Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any info on a 472 Cadillac engine swap into a Hawk??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any info on a 472 Cadillac engine swap into a Hawk??

looking for pix/info/ideas/advice on installing a 71 472 caddy motor w/turbo 400 into my 56 Flight Hawk. Any shared info would be appreciated. I do already have the eldorado pan for it & am going to get going on it in April. I can be emailed @: bapajimbo@yahoo.com

Welcome to the Forum Jim
    Your project sounds great! I am sure you will get some feedback from other Forum members, as we all like to see the progress of others.
    And we really love pictures. So check out how to post pictures at the top of this Forum page and start sharing.
    Good Roads
    BrianClick image for larger version

Name:	HemiStude004-1[1].jpg
Views:	2
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	1667538
    Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca
    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

1. Flanged axles, 11" Avanti rear brakes, a TwinTraction and 2.88 or 3.07 rear axle. Disc front brakes, V8 front springs.
      2. The 472" Cad is externally the same size as the Packard V8, so it will fit snugly.
      3. The challenge is getting the steering center pivot and the engine crank pulleys to co-exist. If you keep the AC and PS pulleys on there, clearance is in fractions of an inch. This one of the very, very few times a rack and pinion steering could be rationally recommended. With the center pivot gone, the engine can sit low enough to get everything under the hood. The good news is the Cad came in low-hoodline cars, so the intake, air cleaner and front mounted distributor are squashed down already. Some of the aftermarket aluminum intakes are too tall.
      4. I have always wanted to get one of the later model EFI engines and use an Electromotive or MegaSquirt controller for both fuel and spark. Getting rid of the distributor really cleans up the front of the engine.
      5. I saw a '53-54 with the 500" Cad at GoodGuys here in Spokane a few years back. IIRC, it was out of Seattle or Portland.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

"Dastardly Dick's" Total Performance book has good info on the swap, and states that the Cad engine weighs 45# less than the Stude V8, improving handling. You will need to use a remote oil filter on this project. Some of you may remember the stunning candy apple red custom built by Bill Eckenrode here in Houston which was featured in may rod magazines, & had a 500 cu in engine, using an Eldo pan, air bags, and rack & pinion working with factory suspension.

Comment

32 more pictures here................
          Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

there are some excellent photo's on Old Car Fart's adventures with the Caddy & Stude. IIRC, Mr Rice put them up on webshots years ago. btw, anyone know the whereabouts and health of OCF? I miss him.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post

32 more pictures here................
              http://rides.webshots.com/slideshow/575614086oFkgkX
              Dang nab it Jerry, some day I'm gonna hack your photobucket account to look at all the Stude things you've done over the years. Nice work.

Bob

Comment

Ol' Calvin is around and doing OK...Still in Clinton, SC.
                Saw him a few weeks ago...
                Jeff

Originally posted by 8E12T6 View Post
                there are some excellent photo's on Old Car Fart's adventures with the Caddy & Stude. IIRC, Mr Rice put them up on webshots years ago. btw, anyone know the whereabouts and health of OCF? I miss him.
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Check this out.

Comment

Hi jimmyg,
                    Call Scott Benson at 602.568.7999--Gilbert,Arizona---He installed a built up 502 Caddy engine in his 56 Golden Hawk 30 years ago-over 500 hp still runs great--he builds Studes for customers.He is a perfectionist & great person. Gary Olson

Comment

I don't understand why you want to use a 40 year old engine. I have seen big block Cadillacs and other engines in various rods, but these were all built years ago. If you are going to all of the work, why not use a more modern engine, like from the past decade? I am sure that you can find a much newer engine that has as much, or more, horsepower, is smaller, weighs less and gets better fuel mileage.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

why not use a more modern engine, like from the past decade? I am sure that you can find a much newer engine that has as much, or more, horsepower, is smaller, weighs less and gets better fuel mileage.
                        Yes, a GM LS engine is all of the above. It is also the most common V8 of the past decade, rapidly becoming as belly-button as the first SBC. What else built in the past decade fits your criteria at the same or lower price point than the Cadillac?

No, nothing built in the last decade will top the Cadillac in all around street performance per dollar. Huge torque, relatively light weight, bolts up to all GM automatics, relatively affordable. It was GM's last big block V8 design and still holds up well today.

Maybe, an engine selection is a matter of personal preference, just as is make and model of the body. "Yep, it's a 500" Cadillac." will always have some value in the equation. The Cad has many, many good points and very few negatives.

jack vines
                        PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by paxton bloR View Post
                          Hi jimmyg,
                          Call Scott Benson at 602.568.7999--Gilbert,Arizona---He installed a built up 502 Caddy engine in his 56 Golden Hawk 30 years ago-over 500 hp still runs great--he builds Studes for customers.He is a perfectionist & great person. Gary Olson
                          Do you have an e-mail address for Scott?
                          Brian
                          Brian Woods
                          woodysrods@shaw.ca
                          1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                            Yes, a GM LS engine is all of the above. It is also the most common V8 of the past decade, rapidly becoming as belly-button as the first SBC. What else built in the past decade fits your criteria at the same or lower price point than the Cadillac?

No, nothing built in the last decade will top the Cadillac in all around street performance per dollar. Huge torque, relatively light weight, bolts up to all GM automatics, relatively affordable. It was GM's last big block V8 design and still holds up well today.

Maybe, an engine selection is a matter of personal preference, just as is make and model of the body. "Yep, it's a 500" Cadillac." will always have some value in the equation. The Cad has many, many good points and very few negatives.

jack vines
                            Yup, there is just something about a Studillac, has been for nearly 60 years!
                            Pat Dilling
                            Olivehurst, CA
                            Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
                              Yup, there is just something about a Studillac, has been for nearly 60 years!
                              I agree. My uncle's '53 Starliner with the '53 vintage 331 Caddie is one of the coolest Studes around.

I remember at age 9, being at a Swap Meet with my granddad and falling in love with a '54 Conestoga with a Caddie 472. Wanted a wagon ever since.

Comment

Working...
                              X