Wheeler Dealers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheeler Dealers

Y'all hear Edd China is leaving Wheeler Dealers?

Why did Edd China leave Wheeler Dealers? It was a hard decision for me to make but I'm going to explain exactly why I felt like I had to leave the show after...

Interesting, They were originally able to do the show with five people, whereas, it now takes 45. Surprisingly!!! Costs and time have gotten out of hand so they need to modify the show format to bring costs under control. I guess I'm old school and would probably cut costs by going back to the old garage, using a lot less folks in the production and do what made the show interesting initially.

With Ed and Aaron Kaufman history, it's getting much more difficult to watch these shows. Restoration Shop has also gone downhill, so I guess Kindig and "Gulp" Fantomworks are the remaining ones of interest to me.

In all fairness, I'll watch the new Wheeler Dealers initially, but my expectations are pretty low.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
      Interesting, They were originally able to do the show with five people, whereas, it now takes 45. Surprisingly!!! Costs and time have gotten out of hand so they need to modify the show format to bring costs under control. I guess I'm old school and would probably cut costs by going back to the old garage, using a lot less folks in the production and do what made the show interesting initially.

With Ed and Aaron Kaufman history, it's getting much more difficult to watch these shows. Restoration Shop has also gone downhill, so I guess Kindig and "Gulp" Fantomworks are the remaining ones of interest to me.

In all fairness, I'll watch the new Wheeler Dealers initially, but my expectations are pretty low.

Bob
      Good points...I believe a show with a title of "BACKYARD CASO'S" could be done with a microphone & camera! A potentially endless exposition of innovation by everyday Joe's working under shade trees, family garages, and lean to sheds. Doing amazing things with flea-market grade (tools), used toothbrushes, duct tape, and coat hangers.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

"Old Farts working on cars"

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
          Good points...I believe a show with a title of "BACKYARD CASO'S" could be done with a microphone & camera! A potentially endless exposition of innovation by everyday Joe's working under shade trees, family garages, and lean to sheds. Doing amazing things with flea-market grade (tools), used toothbrushes, duct tape, and coat hangers.
          John, today's CASO need only a smart phone and it has a built in mic!

Comment

The tail is wagging the dog - now. I taught Television Production at the college level for 23+ years (and was a studio tech for 9 years prior). Prior to the mid-90's video production was a mystery to most people. At best a few had access to some form of VHS recording and no capabilities to edit. Back then a VHS "cuts only" editor cost about $6,000+. The quality was not considered "Broadcast Standard" and there was no venue for the video to be seen.

The mid 90's bought the DV format, low(er) cost 3 CCD cameras and computer based editing. Still you were probably into it for $10,000 in equipment and the only outlet was selling VHS tapes/DVD's in obscure markets.

For many years now we have had sensational video images from camera phones and even better from video capable DSLR cameras. We have You Tube, Vimeo and the like for distribution. And if done right these can become (for a few) a money making venture. No longer is video something mysterious and obscure - shackled with expenses. Even the processes have been set forth by the available "in production" footage offered at the end of DVD's.

So, one no longer needs $100,000's of thousands of dollars in equipment and a lifetime perfecting a craft. You just need a unique idea, and a few thousand dollars in equipment. It is the idea (story) that is King and processes either take care of themselves through technology, or almost seem innate to anyone under 30. Of course the $250,000 a year pilot who is making payments on his 5 million dollar helicopter and the $100,000 a year cameraman doesn't see this as an advantage because they are being undercut severely by a kid with a $1,000 drone that gets shots the helicopter crew never could.

From what I can see of the early Graveyard Carz shows they had a minimal crew and a production team. That whole story revolved around Mark Worman trying to document a build to prove he wasn't rebodying cars. The crew was from a local college. So, yes it can be done. When I see what goes into the Goldrush show it boggles the mind. And it seems Wheeler Dealer has inclined that way too. As some often comment NASCAR has turned into housewives cheering for their favorite detergent. Money sure ruins things, doesn't it.
            '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
              I taught Television Production at the college level for 23+ years (and was a studio tech for 9 years prior)...

