1939 Commander coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HemiCoupe View Post
    I have two 341 Desoto Hemi engines. One disassembled but rebuild-able core for mock up and another completely built and ready to go in.
    Hothead's trans adapter and flywheel in the box ready to put the 700R4 behind it.
    I think all I need is a seat and that is the end of my parts search on this one. Im going to be running 38 tail lights and it took about a year but I finally have all the 1939 headlight parts. Those are pretty hard to come up with.
    I have 39 headlight assemblies available and 40 headlight assembly. The 39s I have multiple lenses in very good to excellent condition. The 40 trim is pretty pitted.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Its been kinda slow going lately, I had welder issues but Im back at it again.
      I have the exhaust done and the 38 tail lights have been updated to dual filament bulbs.
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]61030[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]61031[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]61032[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]61033[/ATTACH]
      I see you have domed tail light lenses. Mine are flat....they're glass though. They look great with halogen bulbs installed.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
        I see you have domed tail light lenses. Mine are flat....they're glass though. They look great with halogen bulbs installed.
        You'll want to move that pipe so its not touching the frame though.

Comment

I have not even looked at the top of the door. I was so busy thinking about bottom of the window area where it comes up and what needs to be done there.
          Guess I better check into that area up at the top!!!
          Thanks for the tip

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
          I thought about removing the wings too, but note that the wing and side glass do not line up. It looked to me like the top of the door would have to be reshaped to accommodate the angle.

Comment

Thanks! this one hits the 2 year mark next month but I have done a few other smaller projects in between.. Time and money are the big issues on a complete ground up project. And these 39 Stude parts are not just lying around everywhere. It took a year and a half to come up with a pair of reasonably priced 38 tail lights. and Im still missing a few things that I have no idea what I will end up doing. I want an original trunk latch but I don't think its gonna happen. And I plan on removing the wing windows and having a full length door glass. I think the wing window really detracts from the flow of of the cars look.
            I know exactly what you mean. Some people I know have echoed the same sentiment, tracking down the parts takes up a good amount of time. But I guess once you find them and they work out well its worth it in the end, and also theres no rush, as long as you get it started. Looking forward to seeing the full length door glass if you go that route. Best of luck!

Comment

I have not even looked at the top of the door. I was so busy thinking about bottom of the window area where it comes up and what needs to be done there.
              Guess I better check into that area up at the top!!!
              Thanks for the tip
              Sorry I was unclear. The top and bottom of the window area appear to me to work against the idea of one piece of glass doing the job. The whole door, though it looks straight actually bows out.

Comment

I have decided to ditch the front air ride. going with springs in the front for that classic taildragger speedboat stance. I can always go back to the bags later, all that work has been done. But for the look I want I think springs are the way to go.
                Also been digging out the Hemi goodies.. Its about to start getting fun again.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	S189.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1713049

Name:	S190.jpg
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1713050

Name:	S186.jpg
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	1713051

Name:	S188.jpg
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	1713052

Comment

I finally got the 1937 Studebaker wheel mounted on a shaft. And the new Firestones with flipper caps are giving it the look I hoped for.

Name:	S193 .jpg
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	1713319

Name:	S200.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1713320

Name:	S194.jpg
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1713321Click image for larger version

Name:	S198.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1713322Click image for larger version

Name:	S196.jpg
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1713323

Comment

Real Nice!

Comment

wow, love the theme. you're making good progress! cheers, junior
                      sigpic
                      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

You're getting the look just right!!!! Bob

Comment

I am usually not a big fan of customs, but that car is looking great.
                          "In the heart of Arkansas."
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Been busy working on steering stuff. I finally found the horn button for the 1937 Banjo wheel. Im thrilled with the way it looks. These wheels are super cool and not nearly as expensive as the ford ones as they are much harder to use.
                            They need a 7/8 tapered and keyed steering shaft. Most everything else is 5/8 or 3/4 shafts.
                            For this I used a 1 inch steel rod as the bearings were so much cheaper for 1 inch ID.
                            Grand total for the steering column here is 75 bucks.
                            It was 45 for the 1 inch shaft stock. 20 bucks for the 2 inch OD muffler pipe and 5 bucks each for bearings.

The Dash is off to paint this week. I was originally going to go with grey but with all the stainless and chrome on it I have decided to paint the glove box door and gauge panel black and the rest grey. The ashtray door will also be black.
                            I have no idea what or where I will come up with a glove box lock but I will figure something out!

Name:	S203.jpg
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	1713458Click image for larger version

Name:	S203.jpg
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	1713458Click image for larger version

Name:	S204.jpg
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	1713459Click image for larger version

Name:	18301649_1678621758814965_792136433605928271_n.jpg
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1713460Click image for larger version

Name:	18222541_1678621732148301_3775780256349136270_n.jpg
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	1713461Click image for larger version

Name:	18268323_1678857018791439_715557649021969643_n.jpg
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	1713462

Comment

its not been boring since the Dash and steering column are at paint. I have been dreading this part of the rebuild process since the day I got this car.
                              The missing trunk lip and its compound radius channel bends. It took a lot of head scratching and a few pcs of scrap to get it all moving the right way but I finally got it make and tacked in. I need a shrinker disc for my hand grinder to shrink a few spots on the tail pan before I can finish weld it in place. But I'm super happy with the way it turned out.
                              This is what I started with, or didn't start with depending on how you look at it.

Name:	S213.jpg
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	1713662

Name:	S212.jpg
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	1713661

Comment

and then a few hours on the shrinker / stretcher and this is what I have now.

Name:	S214.jpg
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	1713663

Name:	S215.jpg
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	1713664

Name:	S216.jpg