset for sale, i am ready to buy it.

God's Peace to you.

d

Comment

Remove the yoke and take it to a bearing supply store or a large auto parts store, they may be able to supply you with a "repair sleeve" to fix the yoke so your new seal will work. Much cheaper and easier than finding a new yoke. Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
                      Auburn, GA

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
                        Jack is correct, most of these poor things had 5.xx or 6.xx as STANDARD gears! A 4.11 is like finding a needle in a haystack. Harvest time is coming in the NW......
                        Harvest time? Harvest time as in you need my truck as a tractor? Or, harvest time as in you are finding me one to glean?

Comment

If we could get enough people together, we could have sets made from Boston Gear. Personally I like the look of the original diff but, I am going to replace it with a Dana 70hd to get the 4.11 gears I am looking for. Neal

Comment

On top of liking the LOOK of the diff, I like the huge rear drums look and they work fantastic. Then to top off my reasons for wanting to keep the OE rearend, I have already invested a substantial amount in the front rims having had them custom made to the "Big 6" bolt pattern and I do not want to change the rearend and have it have a different bolt pattern on the back when the fronts lookm so good.

Neal,
                            Any idea how much something like that would run? Pretty pricey I am sure.
                            Last edited by kmac530; 04-11-2012, 06:47 PM. Reason: add

Comment

On top of liking the LOOK of the diff, I like the huge rear drums look and they work fantastic. Then to top off my reasons for wanting to keep the OE rearend, I have already invested a substantial amount in the front rims having had them custom made to the "Big 6" bolt pattern and I do not want to change the rearend and have it have a different bolt pattern on the back when the fronts look so good.
                              Agree completely. I 100% prefer the look of the '49-'55 trucks with the Budd wheels to the later plain-vanilla Ford wheels. No way would I give up those brakes and wheels.

I am going to replace it with a Dana 70hd to get the 4.11 gears I am looking for. Neal
                              Why go to the Dana 70? Stude used the Dana 60 from '56-64.

jack vines
                              Last edited by PackardV8; 04-12-2012, 07:26 AM.
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X