Studebaker script V8 valve cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker script V8 valve cover?

Is there such a thing, did studebaker ever make one?

TO: johnod,----- Nope, .....Wish they did!

Comment

Studebaker never made them, but several others have over the years....
      Jeff

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rick Courtier Engine.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	1675710
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

It never fails to surprise me how many people tell me they didn't know studebaker made engine covers like these.

Click image for larger version

Name:	march 002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	1675711
        Jon Stalnaker
        Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by Sdude View Post
          It never fails to surprise me how many people tell me they didn't know studebaker made engine covers like these.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18172[/ATTACH]
          Thats cause we all threw them out whe we improved them, along with all those 57 chev FI units that didn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
            Studebaker never made them, but several others have over the years....
            Jeff

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18171[/ATTACH]
            Those are nice, who made those?

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
              TO: johnod,----- Nope, .....Wish they did!
              That unfortunately is what i thought, but no harm asking, thanks.

Comment

John, make your own! Lots of Studes have cast 'Studebaker' script that will fit on sbc valve covers. Funny, but earlier this week I was making plans to make my own for my car, just can't decide if I'm going to use cast stude script,or champion script or 283 studebaker valve cover stickers...regardless, I have an old set of Cal Custom finned aluminum valve covers that I'm going to mill the center two fins flat and then attach the script, or the stickers on the flat area. I'm just trying to decide what to do to for an oil filler for the engine, because the valve covers have no provision for that, so I would have to put the oil fill tube back on the intake manifold, but was kinda wanting to update to a more efficient aftermarket manifold that has no hole for an oil filler. Regards, Junior.
                sigpic
                1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                  John, make your own! Lots of Studes have cast 'Studebaker' script that will fit on sbc valve covers. Funny, but earlier this week I was making plans to make my own for my car, just can't decide if I'm going to use cast stude script,or champion script or 283 studebaker valve cover stickers...regardless, I have an old set of Cal Custom finned aluminum valve covers that I'm going to mill the center two fins flat and then attach the script, or the stickers on the flat area. I'm just trying to decide what to do to for an oil filler for the engine, because the valve covers have no provision for that, so I would have to put the oil fill tube back on the intake manifold, but was kinda wanting to update to a more efficient aftermarket manifold that has no hole for an oil filler. Regards, Junior.

If you can mill for script you should be able to mill for a push in breather/oil fill cap, I would think.

Comment

Junior

In case you are planning to put an opening in the valve cover for a PCV valve, I know you know that a baffle is needed. In case you don't know, Summit, Jegs, etc carry gaskets that allow the push-in style addons and have a baffle built in. Makes equipping a valve cover with a baffle a non-event.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by johnod View Post
                      If you can mill for script you should be able to mill for a push in breather/oil fill cap, I would think.
                      yup...could do that, but don't really want to put the oil filler/breather on the valve covers, like the clean look of just the finned covers. Went out to the garage to revisit things and work on my over drive handle/manual choke cable project. Looking at my old school intake manifold, I don't know how the oil fill tube/breather cap assembly will clear my (new)chrome thermostat housing...looks like they will hit each other. The t-stat housing has a bung that I put the thermo switch sensor for my electric fan into. Not too sure how I would switch things around. Regardless, I measured the Champion and Studebaker scripts on my grill bars (about 43.5 cm)so they will take just about the whole length of a SBC valvecover, but I think they would look great. My Cal Customs have a crown on them (looking from the side) so I would have to gently bend the script to match the contour of the crown, but this should be ok because they are made out of pot metal, and should be able to be bent this slight amount...one would hope. My brother glued some Pontiac script (Acadian Canso) onto his stock sheetmetal sbc valvecovers with silicone...they've stuck on for about 5 yrs now, but he alas, he has not run the engine yet, so it's yet to be determined if it this would be effective way of attaching the Studebaker script. Regards, Junior.
                      sigpic
                      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                        Junior

In case you are planning to put an opening in the valve cover for a PCV valve, I know you know that a baffle is needed. In case you don't know, Summit, Jegs, etc carry gaskets that allow the push-in style addons and have a baffle built in. Makes equipping a valve cover with a baffle a non-event.

Bob
                        hey Bob, thats great to know, because I was wondering that this afternoon. Shone a flashlight down the oil fill hole of my cheapie chome steel valvecovers and couldn't see how the baffle was attached. No evidence of spot welds on from the outsides of the covers...so I was wondering what I would do for baffles if I had to go with my breathers/caps in my valve covers. Trying to avoid that as I want to keep the clean look of the finned Cal Customs with no hiccups. A little confused how the gaskets would have a built in baffle, did you mean the the grommet thingie that the pcv valve gets pushed into has a built in baffle? Regards, Junior.
                        sigpic
                        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

hey Bob, thats great to know, because I was wondering that this afternoon. Shone a flashlight down the oil fill hole of my cheapie chome steel valvecovers and couldn't see how the baffle was attached. No evidence of spot welds on from the outsides of the covers...so I was wondering what I would do for baffles if I had to go with my breathers/caps in my valve covers. Trying to avoid that as I want to keep the clean look of the finned Cal Customs with no hiccups. A little confused how the gaskets would have a built in baffle, did you mean the the grommet thingie that the pcv valve gets pushed into has a built in baffle? Regards, Junior.
                          These are what I used on the 83 Avanti when I adapted the Brodex valve covers. So far so good after about 500 miles.

Free Shipping - Moroso Breather Grommets with Integral Baffles with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Valve Cover Grommets at Summit Racing.

I just mill a 1.25" hole where it clears the lifters and pop in the baffled gasket and PCV valve. They make them in a couple of ID's

A couple of companies make variations if you want to search for other options.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                            These are what I used on the 83 Avanti when I adapted the Brodex valve covers. So far so good after about 500 miles.

Free Shipping - Moroso Breather Grommets with Integral Baffles with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Valve Cover Grommets at Summit Racing.

I just mill a 1.25" hole where it clears the lifters and pop in the baffled gasket and PCV valve. They make them in a couple of ID's

A couple of companies make variations if you want to search for other options.

Bob
                            bob, thanks for the link. How do you get oil in the engine with these, do you have remove the whole grommet? Thanks, Junior.
                            sigpic
                            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

bob, thanks for the link. How do you get oil in the engine with these, do you have remove the whole grommet? Thanks, Junior.

Junior

I just use it on the PCV valve, the oil filler is just a normal gasket and the cap has filter in it so the baffle is not needed.

The drivers side is the filler (no baffle) and you can just make out the PCV valve (baffled) on the passenger side. These are a set of resurrected covers from an older circle track car. Recycling at it's best.

I don't have an oil consumption problem with the configuration. It does use a fair amount of 91 octane though.!!!!

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X