1910 Studebaker Car Hauler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1910 Studebaker Car Hauler

Could this be the earliest Studebaker car hauler?

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Hi Joe, What a great photo. Any chance of getting a copy of that pic to put in the Historic Studebaker Register Newsletter?
    Thanks, Dave..
    Dave Pink
    Victoria, Australia

1916 SF Roadster
    1925 ER Tourer
    1925 Panel Delivery
    1953 Champion Sedan
    1957 Golden Hawk
    1971 Avanti II

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
    http://www.studebakercarclub.net

Comment

Looks electric....
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
        Looks electric....
        Right, Jeff....looks like an enormous battery pack amidships down below.

'Neat photo. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Isn't that the same type of chassis being restored in Bellingham, WA

64 GT Hawk (K7)
          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by davepink53 View Post
            Hi Joe, What a great photo. Any chance of getting a copy of that pic to put in the Historic Studebaker Register Newsletter?
            Thanks, Dave..
            I was looking through Google Images when I came across this picture. Here is a link to where it came from originally:

Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

One vehicle hauling one vehicle? Why not just drive the car? I would think it would more likely be an early tow truck.
              Jon Stalnaker
              Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Box #5 posted a link to the rebuilding efforts of the old chassis; beautiful work being done! Somewhere in there was a plaque from the vehicle stating the vehicle would go 40 miles at 13 mph. Amazing isn't it that at one hundred and eleven years later we have the Chevrolet Volt that can also go about 40 miles on electric power; however, at between 30 and 55 mph. Progress? I suppose I should mention the Tesla Automobile and its fantastic Energy Pack (they have three)...the least expensive will move their new sedan 160 miles on a charge! Next up will go 230 miles and the top of the line battery pack will operate the car 300 miles on a single charge. The car is priced from $50K to $77K depending on the battery pack chosen.
                JimsLeadCommander

Comment

Originally posted by Sdude View Post
                  One vehicle hauling one vehicle? Why not just drive the car? I would think it would more likely be an early tow truck.
                  Jon, I'm sure that's what they meant. Those first-decade electric trucks were so slow it would be impractical to use one outside a city, as for inter-city travel. This was undoubtedly used just to move disabled vehicles, as you suggest.

It would take them a proverbial week to get that car from South Bend to Chicago on that truck, given its speed and range. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                    It would take them a proverbial week to get that car from South Bend to Chicago on that truck, given its speed and range. BP
                    Sounds like a superb adventure!
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Oh yes -- sounds like the superb first adventure of the Repo Man! All the real automotive advances were in finance, and there is a downside.

My dad can remember the construction of the street he now lives on, about 1926. Crushed stone was hauled in by electric dump trucks. They did not work a full day, as they had to head back to a depot to recharge. Sorry I can't report what make they were, but dude, he was four years old. His memories of the next year, when he was five, are much more detailed. A guy flew somewhere in an airplane. It was kind of a big deal.

Comment

Working...
                      X