No announcement yet.

Fair Market Value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't agree with the above statement, that only a few Studebakers are are collectible. If your equating value to collectability, then I guess that you have a point, but few post-war Studes have any real high end dollar value. I might go so far as to say, that no post-war Studebaker is worth the dollar cost, of it's restoration. So to me, the quantitative argument against a particular cars collect ability, goes away fast. To me, the story of a particular car's survival is much more important, then most Studebaker's iconic, or monetary value.

It's easy to tell by your nice collection of cars, what you believe to be "collectible." If, however, everyone turned away from collecting Larks, sedans and trucks the Studebaker world would be pretty boring place. I have collected cars for over half a century. I included cars for a lot of different reasons like style, originality, sentimental value or history. The vary last reasons that I would include a car, are value, and because someone else says that it is "collectable."

I'm doing something that I never do, by including a list of my cars:

1931 Studebaker Four Seasons-Pebble Beach 1991
    1933 Pierce Arrow 836 sedan
    1937 President State sedan
    1937 President coupe
    1939 Commander coupe
    1941 President Skyway Landcruiser
    1941 President cruising sedan
    1950 Champion Starlight coupe-Mary's car
    1951 Champion four door
    1955 President Speedster
    1955 Commander htp
    1955 Commander Conestoga
    1960 V8 four door wagon
    1962 Daytona convertibles (2)
    1963 Daytona htp
    1963 Ford truck
    1963 Buick Riviera
    1964 Avanti
    1965 Buick Riviera
    1967 Chev Camaro RS
    1976 Jaguar XJ12C
    1985 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
    1985 Jaguar XJ6
    1988 Jaguar XJSC
    I have some 90's cars that I chose not to include
    I've collected these, because each in their own way, was special to me. The only monetary consideration, that was used, could I afford it.

Comment

That is a nice list of vehicles, and I'm happy that you have them, and hopefully care for them. Beyond being able to drive a classic car, and enjoy that, is to be able out to take it out to a car show, so that the younger generation can walk around, and take a good look at what a Studebaker Hawk looked like in 1960.
      Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

The original post clearly suggests him wanting to know values of certain Studes. Look at the number of Studes at car shows. Does the "rarity" of their numbers suggest increased values ? No. So does the relative values inside our little car world here.

Comment

Just wondering if a survey was taken here at the SDC forum what percentage of the current Studebaker owners are baby boomers ? I guess it boils down to what age group is collecting/buying Studebaker cars and trucks.

Comment

I started a thread on a similar subject back on January 17. You can check it out: the title is
            Asking all new SDC members to respond

I am still getting answers on my PM and I am also calling people that have recently joined from the 4Q report that our Arizona Manager Chris Collins sent me. If any other state managers would like to send the report from California, Utah, and Nevada to me I will also contact recent members. When I have 100 respondents, I will start a new thread to post the results. Hopefully, this information will be useful to help our Studebaker Drivers Club to grow and maintain membership

Bob Miles
            Tucson AZ

Comment

Originally posted by Stuhawk View Post
              Just wondering if a survey was taken here at the SDC forum what percentage of the current Studebaker owners are baby boomers ? I guess it boils down to what age group is collecting/buying Studebaker cars and trucks.
              There has been a least one thread/topic here on the Forum asking about member's ages. This has little to do with market for the cars because most on here either have what they want or they are reducing the number of vehicles that they have, not buying more. Sure there are exceptions. I am a pre-War model, but I believe that the majority here are baby boomers.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Tom, I'll treat your comments as a compliment, but with reservations. To allay your concerns, I do both show and try to maintain. No more full restorations, which I have done in the past. At 74 years of age, I do the best that I can. Over the last twenty five years I have concentrated on decent original cars, and car needing vary little to make them presentable and operable. There is a sprinkle of projects, some of which will not get done within my lifetime, but i am not overwhelmed and I doubt that you would be concerned either. I see that you live in Elko. I ran out of gas ten miles east of there, in 1969. I tried to stretch, less then a half tank of gas, 120 miles, because I was unwilling to pay the forty five cents a gallon, in Wells. Hwy 80 was two lanes, with no gas stations between Wells and Elco. I80 ain't like that today!

Probably said too much but here's more. For me condition is everything, it really make little difference if the car is right, the year and model make no difference.

Comment

Having owned many different makes and models of old cars I can say without a doubt Studebakers are some of the most affordable makes to buy and maintain.
                  I'm including American as well as European cars.
                  I've had Mercedes Benz SL 250,380,450 convertibles, A bunch of Corvette's including a 60 and a 63 Sting Raycoupe, A few Jag's, Xk's XJ, and Sovereign sedans. One Porsche(that was enough), Cadillac Allante's(4). Now that I'm in need of storage space and no affordable places close by I'm down to 2 old cars and by the end of spring it will be just one. That one will likely be a Stude. Why? Finances are a big factor, but also the Studes provide more smiles per mile than most others. Resale value is important to me, but LOW entry cost makes them less worrisome. Besides, my daughter will be happy to drive a Stude!

Comment

"Resale value is important to me, but LOW entry cost makes them less worrisome". 2nd best axiom when buying real estate ...

Comment

Hallabutt, sorry for the reservations you had. I really meant that you have a great bunch of cars, and I think that you have them, because you enjoy them. I'm probably a little crazy, but cars are almost like living beings to me. I hate to see them abandoned, neglected, and abused, and would try to save them all, if time and money were no object. The love affair with automobiles, that people had in the years up to the 70s, seems to be fading, and people, for the most part, just see them as transportation to and from destinations. Many young people now, have no interest in cars, or driving.
                      Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                        "Resale value is important to me, but LOW entry cost makes them less worrisome". 2nd best axiom when buying real estate ...
                        Right below "Location,Location,Location"

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
                          Many young people now, have no interest in cars, or driving.
                          I don't think that's entirely true.
                          Look around (at least in this area) at all the imports known as 'tuners'. Ground scraping, fart pipes, etc. And some will blow the doors off a lot of V8's.
                          Jerry Forrester
                          Forrester's Chrome
                          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

don't know how this reply will go over but here goes. when my wife saw the 63 hawk's picture in the advertisement she responded with "FANCY"

Comment

[QUOTE=Jerry Forrester;1096224] I don't think that's entirely true.

Jerry is absolutely right. This card gets played far too often here. Many young people do love cars, but they love what they can afford and what their peers like. Just like us. We all here love Studebakes, but some have pristine Golden Hawks, Speedsters or rare pre-war cars. For others we like things that are a bit more affordable, four door sedans etc. I hate it when we fall into the dangerous habit of painting folks with a broad brush.
                              Joe Roberts
                              '61 R1 Champ
                              '65 Cruiser
                              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Has anyone checked "Cars Online" lately?
                                I scanned 1950 thru 1981 and out of 100 Studebakers(Avanti's too) there were sales posted for 61%!! This is certainly impressive for a product brand once previously ignored by the masses.
                                Slightly off topic, I have a pal here in Arizona who is interested in purchasing a 62-64 GT Hawk. Shipping won't be an impediment. Any suggestions?
                                Cheers, Bill

Comment

Working...
                                X