No announcement yet.

Studes in Roadside Americana photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just loving this, and I'm only in about 50 pages or so!
    sigpicAl Reed
    North Bay Area, CA
    1961 Lark Regal Skytop
    1953 Commander Starlight

Comment

Wow, never ending Stude. Pics, it makes it a bit hard to comment on individual ones and get them near the Pic with soooo many here.

I like #12 the best, I love those "loads of Studes." pics!
      I noticed right away that although Bolins is a very common hauler of Studes. judged by many of my West Coast Production Orders, the Tractor is not familar to me at all, can't even be sure which brand it is, International? I have never seen one with a dippty-do windshield like that, very unusual.

Also the load looks to be mixed with '59 and '60 Larks, like the last of the left over '59's.

Check out the Black Hardtop near the front, doesn't that body side moulding look pointy like a '59?

But even though the details are hard to make out on many, there is no doubt that there are '60's on board, because of the (2) '60 4 Door Wagons being there.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 10-14-2011, 12:55 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Wonder what the wagon half was made out of?
        Jeff

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
              Wow, Bob! You've really been adding to your stash in the back yard since we last saw it!

Where's Black Bart? <GGG> BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Comment

Comment

I must speak up here. I have read some post that say they are only 50 pages in on this thread but I am only getting 3 pages showing up. Am I missing something?

Second, I have a teenage daughter who is very much into vintage styles. She is so in love with this Americana thread for both the cool cars, the great clothing styles and just the vintage flare to all of the pics.

So to the OP and the other contributers of pics, thanks for yet another thing I can share with my Kiddo.

Comment

• OP - - - > > >

Comment

• Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
                        I must speak up here. I have read some post that say they are only 50 pages in on this thread but I am only getting 3 pages showing up. Am I missing something?
                        They're referring to the original thread where I'm finding these. 486 pages over there so far! Link in the first post.

This appears to be a video capture:

Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

• #97 shows A Douglas F4D Skyray, (the pilots called it the "Ford") the world's first carrier based aircraft to hold the absolute world's speed record when it got to 752 mph in Oct 1953.
                          Based on the paint scheme and the fact civilians are working on it, I believe that's the second prototype. And judging by the background possibly photographed at Edwards AFB or NAS El Centro.
                          Last edited by JBOYLE; 11-08-2011, 07:42 PM.
                          63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

• "#97 shows A Douglas F4D Skyray"

Any idea whats being done in that pic?

Comment

• Originally posted by aarrggh View Post
                              OP - - - > > >
                              LOL, OP= original poster.

Comment

• Post 97 looks like they are using ice, possibly dry ice for something. Maybe freezing a large press fit part so it installs easier, turbine bearing? Maybe just chilling the beers that just got flown in from the states...

Post 102 looks to be taken at Griffith park in the hills of LA. up near the observatory. For anyone not familiar with Griffith park observatory, it was built close to 100 years ago and was the second large telescope observatory of its type in the US.

Many movies have been filmed there including Rebel without a cause, Charlies Angels 2- the scene where the angels are fighting Demi Moore near the end of the movie, Yes Man-where Jim Carey confronts Zoey DesChannel about his reasons for doing what he did and the photo tour hikers are taking pictures of them kissing.

Personal trivia, it happens to be the place where my now wife told me she loved me for the very first time in October 1986, we were engaged a month later and married 9 months later. happily for 24 yrs now.
                                Also I did the remodel on it from 2003-2006. I was the very first subcontractor on site and the last guy to leave the site. I built the protective barricade around and over the Telescope and the Celostat.

Alot of history at Griffith park, especially for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X