Since you guys know so much...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Since you guys know so much...

I'm always surprised while reading these threads how much knowledge there is about even specific cars by people who regularly post here. Someone will say, "I remember that one from 15 years ago. It was owned by Joe Shmo from Kokomo and he repaired the left, rear fender and put a new power steering pump in it before selling it. Looks like it's had something or other done to it since."

Anyone know anything about this one in the Chicago area:

I've seen it on another internet car site 6 or 8 months ago so it's been on the market a while though this is the first time I've seen it on CL.

This one was for sale last summer in Indiana. I was interested but my mother getting sick and a business trip out of the country kept me from it before it sold
    Mike sal

Comment

I thought the wagon that went for $2K less was a much better buy. Even with the added accessories, you've got another several $100.'s - $1000. to get things right...

Comment

I am guessing that it is a Canadian built 1964 Cruiser and that the 05-- that they give for a "VIN" should be C5----.
        It is a well equipped car with A/C, ps, pdb and AM/FM radio.
        IMO, the price is way too high considering the condition, espcially the seats, and having too many doors (I know that some like four doors, but I am talking about how the market sees them). .
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If that car was perfect, meaning never had any rust repair and after examining the under side and finding no issues I would try to haggle for it. 64 Cruisers were wonderful cars. I'd say 2 grand invested after haggling and buying would put this car in top condition. It may be almost there now. Somebody needs to consider purchasing that car. Definitely not a project car. It dosen't have to be concourse perfect. Run it as is and protect it from deterioation. jimmijim
          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Cruisers which are nicer than this one come up fairly regularly for less money. Even 2-3 thousand less. I'd keep a sharp eye if I were you. Given the interior and a few of the unknowns, I would expect to pay closer to 5K for this one, or one like it.
            sals54

Comment

The question would be, "keep a sharp eye out" where? I just don't know where to look other than Ebay, CL, etc. Any suggestions for other places to search?

Comment

I agree with Sal, 5,000-6,000 is probably the market. It's a nice survivor car.

Comment

Sal, let us know when a better one shows up at a CASO price. cheers jimmijim
                  sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

The secret to success is trolling. I look at all the Craigslist major cities along the West Coast almost every day. I search for most anything that interests me. Sometimes I'm searching for Studebakers, or Mercedes 450SLs, or Kellisons, or whatever. But whatever you are searching for, be dilligent. I just bought a 450SL for half its value just because I happened to be looking for one. It showed up on CL and I had it bought within a couple hours of it showing up.
                    A few years ago I was trolling CL for Studes just before I went to bed. A 62 Convert showed up for SUPER cheap. I emailed the guy and as the first contact, I bought the car first thing the next morning. Sight unseen. It was THAT cheap.
                    I found an MGA roadster last year, which is a running car, for cheap. Again, I was the first contact and got it for the asking price. He said, (as did the Convertible seller), that his phone has been ringing off the hook since he posted, but I had first dibs.
                    So, if you're serious about buying, then you have to go on a rampage. Search every day. And beyond your back yard. A 4 hour drive with a trailer can save many thousands of dollars in your purchase.
                    Years ago, I was looking for a new truck. I called all around the Sacramento/San Francisco area. I was able to find the truck I wanted, 4 hours away, but I saved $5000 from any of the dealers in my area.
                    Same concept for old cars too. Shop all around and be patient.
                    sals54

Comment

Originally posted by jimmijim8 View Post
                      Sal, let us know when a better one shows up at a CASO price. cheers jimmijim
                      This one could have been bought for a 'CASO' price: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...on-destruction

Craig

Comment

Stone dog, you posted a link to a nice 4 door 64 Daytona that is about half the price of this Cruiser. That car looks to be worth the money.

Comment

You're quite right sir, I did link to a nice 64 Daytona. It does indeed look very nice. There's even a youtube video of it. But, firstly, it's not half the price of the other...that's the starting bid. Secondly, I did state in that thread that it was too far from me in Indiana as it is about 2,000 miles away. I guess I'm looking for one I can go look at in person on the weekend and make a decision within a couple days rather than on the spot after flying in and risking having to purchase another $400 ticket back to Indianapolis.

Comment

Originally posted by StoneDog View Post
                            You're quite right sir, I did link to a nice 64 Daytona. It does indeed look very nice. There's even a youtube video of it. But, firstly, it's not half the price of the other...that's the starting bid. Secondly, I did state in that thread that it was too far from me in Indiana as it is about 2,000 miles away. I guess I'm looking for one I can go look at in person on the weekend and make a decision within a couple days rather than on the spot after flying in and risking having to purchase another $400 ticket back to Indianapolis.
                            I have purchased 90% of the cars/trucks that I bought over the past two decades, sight unseen and had them shipped to me. Most were more money than you are talking about. There is always some risk. You have to weigh that against the cost of travel and time to go and check out a vehicle.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                              I have purchased 90% of the cars/trucks that I bought over the past two decades, sight unseen and had them shipped to me. Most were more money than you are talking about. There is always some risk. You have to weigh that against the cost of travel and time to go and check out a vehicle.
                              I concur..
                              sals54

Comment

Working...
                              X