Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WHAT,a 65 Studebaker with a CHEVY engine???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting thread. I do remember quite well the outrage, almost feelings of betrayal, that some people felt when they discovered their Oldsmobiles (and Cadillacs) had generic motors <g> from Chevrolet. A common spoken complaint of my elders was: "why am I paying the price for an Olds when its only a Chev?" Now, if GM had been smart enough to badge certain upscale models of Chevy and Pontiac as 'Olds Rocket powered' or 'Cadillac powered' as Studebaker did with 'Avanti powered', there wouldn't have been any kerfuffle. Marketting mistake created by overpaid and out of touch execs listening to beancounters, and going for the shortest term gain.

I always understood--or I thought--that the S10 (and GMC versions) were actually from the Isuzu design. Same with various Ford models during the time of the close co-operation and major stake that Ford had in Mazda at the time: The Ranger was (to me) obviously a Mazda pickup design even if the vehicle was built by Ford and sold as a Mazda, the Mercury Tracer in N.A/Ford ?Telstar? Au/NZ and elsewhere? / Ford ??? were actually Mazda 323 designs. Where it became interesting was during the Ford Probe/Mazda MX 6 /Mystere which were reverse imports, being built uniquely in North America at the same plant same line, and exported (as Mazdas) to Japan. Again it was based on A Mazda platform design I think--and both the Probe and the MX6 were at bottom the same car BUT worlds apart in execution and details, and quite different in 'feel' or so I always thought from behind the wheel.

The North American manufacturers had a hard time envisioning a smaller car over here, no matter how successful their partners or subsiduaries were elsewhere, and unfortunately if they had a good design, they tended to dumb it down terribly for sale here. Out of all the bankruptcy (and debt-Ford isn't out of the woods yet) chaos, at least one good thing has happened: Ford deciding to bring over 'real deal' Focus/Fiesta etc models, even if they build them here, its the real thing. GM had good cars coming in from Holden Australia--too bad they called them Pontiacs!

Comment

And didn't Chrysler use V-Dub engines in their sub-compacts? And AMC use some non AMC 4-cyl engines in Pacers and Gremlins?

John

Comment

Originally posted by BobGlasscock View Post
        I just ordered my '65 Cruiser, so thanks for the info. I'm cancelling.
        hell thats nothing!!!! after reading this post I drove down to my studebaker dealer to have a man-to-man with the sales jerk and wouldn't youknowit those bums went out of business..

(hehehehehehe)

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
          Funny seems no one likes those engines in those cars but about 95% of the modified Studebakers use SBC engines.....go figure???
          word!! i can dig this statement in a big way... i nearly trip over my own feet with laughter when a studebaker hot rodder snubs 65-66 C.B.S (Canadian Built Studebakers)

BY THE WAY:: It was understanding that these 283 and 194's used in the 65-66 line up were in someways better then their Chevy brothers... they seemed to have some parts built to a more heavy duty spec.. which adds up better since these engines were made for the industrial use (i.e. generators, refregeration, etc etc)...thats the way i remember being taught..perhaps I'm wrong...
          Last edited by beatnik64; 12-22-2010, 04:08 PM.

Comment

AMC used the Buick V-6, then GM took the engine back.

Comment

Originally posted by curt View Post
              AMC used the Buick V-6, then GM took the engine back.
              Was that the crazy-ass odd fire v-6.... my buddy put one in a t-bucket hot rod (metal body for you die-hards in the peanut gallery) and it's funny as hell.. runs pretty good too. It's a lot of fun to go to gas stations and see dudes fight ove rwhat size V8 it is...hahahaha and all the while it's mild-mannered V6

Comment

Not an International in a Ford any more.. I think they ended that program..

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
                What's the big deal? you can still get a Dodge Truck with a Cummins Engine, and a Ford with an International diesel.
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Yeah, but who did anything about it?

Actually, our family attended an Iroquis Chapter meet at the Art Park in Lewiston, N.Y. in the early '80's, and talked to a guy who was also of the opinion that aStudebaker was no place for a */^%@ Chevrolet engine! We walked over to his car - a beautiful Turquoise '66 Daytona with white vinyl roof - and he lifted the hood. Sure'nuff!! No more Chevy. In it's place, looking perfectly at home, was very nice Studebaker V8 installation!!

I wonder where that car is now....
                  Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
                  61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
                  Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
                  Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

I never really thought about it before, but I bet a good percentage of loyal Studebaker folks bought a '65 or '66 without even knowing about the GM engines. As we've discussed before, at least in my hometown, a large percentage of new Studebaker buyers those last few years were older folks.
                    Bill Pressler
                    Kent, OH
                    (formerly Greenville, PA)
                    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                    All are in Australia now

Comment

Related to the original post, the one I like the best is the engine series used by Dodge, Mitsubishi, Hyundai, Saturn, and Plymouth. They all used a single or similar design four cylinder block. The concept was a blank four cylinder block was milled, and then each of the car companies would purchase the block, and mill the engine to the company's specifications. It saves on each car company having to come up with an original block design, especially if the companies have shares in another company. The two series that stood out where the 4G61-4G69, and the ECC Chrysler Neon Engine. The 4G engines were from the Mitsubishi Sirius engine line, and the ECC engine, which was designed for the Neon, resembled the Chrysler K and Rover K engines. It was also shared with the Mitsubishi Eclipse and the Eagle Talon. If you have a Neon with an ECC engine, you're sharing an engine design with the Eclipse and the Eagle Talon. If you have, say, a 4G63T engine in a Plymouth Laser, which was a turbocharged variant of the engine, then you're sharing an engine with:

(Okay, I borrowed a little from Wikipedia, but I remember hearing about this from way way back in the Yahoo chatrooms, lol)

One of the bigger reasons for the sharing of engines between these companies was the history of DSM or Diamond Star Motors, which was a joint venture that began in the 70's between Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth, Mitsubishi, and Eagle.
                      1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

My '66 Commander 4-dr has the little 194 CID Chevy motor but it's still a relatively powerful little engine. I hate to admit it but years ago I had a '53 Coupe with a flat head 6 cyl and it literally wouldn't pull a greasy string. Conversely, I had a 59 Lark 2dr HT with V-8 4V and dual exhausts that would fly...
                        edp/NC
                        \'63 Avanti
                        \'66 Commander

Comment

When I was a little kid, early 70's, I remember my Grandpa saying the reason Studebaker went out of business was because they put those @#$%^%$@ Chevrolet engines in them. His last Stude was a 63 Lark Daytona wagonaire..
                          1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

I just sold 65 cruiser and it was a suprise how many callers did not know it had a chevy motor or the car was made in canada.

Comment

Originally posted by edpjr View Post
                              ...it literally wouldn't pull a greasy string...
                              Didja ever try wiping the grease off?

Years ago, they used to grease pigs and try to catch 'em. Very hard to catch but...wipe off the grease..much easier. So next time you try to pull a greasy string with your Studebaker, see if wiping off the grease doesnt make it work better.

Same thing with lightning...

John

Comment

Funny thing. I don't consider 65-66 Studes because of the Chevy engine. What makes it funny is I'm a die-hard Chevy lover; and know Chevy engines inside and out; and know they're excellent engines, cheaper to buy, fix, and hop up than Studes; and have no problem whatsoever with those that put them in Studes, knowing it's the most sensible choice. It's just that my interest in Studes includes not just the cars, but Stude running gear and getting to know them. For me, if I want a Chevy I'll get a another Camaro or Chevelle or Vette. BTDT.
                                Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                                Romans 15:13
                                Deuteronomy 31:6
                                Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
                                X