My First Studebaker - Circa 1967

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Studebaker - Circa 1967

Gone but not forgotten. This was my first Studebaker and it was a real screamer for its day. This was taken from the March 3, 1967 edition of our school newspaper "Le Sabre". It was the Cavalier Coach that month.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1955 Commander.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	1757298
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Hey Ed -- that is a really nice car!

Do you know what became of it? Is it still out there somewhere?
    Bill Jackameit
    1964 Challenger Wagonaire
    1964 Daytona Sedan
    Total of 10 Studebakers owned since 1961
    Bill Jackameit's Studebaker Page online since October 1995
    https://billstudepage.homestead.com/files/studpg.htm

sigpic

Comment

Tell us about street driving a 12 to 1 engine and what you did when you could not get pump gas.

Comment

Originally posted by 70Avanti2 View Post
        Tell us about street driving a 12 to 1 engine and what you did when you could not get pump gas.
        Good premium fuel should have been available for several more years. I could get it here until somewhere around 1981.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Sadly the car is no longer around. It was struck on Van Nuys Blvd. in the rear at a stop light by a Ford Falcon full of girl watchers travelling at 40 MPH in 1968. Ouch!
          My dad did most of the engine work. He was employed at Valley Ring and Rebore in Van Nuys. They did engine rebuilding there. I believe the engine was bored, balanced and blue printed. Dad got an R1 cam from the Granatellis and a 289 crank was installed. It was also fitted with Jahns flat top racing pistons. The transmission was a DG 250M that was beefed up. The rear end was a 331. I used premium fuel. There was no unleaded until a few years later. She ran like a cat with it's tail on fire. It was loads of fun.
          The paint was about 9 coats of hand rubbed gold lacquer metal flake. As you can see from the photo it was a real looker.
          Ed Sallia
          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Cool beans, Eddie!

Comment

My First Studebaker -- Maybe we can keep this thread going for a while --

This picture was taken in Clifton, New Jersey in 1962. Yes, that is me standing by my first 1957 Silver Hawk. This Hawk was equipped with the 289 V8 and manual transmission but did not have overdrive. The only options of note were a factory AM radio and clock. Steering and brakes were both of the manual variety. The wire wheel covers came from a 1956 Golden Hawk. The owner needed some cash, so I purchased his wheel covers. Unfortunately, I only had this car for about a year before it was wrecked. There were no injuries, but the car was declared a total loss by the insurance company.
              Attached Files
              Bill Jackameit
              1964 Challenger Wagonaire
              1964 Daytona Sedan
              Total of 10 Studebakers owned since 1961
              Bill Jackameit's Studebaker Page online since October 1995
              https://billstudepage.homestead.com/files/studpg.htm

sigpic

Comment

Very nice "Cavalier Coach". Too bad that it was totaled, it would be great for you to have it back today. Did you get the console back to the original owner?
                Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Nice car, Eddie. ('Love those '55s!). BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
                    Very nice "Cavalier Coach". Too bad that it was totaled, it would be great for you to have it back today. Did you get the console back to the original owner?
                    Yes, I did. I got the impression, however, that he was not really expecting to get it back. Dad salvaged all of the good stuff off the car and I later learned that my brothers grabbed it all up. Dan got the engine, I think.
                    Ed Sallia
                    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Very nice car. I had to laugh about the "borrowed" console!

Comment

Working...
                      X