Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You know the floor boards are bad when...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back in High School had a 76 Buick Skylark( about 10 yrs old ), window open, driving 60 or so, bee came in, stung my face. I slapped bee to floor, still moving, stomped it hard... foot went through carpet, pad floor etc. Stopped couple miles later and managed to get foot free from shoe, which was still under the car. Lucky i did not have my foot go all the way to pavement and break the ankle or shred foot raw. Needless to say i have never challenged the floor of a moving car since.
    Buddy had an older import early 90's. Asked for my help one weekend reinforcing his floor. Found the only thing really supporting the drivers seat was shifter housing bracket at one corner and seatbelt mount plate by door. one good bump and seat and all could have droped out on the road.
    Last edited by FleetMaster68; 03-17-2017, 07:15 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Back in the mid 60's, a friend had a rusty '58 Ford 4dr. It was great fun to run down a side street near the coal yard and fly over the railroad tracks that were about 4ft. above the road. He did this and when he landed, the car was about 1ft. shorter than when he started. The two in the car were knocked out when the body hit the street and the roof hit them on the head. That's rusty!- Jim

Comment

Jim you made me think of something I had forgotten. About 1964 or so when I was attending college we decided to drive to Ocean City NJ.
        Friend had a 1957 Ford Fairlane Tudor sedan. We all pitched in for a full tank of gasoline. Now the owner of this car never ever had enough money to fill the tank.
        And as we left town there was a set of railroad tracks to be crossed. We hit the crossing and heard a terrible sound from under the rear of the car. I turned around and looked out the rear window to see the gas tank spinning around in the road spewing gasoline all over! Tank straps had rusted to the thickness of a sheet of paper. We stopped and picked up the tank and jury rigged the fuel line and continued on our way.
        sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
        Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
        "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

When I was maybe 5 we loaded up to go to an Aunt's home for the Eberly family christmas in Dad's 53 starliner hardtop.

Mom, Dad, my three older sisters, and myself sitting on the armrest in the back....buzzing along when suddenly there was a not too loud "thunk, scrape........". Dad eased off the gas and gently brought the 53 to a stop. The gas tank had come loose and had slid along under the car held on by the fuel line.

Dad had a little tube jack which he had picked up off the road as a child after the thrashing machine had passed by their farm and using that plus the crank he had fabricated for it, he jacked the tank back up in place and secured it with tire chains and we proceeded to Aunt Nila's home north on Ironwood drive. She lived just off Ironwood in a subdivision which bordered the golf course.

Dad fixed it better with new straps later.
          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

When I was building my house in the late 80's I bought a rusty 74 Ford F-350 3 yard dump truck. It ran and worked great but was really rusty. A year later I bought a clean F150 with a bad engine. I used the F150 cab for my dump truck. I was able to remove the 74 cab without unbolting it. Lucky I never hit anything with it. The cab would have come off.
            james r pepper

Comment

In the early 70s my '54 was my daily driver. I worked 2nd shift, getting out at midnight. I stopped and filled up with gas on the way home one night.
              After pulling out I heard a scraping sound, and the driver of another car was blowing his horn and flashing his lights at me. I thought a tail pipe that had been hanging had finally dropped down to the road.
              I didn't feel like stopping on the side of the road on a cold night to wire it up, so drove the couple of miles to my home. When I got there I looked, and the right side gas tank mount had pulled through the rusty trunk floor. The noise was the tank dragging on the road!
              It was paper thin where it was rubbing. If I lived a little further away it would have been worn right through, and with the sparks who knows what could have happened.
              Needless to say from that night on I stop and check when I think someone's trying to tell me something.
              Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by 1954khardtop View Post
                In the early 70s my '54 was my daily driver. I worked 2nd shift, getting out at midnight. I stopped and filled up with gas on the way home one night.
                After pulling out I heard a scraping sound, and the driver of another car was blowing his horn and flashing his lights at me. I thought a tail pipe that had been hanging had finally dropped down to the road.
                I didn't feel like stopping on the side of the road on a cold night to wire it up, so drove the couple of miles to my home. When I got there I looked, and the right side gas tank mount had pulled through the rusty trunk floor. The noise was the tank dragging on the road!
                It was paper thin where it was rubbing. If I lived a little further away it would have been worn right through, and with the sparks who knows what could have happened.
                Needless to say from that night on I stop and check when I think someone's trying to tell me something.
                Good idea!
                Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                X