Australian Ute Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian Ute Photos

There was some interest in Utes from members after the last lot of swap meet photos I put up a week or so ago, so here are a couple more.

Here is a buddy's Holden Ute, with the optional Pontiac front clip.

A Holden Crewman, twin cab ute. I bought one when they first came out in 2003, an absolute POS! Terrible fuel consumption for a 6 cyl, and the back seat was very uncomfortable with no leg room. They also had diff problems, and an issue with the rear wheel studs shearing off. I traded mine within 18 months.

This is a mid '70's Holden 1 Tonner, tray back.

A '73 Holden HQ Panelvan. Very popular with the surfers of the day.
    Last edited by Aussie Hawk; 04-09-2012, 03:20 PM.
    Matt
    Brisbane
    Australia
    sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Wasn't the HQ what Patrolman Rockatansky drove in "Mad Max"?

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
      Wasn't the HQ what Patrolman Rockatansky drove in "Mad Max"?
      I don't think so: his unit was a ca. 1974 Ford Falcon, XC maybe?
      --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I could see me in the Pontiac Ute!!!
        Jamie McLeod
        Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
        1958 Commander "Christine"
        1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
        1955 Commander Sedan
        1964 Champ
        1960 Lark

Comment

No, I meant in the "family" parts, where he's on holiday with his wife and son just prior to the "event..." I'm pretty sure it's a butterscotch HQ.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Showbizkid,

There is a photo here,
            Importers of the Australian Ford Falcon - Mad Max Interceptor, Big Bopper, Nightrider and other MFP vehicles. Informational site about Australian cars: VH Charger, Holden Monaro.

Regards,
            Peet

Comment

That's the HJ Sandman Panel Van.
              John Clements
              Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

The Holden Ute came darn close to making it over here. That is until the "brain trust" that got a hold of GM North America killed Pontiac. I even remember participating in a contest at the Pontiac website to name it for the U.S. Market. A big part of current GM's market share paralysis is that they abandoned Pontiac. You can't tell me dropping a brand with a top ten selling model (G6) did anything good for their volume. You can see the heritage of the Pontiac G8 sedan clearly in the Holden Ute above.

Dropping Pontiac was a direct shot by those who control GM at the future of performance cars. Just one more reason I'm cutting up my GM card and will never own another new GM.

Comment

Yes young Rockatanski and family did have a Holden Sandman prior to him becoming "MAD". Then he switched to a XB GT coupe ( Interceptor ) to reek his revenge.
                  Love those films and if we are lucky there is another instalment on the way.
                  pb

Comment

Say, those are cute!

'Can't help but wonder why they didn't pursue a market here, especially since Ford was abandoning the Ranger, another inexplainably stupid move. I would think the Pontiac Ute could have picked up some of the Ranger sales Ford voluntarily gave back to the Japanese. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

the reason why

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                      Say, those are cute!

'Can't help but wonder why they didn't pursue a market here, especially since Ford was abandoning the Ranger, another inexplainably stupid move. I would think the Pontiac Ute could have picked up some of the Ranger sales Ford voluntarily gave back to the Japanese. BP
                      I read that Holden and Ford agreed that their UTEs would sell in North America, but to make it available to every dealer and a national push would have been impossible because of the labor pool and "stealing" employees from each other to satisfy a market they could not supply. It was mentioned why they didn't just build them in the US, it was also partly due to new tooling costs (more tooling) and DOT regulations. Think of the Subaru Brat...the reason it had seats in the back was because that made it a car, not a truck. And back in 63 Johnson backed GM-Ford-Chrysler to block the import of the VW truck that looked like the Corvair, Ford and Dodge A-100 trucks. VW out sold them....that is also why the Chevy LUV was imported as a cab and chassis, with the truck bed built, painted and installed here. Again that is why the paint didn't match on them. The Regulation is still on the books. The New Mercedes/Dodge van and new euro ford van are all shipped here with full interiors so they are taxed as passenger vehicles, when they arrive here, they are stripped and the parts are shredded. Cheaper that way than paying the TRUCK import tax.

Comment

That Holden Ute with the Pontiac front clip really is a nice looking vehicle!

Comment

The Pontiac/Holden Ute WAS a definite go for the Pontiac Division. It was coming for sure, I think as a 2011 model, until the bloodbath of 2009 wiped out Pontiac. People were warned it was going to be pricey. And, it was likely to be offered only with a V8. Kind of like the Chevy SSR, but not quite that high. There was also talk after Pontiac's Death about rebadging the G8 as a Chevy Caprice, and still bringing the Ute over, but that never materialized as GM's focus went to other more "socially responsible" models. As with the 1967 Studebakers, we'll never know now how even a limited number of Utes would have been received.

I know pundits said the Ute would only have a big market the first year as buyers who were waiting for such a thing would step up first. Executives and even the father of the idea, Bob Lutz, wondered about the staying power of a Ute long term. I agree that the Ute is sharp. Pontiac had the best styling in the industry before it's untimely demise. The G6 Coupes and Convertibles will become collectables, along with the Hot G8. It looks like Holden felt the same way about that I do. But, the G8 and Ute are really Holdens, not Pontiacs.
                          Last edited by 556063; 05-02-2012, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Another quick note on small trucks of all kinds. They've simply stopped selling. For the price differential, and even the now small mileage differential, buyers are voting with their feet and buying full size 1/2 ton versions.

Why? My 2009 Colorado Crew Cab 4x4 listed for only about $2000 less than a comparable full size half ton. The Ranger had a big price advantage over the Colorado, but it was still pretty much a 1980's model technology wise, and the number being sold did not justify an update. The 22-23 mpg average in my Colorado is only a mile or two better than a 1/2 ton. F150 Ecoboosts get 20+ mpg average now. Having a small garage was getting to be the only reason to buy a small truck. The savings you would think were there just aren't there.

Colorado/Canyon, Toyota and Nissan/Suzuki (same truck) will be your only choices next year for a midsize or small truck. Colorado/Canyon will lose it's dedicated plant at model change (Shreveport) and be built on the same lines as the 1/2 tons. Small and Midsize trucks are on life support.

Comment

Originally posted by 556063 View Post
                              There was also talk after Pontiac's Death about rebadging the G8 as a Chevy Caprice, and still bringing the Ute over, but that never materialized as GM's focus went to other more "socially responsible" models.
                              I guess I'd change "socially responsible" to "vehicles that would actually sell" (and they did!). If they also happen to be socially responsible, then all the better.
                              Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X