When I see what goes into the Goldrush show it boggles the mind...
              Thanks for your post. And please don't think I am discounting your thoughts by not leaving in the entire post when quoting you. However, after seeing that first sentence, I jokingly wanted to say, "It's your fault!" But, with your experience & qualifications, you can give us insight few of us have. It is easy to get caught up in the drama (real or contrived), and never give serious thought as to what goes on behind the scenes. I am guilty as anyone when it comes to critiquing things I really don't know much about. It goes back to that overused expression about "You wouldn't eat the sausage if you saw how it's made." Well, I've seen how lots of things are made, including sausage. I still eat it, but after seeing how it's made, I'm a little more cautious of where it came from, how much, & when.

I enjoy watching Crab Boats, Truckers, Loggers, Gator hunters, tuna fishing, dysfunctional Alaskans, Trappers, and even Gold Miners. What amazes me is much of the drama is focused around crazy "deadlines," and claims of instant impoverishment, if a little failed bearing can't be replaced in the next ten minutes. All the while, in the background, literally millions of dollars in equipment & accommodations keep creeping into the shots. Horrible predictions of doom because of how far away supplies are, and a couple of shots later, beautiful view from a camera on an aircraft.

Personally, I don't care all that much if a reality show isn't all that real. What I care about, is that it is fun and entertaining. I will buy into fun & entertaining. What I get upset about, is when I overpay for real things that don't live up to their claims. Like a mower that don't mow good, or a pressure washer that don't build its rated pressure. Often, my anger at someone who sold me the crap, is equally directed at myself for believing it.

To the "Wheeler Dealers" show, I was always intrigued of how they would show them using a rattle-can to paint a rocker or fender on something like a Jaguar or Mercedes... I have used them on utility trailers, wheels, plows, and implements. If I ever attempt to sell any of you a car I have fixed up, you can be assured, it will not have been painted with a can of rustoleum.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I thought the original 'Wheeler Dealers' was/is an entertaining show!

Comment

I have enjoyed the Wheeler Dealers show for, what appears to be precisely why Edd is leaving it. I have found that watching Edd work on various cars was revealing and confidence building. I would sometimes go out to the garage after watching an episode and tackle a small job on the car or truck with renewed confidence. The occasional tension between Mike and Edd always seemed a bit contrived and it was obvious they really liked each other. It was all part of the show's formula. It has also been interesting to watch Edd over the years become more bright and animated in his presentation. In the beginning he seemed very subdued and almost monotone. I will look for whatever he shows up in next with great expectation. As for Wheeler Dealers, I will watch the new episodes and decide if there is still enough content to hold my interest and attention.
                  Ed Sallia
                  Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by spokejr View Post
                    John, today's CASO need only a smart phone and it has a built in mic!
                    Will a CASO spend the money for a smart phone?
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Which brings to mind the story of the goose that layed the golden egg...

Comment

Detroit Steel is worth watching.
                        Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                        jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Augh!

I haven't felt this bad since Joel left Mystery Science Theater 3000!

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                            Will a CASO spend the money for a smart phone?

Not me… I still have the, (as far as I know), last production touch screen device that is not a "smart' phone, a LG 306G. And it sucks as compared to its predecessors! I was forced into it simply because my old phone was 2G based and the telecom companies were abandoning that old technology.

If I wanted to shoot moving media, I would simply buy one of the Panasonic FZ cameras of which the late models have full 1080 HD capability and are reasonable in cost.

No fancy shmancy phones for me!

Comment

You might want to see this too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpBzrChs4fE

Wheeler Dealers was almost the only TV show I watched regularly, and it was for Ed 99,9% of the time. It is a shame Veloshitty wrecked it.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X