No announcement yet.

Fair Market Value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On top of this Nick and I have never personally met, hopefully this year if he gets to go to Indiana to the Studebaker Museum as well as the Swap Meet. Studebaker people are special people. Their willingness to lend a hand in anyway they can, well, it speaks volumes about their character, honesty, and brotherhood. I for one am proud to be a part of this group. Thank You All and especially to you Nick.[/QUOTE]

Ahhh, shucks! You make me blush.
    Glad to see you on the Forum! And as of right now I do plan to make the Swap Meet and my first trip to the Museum. I was planning to make the trip so I came through your country and maybe stop for a visit. Better yet if you are going to the meet as well. How about some pictures of that good looking Hawk you are putting back together? Everyone on the Forum loves pictures.
    Great to hear from you.
    Nick

Comment

[QUOTE=JRoberts;1096230]
      Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
      I don't think that's entirely true.

Jerry is absolutely right. This card gets played far too often here. Many young people do love cars, but they love what they can afford and what their peers like. Just like us. We all here love Studebakes, but some have pristine Golden Hawks, Speedsters or rare pre-war cars. For others we like things that are a bit more affordable, four door sedans etc. I hate it when we fall into the dangerous habit of painting folks with a broad brush.
      Point taken. I always have to shake my head when, particularly in the muscle car arena, greybeards gripe about how a kid into cars wants a Honda Civic instead of his '67 Camaro for $50K, forgetting that when he was a 17 year old in the late 70's, driver '67 Camaros could be had for $2500. But when you think that housing expenses have shot through the roof, and a lot more kids are going to college which often means student loan debt, plus a lot of them are under employed and scrambling to put a 40 hour work week together. There isn't the disposable income for a lot of young people, even if they are interested in old cars as a hobby, to pursue car ownership. It's hard enough to afford a single new car and the associated expenses, let alone an extra toy car and the extra space needed to store it and work on it.

But there is merit to the statement that young people overall are less interested in cars. If you Google it, you can see a lot of studies that bear out that at least in more urban areas, a lot of younger people aren't interested in driving. I have a 20 year old son who grew up in a gearhead house and even raced karts as a kid, and he doesn't have his license and doesn't care. None of his friends have licenses either, and many of the parents I work with have kids who don't have licenses or are interested in driving. They either bike, or take uber or lyft to places they don't want to bike to.

Here's a bit from a 2014 University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute study, and I'm sure 4 years on, the numbers have changed, and not increased:

"The open road and a set of wheels once symbolized freedom, but in today's era of convenient, smartphone-based ride-sharing services such as Uber and Lyft that romantic notion seems increasingly quaint. Generally speaking, the younger you are (down to the legal driving age, of course), the less likely you are to have a driver's license compared with the same age group three decades ago.

The study, conducted by institute researchers Michael Sivak and Brandon Schoettle using Federal Highway Administration data, shows that 16-year-olds' eagerness to drive plummeted in the period examined, from 1983 to 2014. About 46 percent of American teens in 1983 became licensed drivers sometime in the year after their 16th birthday compared with about a quarter in 2014, a drop of nearly half. The latest study found that the decline in the percentage of licensed 16-year-olds observed in earlier studies — to about 31 percent in 2008 and about 28 percent in 2011 — has continued.

In fact, all the age groups up to age 44 showed continuous declines over the 31-year period, with the exception of a slight uptick in licensed 25- to 29-year-olds from 2008 to 2011. Since 1983, the share of 17-year-olds with licenses has dipped by nearly 35 percent, 18-year-olds by more than a quarter, 19-year-olds by 21 percent and 20- to 24-year-olds by more than 16 percent. Despite that one-time blip for 25- to 29-year-olds, the age group's percentage with licenses still dipped by 11 percent for the entire period, followed by 30- to 34-year-olds by 10.3 percent, 35- to 39-year-olds by more than 7 percent and 40- to 44-year-olds by more than 3 percent."
      Dean Seavers
      Sacramento, CA

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
        Has anyone checked "Cars Online" lately?
        I scanned 1950 thru 1981 and out of 100 Studebakers(Avanti's too) there were sales posted for 61%!! This is certainly impressive for a product brand once previously ignored by the masses.
        Slightly off topic, I have a pal here in Arizona who is interested in purchasing a 62-64 GT Hawk. Shipping won't be an impediment. Any suggestions?
        Cheers, Bill
        Buzzard,
        I noticed the exact same thing on "Cars Online". There are certain years and models of Studebaker that appears to sell as soon as their posted for sale like the Supercharged Avanti's. It also seems to apply to the 53-55 coupes and certain Turismo GTs . It sure appears to me that someone is planning on these models appreciating in the future and lets grab the good ones at a fair price while you can. In most makes it seems that holds true also like Oldsmobile and Buick. What once was cheap to collect has gone way up in price especially the Hardtops and Convertibles. Look at how the 40 Ford coupes have risen the 55-57 T Birds and dont even think about finding a bargain in the Mopar Hotrods or 54-63 Vettes, Ouch! I think that some of the Studebakers will become hard to get in the future especially at a reasonable price. Time will tell.

Stuhawk

Comment

Originally posted by ndynis View Post
          On top of this Nick and I have never personally met, hopefully this year if he gets to go to Indiana to the Studebaker Museum as well as the Swap Meet. Studebaker people are special people. Their willingness to lend a hand in anyway they can, well, it speaks volumes about their character, honesty, and brotherhood. I for one am proud to be a part of this group. Thank You All and especially to you Nick.
          Ahhh, shucks! You make me blush.
          Glad to see you on the Forum! And as of right now I do plan to make the Swap Meet and my first trip to the Museum. I was planning to make the trip so I came through your country and maybe stop for a visit. Better yet if you are going to the meet as well. How about some pictures of that good looking Hawk you are putting back together? Everyone on the Forum loves pictures.
          Great to hear from you.
          Nick[/QUOTE]

Nick,

Its good to hear from you and hope you and your family are well. I surely hope that we can visit this summer when you go east to Indiana. I haven't done much to the 61 since i got it home and am trying to gather the parts to fix the window run channels and some other much needed repairs. Like most retired people it seems there is way more time than money and you have to prioritize projects. Look forward to hearing from you. As of right now I wouldn't know how to get a pic from my camera to this forum, electronically challenged.......

Tom

Comment

Working...
          X