'60 Lark VI clutch questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: '60 Lark VI clutch questions

I have a '60 Lark VI wagon, 3pd/od. We're going to change the clutch and I don't have the manual with me at work and I don't have the clutch in hand. I understand that the 8 1/2" clutch is stock for that car, is the later 9+" clutch and plate able to be used, and if not why not? Is it because the flywheel surface only fits the 8 1/2"? We're trying to line up parts and if an 8 1/2" isn't available easily, would the larger package fit?

Not being inside the car, I'm wondering. TIA

Just went through that with a friend, the issue is the holes for the pressure plate to attach to the flywheel The 9 1/8 plate has a larger diameter bolt pattern then does the 8 1/2.
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Thanks. That makes sense, but if you're not looking at the back of the flywheel and such....
      We'll likely have to order what we need after we get the clutch in hand. To be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by LeoH View Post
        /Cut/but if you're not looking at the back of the flywheel and such....
        Originally posted by LeoH View Post
        We'll likely have to order what we need after we get the clutch in hand. To be safe.
        ?????

So you are saying Leo, that you will search for a 9 1/2 Inch bolt pattern Flywheel then when your 9 1/2 Inch Clutch Disc and Pressure Plate arrives?
        Last edited by StudeRich; 06-11-2018, 07:41 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

No. I'm saying I'll wait until I see what the clutch disc is that I have in the car before ordering. Thank you for explaining to me why the 9 " clutch doesn't fit or won't work on my car when I'm doing my first clutch replacement. Very helpful.

Comment

Could be 8 inch. Eight or 8-1/2 inch are hard to find and usually require your core before shipment.

Comment

Working...
            X