Current status of the Packard proving ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current status of the Packard proving ground

I got a chance to drive around the Studebaker proving ground test track last Sunday and one of the club members (Who also works for Bosch) and I got talking. He is one of the few people who has driven over 100 mph on BOTH the Studebaker test track, and the Packard test track up in Michigan. I know the Studebaker side of things is currently owned by Bosch, and when he got to drive the Packard track Ford owned it at the time. What's currently going on at the Packard proving ground, if anything?
    Chris Dresbach

You can read about the Proving Grounds here.

An Australian Organisation Dedicated To The Preservation Of The Product, Properties & History Of The Packard Motor Car Company
    Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO

Comment

Or search the Forum here~

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/
      StudeDave '57
      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
      SDC Member since 1985

past President
      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
      San Diego Chapter SDC
      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

It is now mostly a housing development. Only about 100 yards of the high speed oval are left. They were able to save the main enterance and garages & Guard House. When my son, Geoff & I were there in August of 2007 a lot of work had been done to bring back what is left. See link below - I'll see if I can find photos from our trip.
        An Australian Organisation Dedicated To The Preservation Of The Product, Properties & History Of The Packard Motor Car Company

Soon there will be little left of the manufacturing facilities of Studebaker-Packard. When we were looking for the main enterance, we passed by the manufacturing plant that had been built in 55 by Packard for machining but could not find the proving ground enterance - stopped twice to ask and no one knew anything about Packard, till a young truck driver told us where to go --- less than a 1/4 mile away. Fords care of this facility was one of total neglect.
        It is interesting to see how far ahead Studebaker & Packard were in building these facilities. Both built in the late 20's while Ford & Chrysler didn't really get first class facilities till the mid 50's.

Comment

I ran across this at TTAC:

Start the video, then pause. Click on the “3D” icon on the YouTube menu bar to select your choice of 3D formats or 2D. Video and original photos courtesy of Cars In DepthWe’ve all seen too many pictures and videos of the magnificent ruin that was once the Packard plant on Detroit’s east side. It turns out that there’s a Packard site in the Detroit area that’s not a ruin, the Packard Proving Grounds in Shelby Twp. about 15 miles north of Eight Mile…

which gives a pretty good description of the present status of the old Packard proving ground.

There are a number of great pictures and 3D YouTube videos (although you can turn off the 3D).
          Last edited by JimK; 05-10-2011, 09:00 PM.
          Jim K.
          63 Hawk

Comment

I'd like to take a picture of that Packard Proving ground water tower.

I photograph towers where ever I go.

Little odd wouldn't you say?
            61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

If you have it, type in packard proving grounds into google earth. You can clearly see that there is only a short piece of track left, but you can look at the historical imagery to see the whole track as recently as 2003. By the 2005 picture, the track is gone and there are houses.
              Travis..

Comment

I just looked it up on Google maps. Odd place. You can still see where the track used to go. It's a shame it's not still there.
                Chris Dresbach

Comment

61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

I have a neat brass plaque presented at that Detroit proving ground for the Classic Car Club of America back in 1955 co sponsored by Studebaker & Packard.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                    MELBOURNE.

Comment

Originally posted by 4961Studebaker View Post
                      Interesting view, Kevin; thanks.

Time marches on. As sad as are many of us to see Studebaker's manufacturing facilities come tumbling down, at least the fate of The Packard Proving Ground probably isn't in the cards for the former Studebaker Proving Ground.

Studebaker's Proving Ground is so far from developing metropolitan South Bend (or any other locale, for that matter), that many of us -indeed, most of us- won't live to see Studebaker's Proving Ground endure this ignobility. BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I'd like to take a picture of that Packard Proving ground water tower.

I just like that they preserved it with donations and didn't argue about whether Grounds had an s on the end of it or not! That's an interesting photo hobby, Kevin. Inanimate objects retaining water are probably a much more receptive subject that the usual ones.

Comment

We are very, very lucky that Studebaker's Administration Building remains intact and largely unchanged since Studebaker days, and same with the Proving Ground and Proving Ground Mansion. Packard folks really can't say much of the same about either.
                          Bill Pressler
                          Kent, OH
                          (formerly Greenville, PA)
                          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                          All are in Australia now

Comment

I photograph towers where ever I go.
                            How about this one which is currently enjoying an afterlife as a restaurant & bar? http://www.journalofcommerce.com/article/id37736

Craig

Comment

How come the streets aren't named Patrician, Clipper, Hawk, and One-eighty?
                              KURTRUK
                              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X