New Dog Hauler - '55 Commander Conestoga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by clonelark View Post
    Looking great Matt, glad someone put this car in the shape it deserves. Good Conestoga's are so rare.
    Thanks for selling it to me Bob.. It's a neat car that's just begging to be brought back.

I've got plenty of more new parts to throw at it as soon as I get some more free time. My goal is to have everything "done" and the car on the road by April for our Southeast Zone Meet.

Last edited by mbstude; 12-21-2017, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Three different colors, body styles, wheel covers/hub caps, etc - love the variety...

Comment

Oh, that dark red one... What color is it from, original Studebaker?
        & please more pictuers of it! Please...?

Comment

Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
          Oh, that dark red one... What color is it from, original Studebaker?
          & please more pictuers of it! Please...?
          It's a Commander 2 door sedan. It's been a part of this collection since the 1970's and it was last restored in 1989. I don't think it's an original color. I don't have any pictures on hand but I'll get some soon.

Comment

I'm with Noxnabaker, that maroon is gorgeous ! The fender and hood "spears" on the Speedster are great, and the front bumper on Matt's car (without the shin-killers) is perfect ! I know Ford had a great maroon until around 50 or 51, then the Vintage Burgundy in the 60's. This is what my 55 will be painted if I ever get (or have) to paint it ! Great shot of these 3 Matt !

Comment

Okidoki, I'm quite a fan of 53-55 sedans & my -55 4door is gonna be dark red to match the red interior.

Comment

I was informed a while back that '55's were meant to be gaudy.. And the Conestoga was looking pretty bare when sitting next to the Speedster. So..

Today I installed an NOS fog light setup and front fender spears. While I was at it, I put in a set of halogen H4 6 volt headlight bulbs, wired through NOS Delco (1950's) relays. Works great, and much brighter than the old sealed beams.

I know that not everyone likes fog lights or fender spears... But the guy that owns the car does.

Last edited by mbstude; 12-26-2017, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Nox, here's a few more pictures of the '55 Commander two door.

Comment

Matt, that is sweet and just the way I like to see 55s. all dressed up for the public to enjoy, just a thought wire caps might look good as well

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                    I was informed a while back that '55's were meant to be gaudy.. And the Conestoga was looking pretty bare when sitting next to the Speedster. So..

Today I installed an NOS fog light setup and front fender spears. While I was at it, I put in a set of halogen H4 6 volt headlight bulbs, wired through NOS Delco (1950's) relays. Works great, and much brighter than the old sealed beams.

I know that not everyone likes fog lights or fender spears... But the guy that owns the car does.

Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Great addition Matt. Thanks for keeping us updated!
                      Nick

Comment

Big thanx for the pictures!
                        & I also think the foglights & spears are cool there!

Comment

Matt,

I have a ’55 President State Sedan and would be very interested in converting to the 6-volt H4 lights. I did some research on line. There is a 7” H4 sealed beam for VWs. What lamp did you use to put the H4 bulb in? Will an H4 fit in the original sealed beams that came in the ’55 Studebakers? I will also have to research how to put the relays in the electrical system.

Thank you,
                          Charlie D.

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
                            Matt, that is sweet and just the way I like to see 55s. all dressed up for the public to enjoy, just a thought wire caps might look good as well
                            That might be a little too much bling. The car had new wheelcovers installed about 15 years ago and they're still pretty nice.. Otherwise I might be tempted.

Originally posted by ndynis View Post
                            Great addition Matt. Thanks for keeping us updated!
                            Nick
                            This is a way for me to keep track of what I've done to the car, and I know some forum members enjoy seeing Studebakers being worked on instead of 5 monthly threads about who hasn't gotten their Turning Wheels yet.

High up on the to-do list is installing a rebuilt Delco distributor, new shocks, new muffler, and all new carpeting from front to back. None of that sounded appealing today, so I decided to tackle the rattling tailgates. Lots of rubber and nylon bumpers all over that were all very well worn. Luckily.. NOS station wagon parts are still plentiful.

I replaced all of the bumpers around the tailgates and the rubber pieces that keep the latches and tailgate supports from rattling. I installed new rubber around the opening, as well as the seal between the upper and lower tailgates. That one is a special moulded piece and isn't in reproduction, though we had an NOS one that was still pliable enough to use. With all of that, the back end of the car is as sealed up and rattle free as it can be after 62 years. I went ahead and installed an NOS tailgate handle assembly, latch, and striker. I need to replace the rear window gasket, but otherwise there isn't much left to do on the back end of the car.

Other than some rust in the lower front fenders, this car is remarkably solid all over. It's really nice to work on such a nice, original, untouched car, and not have to fight any corroded bolts or nuts, or deal with any shoddy repairs.

Last edited by mbstude; 12-27-2017, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie D View Post
                              Matt,

I have a ’55 President State Sedan and would be very interested in converting to the 6-volt H4 lights. I did some research on line. There is a 7” H4 sealed beam for VWs. What lamp did you use to put the H4 bulb in? Will an H4 fit in the original sealed beams that came in the ’55 Studebakers? I will also have to research how to put the relays in the electrical system.

Thank you,
                              Charlie D.
                              Charlie, these are the headlights I used, they came with the bulbs included. Currently unavailable on Amazon, but I'm sure a little searching around would bring up some alternatives.

As for the relays, I used two NOS Delcos, part number 1116789. Period correct and readily available. One for low beams, and one for high. There was a little instruction sheet that had a diagram on how to wire them up. I followed the directions and everything works great.

There are plenty of them on ebay at the moment, but here's one that shows the instruction sheet.

Comment

Matt, when You say new do You mean n.o.s. dare any one to find these n.o.s. now a Days.

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                                That might be a little too much bling. The car had new wheelcovers installed about 15 years ago and they're still pretty nice.. Otherwise I might be tempted.

This is a way for me to keep track of what I've done to the car, and I know some forum members enjoy seeing Studebakers being worked on instead of 5 monthly threads about who hasn't gotten their Turning Wheels yet.

High up on the to-do list is installing a rebuilt Delco distributor, new shocks, new muffler, and all new carpeting from front to back. None of that sounded appealing today, so I decided to tackle the rattling tailgates. Lots of rubber and nylon bumpers all over that were all very well worn. Luckily.. NOS station wagon parts are still plentiful.

I replaced all of the bumpers around the tailgates and the rubber pieces that keep the latches and tailgate supports from rattling. I installed new rubber around the opening, as well as the seal between the upper and lower tailgates. That one is a special moulded piece and isn't in reproduction, though we had an NOS one that was still pliable enough to use. With all of that, the back end of the car is as sealed up and rattle free as it can be after 62 years. I went ahead and installed an NOS tailgate handle assembly, latch, and striker. I need to replace the rear window gasket, but otherwise there isn't much left to do on the back end of the car.

Other than some rust in the lower front fenders, this car is remarkably solid all over. It's really nice to work on such a nice, original, untouched car, and not have to fight any corroded bolts or nuts, or deal with any shoddy repairs.

Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Working...
                                X