electronic ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: electronic ignition

what is the best way to convert my point style ignition to an electronic ignition. I have seen pick ups conversions that fit into the distributor or entire replacements. It is running ok now but I think this will be a good investment in long term improvement. Thanking you in advance K-hawk

I'm sure there is a Petronix module that should fit your Dissy. Maybe talk to Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker.
    pb

Comment

Pertronix does not at this time make a conversion unit for the single point Prestolite V8 distributors. They are available for the dual point Prestolite's and the Delco distributors. You can check the Pertronix website for their catalogue. Bud

Comment

Originally posted by K-Hawk View Post
        what is the best way to convert my point style ignition to an electronic ignition. I have seen pick ups conversions that fit into the distributor or entire replacements. It is running ok now but I think this will be a good investment in long term improvement. Thanking you in advance K-hawk
        The BEST way, but also the most expensive, is to buy Dave T-Bow's Mallory distributor. The cheapest way, if you have a Delco "window" distributor, is to buy a Pertronix or one of the other Chevrolet after-market systems. At one time Dave sold Studebaker distributors modified with a Chrysler top electronic unit. It required an external module (box) which can be concealed if an authentic look if desired. I have that system on my '64 Wagonaire and have been well satisfied- strong spark, easier starting. I also had a Pertronix on a '64 Avanti I had. It worked well too, but I have heard some stories of problems with Pertronix installations.
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Pertronix makes some good stuff, but like many aftermarket suppliers, it often doesn't match the original equipment in terms of reliability and longevity. I know of many who have installed the Pertronix modules in their Corvettes...most have had no problem. Some have and have been left stranded. Many who have not had problems will keep a set of points and condensers in their car "just in case". If that's the thought, then why do it to begin with?

My own experience with Pertronix didn't leave me stranded, but it did with the person who bought the car from me. I owned a '78 Corvette with factory HEI. For some reason I decided to replace the original Delco distributor module with a Pertronix...there was nothing wrong with the Delco. The Pertronix ran fine...a couple of years later I sold the car. About a year later the Pertronix went bad and the new owner had to replace it. The Delco lasted nearly thirty years with no problems...the Pertronix lasted maybe two.

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't replace your points with an aftermarket system, but think through what you're trying to accomplish. If your distributor is worn, that's one thing. If you only want to keep from replacing points that's fine...but a points elimination kit doesn't work wonders...it does maintain tune and timing with no rubbing block to wear like points, and may make starting a bit easier, but really won't work wonders as far as performance.

As Paul said, the best way would be to get a T-Bow distributor and do it right. Otherwise, stick with points...very simple and historically proven reliable.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Has anyone ever come up with an adequate explanation for why the Pertronix for the dual-point Prestolite won't fit the single-point Prestolite? Could you make it fit by drilling one or two holes?

John Lassiter in the Portland (OR) area sells Prestolites modified to use a Mopar pickup and reluctor, with a GM HEI module attached to a small aluminum heat sink on the underside of the distributor case. He does nice work. The one I bought was a little north of $100, if I remember right. He sometimes runs ads under the handle "Studebaker John."
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Pertronix makes some good stuff, but like many aftermarket suppliers, it often doesn't match the original equipment in terms of reliability and longevity. I know of many who have installed the Pertronix modules in their Corvettes...most have had no problem. Some have and have been left stranded. Many who have not had problems will keep a set of points and condensers in their car "just in case". If that's the thought, then why do it to begin with?
              Both points AND condensors can and do fail...!

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
                Has anyone ever come up with an adequate explanation for why the Pertronix for the dual-point Prestolite won't fit the single-point Prestolite? Could you make it fit by drilling one or two holes?

John Lassiter in the Portland (OR) area sells Prestolites modified to use a Mopar pickup and reluctor, with a GM HEI module attached to a small aluminum heat sink on the underside of the distributor case. He does nice work. The one I bought was a little north of $100, if I remember right. He sometimes runs ads under the handle "Studebaker John."
                Good to know Gord. John has been very helpful hooking me up with parts, and he's local. I'll have to talk to him about this setup for my car. John's a great guy.
                Dave Nevin
                Corvallis, OR
                1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
                Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post

Mike
                  I don't doubt that at all. All I'm saying is that aftermarket ignitions don't necessarily have long-term reliability going for them. It all depends on what someone wants out of the car...daily driving, racing, etc?

While it's been many years, when I was in auto repair, we rarely saw mechanical points and condensers fail...wear out, but out and out fail was a rare thing. If they were defective, it usually showed immediately.
                  Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post

Mike
                    That they do, but the usual failure mode is performance degrading over a substantial period of time. Rarely do points or condensors fail abruptly, like a light bulb may do.

The reason for going electronic is lower maintenance, number one, and hotter spark, number two. If an electronic ignition system goes bad, you have a "black box" problem. If points ignition goes bad, you can examine and test each individual component, or shotgun-replace them, cheaply.

Comment

The reason the dual point conversion kit from Pertronix is the OD of the distributor cam. the diameter of the single point cam is smaller than the dual point cam so the reluctor for the Pertronix unit fits loosely on the cam making the reluctor unuseable. Please don't ask how I know this. Bud

Comment

Pertronix

My unit failed after four days. The tech service offered to help, after getting two sets (the last set very extensive) measurements. Many of th easked for measurements are not posible if the ignition is set back to a points system. No resolution as yet.
                        Paul TK, 1963 Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
                          The reason the dual point conversion kit from Pertronix is the OD of the distributor cam. the diameter of the single point cam is smaller than the dual point cam so the reluctor for the Pertronix unit fits loosely on the cam making the reluctor unuseable. Please don't ask how I know this. Bud
                          I can guess how you found out. If that is the only issue, I wonder if it would be possible to shim the distributor cam to accept the Pertronix reluctor and hold it tightly.

Comment

If the distributor cam from an R1 distributor which has a P stamped into it is installed in a Prestolite single point distributor, I would suspect the the dual point Pertronix unit could be made to work. The R2 cam doesn't have enough centrifugal advance to work properly in a non R engine. As an added note, if the R1 cam is used, the spark should be advanced another 4 deg. Bud

Comment

I've got several Pertronix systems in my V-8 Studes and one Buick. They all work fine, and with unleaded gas, the spark plugs last a lot longer.

You do not have to have a Delco "window -type" distributor. Pertronix makes a kit for the old style Delco distributor. It fits and works fine. If you read the Studebaker shop manuals, all of the Studebaker V-8 distributors (with the exception of super-engined cars) have the same advance curves. Also, the distributors all interchange mechanically. There are thousands of older Delco Studebaker V-8 distributors out there. So, take out the Autolite/prestolite distributor, refurbish and install a Pertronix in an old Delco, and enjoy.
                              Last edited by RadioRoy; 11-18-2011, 07:03 PM.
                              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                              X