289 engine question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 289 engine question

Wondering if 289 from 57 golden hawk is the sam as the 289 in the 63 gt hawk from oil pan up to the heads? Also, are the wheel well chrome trims the same? Thinking about getting a 63 gt hawk, and just want to know what parts are interchangeable. Thanx for any help.

Same 289 'short block'.....Wheel opening mouldings interchange between the two.

Comment

No, they are not the same, but the differences are small.
      '63 would have a 'full flow' oil system with the oil filter on the side of the block.
      Valve covers would be a 2 bolt hold down style.
      Intake manifold would be different (2bbl)

So... You can bolt in the later engine and drive happy.
      If you are a purist for looks, you'd need to change two bolts on heach head to fit the 4 bolt valve covers.
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Deep,...You're correct about the 'full flow', of course, but He's really asking if these engines will interchange without running into problems....and I'd like to reiterate that they certainly will.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket3pilot View Post
          Wondering if 289 from 57 golden hawk is the sam as the 289 in the 63 gt hawk from oil pan up to the heads? Also, are the wheel well chrome trims the same? Thinking about getting a 63 gt hawk, and just want to know what parts are interchangeable. Thanx for any help.
          Up to and INCLUDING Heads, or Excluding Heads?

The '57 GH has Low Compression Truck Heads, the '63 has 8.5 to 1 Heads when used with stock 289 Dished, non-Avanti Pistons and THIN Gaskets which is more than '57GH but less than R2 Avanti also Supercharged, so it should work if you use the '63 Heads, just don't raise the Comp. much more, surfacing Block or Heads.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Guess im mainly asking about the crank and rods, when referring to engine components. Just found out my crank is cracked.

Comment

Guess im mainly asking about the crank and rods, when referring to engine components. Just found out my crank is cracked.
              Same on the crank and rods. ('63 will have a longer snout on the crank....just use all the '63 crank parts ahead of its front main bearing)

Comment

The '63 WILL have the "Long Nose" Crank, but with the proper Spacers, Crank Hub, Pulleys etc. it will be no Problem.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I def wanna keep the original block. Heads are machinable. It needs line bored too. Just weighing cost options of buying this 63, or searching for individual parts. And thanx all of u for replying. Really enjoying my new studebaker addiction.

Comment

I def wanna keep the original block. Heads are machinable. It needs line bored too. Just weighing cost options of buying this 63, or searching for individual parts. And thanx all of u for replying. Really enjoying my new studebaker addiction.
                    You definitely bought the right model......best of luck!

Comment

Got a picture?

I'm guessing the crack/indication is in a rod journal, in the radius on the "underside" in line with the main bearing?
                      Like over time it would propagate to eventually look like this -

4 year old Post 20 here suggests it may be most common in 289 cranks, although didn't poster Lark girl's 259 break recently?.

Magnafluxing (wet method fluorescent) crank and rods is pretty high on my list of stuff to do to any engine I care much about.
                      My recently acquired 289 crank will be MX'd as soon as I can figure a way to extract it from the block.

Comment

I sent my engine to a shop to have it mxed and cleaned and checked. They just called me tonight and shared tge news. Tge gt hawk i was looking at is on craigslist in annapolus. i searched under baltimore cl. its ptetty rough, but might have some parts.

Comment

Working...
                        X