56J Packard spring replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Axle / Front Suspension: 56J Packard spring replacement

I have to replace parts of the front axle. Any idea for replacement the springs? I think stronger ones would be better?
    Walter

80 Fiat Spider
    63 Lark Regal 4 Dr. sold 2015
    60 Hawk sold 2017 in England
    56 Golden Hawk
    56 Corvette (John Cougar Mellencamp's C1)
    68 Volvo P1800S
    56 Jaguar XK 140 DHC

http://www.speak-to-doc.de/oldi/

Have a pair of front coil springs for 56J. You can have them for shipping. Where are you?? 20 years ago built 66 Mustang for daughter's graduation car. Purchased brand new repro coils for it. When insalled the front end was several inches too high and had to remove them and cut one coplete coil out of each one and re-installed. Perfect. Had 56J years ago and never liked the way it handled: like a heavily loaded forklift. But it would sure go! I' pretty sure these are good standard rate springs. Might have a set of Olds Vista Cruiser rear coils but don't know the rate on these. I'm sure you could find out Googlr or ask Jim Pepper

Comment

Call Coil Spring Specialties (CSS), and have them make you a pair of Stude part #526125. They are the factory HD springs for 56J. Most 56Js came with 526124, which is way too wimpy for 56J. CSS will make them identical to the originals.

Comment

Thanks for your response, CSS offers to make springs more stiffer, I think 10 percent, thats what my 56J will need.
        Walter

80 Fiat Spider
        63 Lark Regal 4 Dr. sold 2015
        60 Hawk sold 2017 in England
        56 Golden Hawk
        56 Corvette (John Cougar Mellencamp's C1)
        68 Volvo P1800S
        56 Jaguar XK 140 DHC

http://www.speak-to-doc.de/oldi/

Comment

Originally posted by Santosh View Post
          Thanks for your response, CSS offers to make springs more stiffer, I think 10 percent, thats what my 56J will need.
          I would go with 526125, and not any stiffer. The factory got it right with the 125s, but failed miserably with the 124s. I believe every 56J shoulda came with the 125s, and cannot fathom why most 56Js came with the 124s. For the 56J, you will not find a better riding and performing spring than the 125s. If you make the springs too stiff, it will put more stress on the front section of the frame, which is already marginal on the 56J.

While you are at it, a good upgrade for your 56J is to install a 1963 and later Stude V8 anti-sway bar & support stanchions. That will make it handle a lot better in sweepers and sharp turns. You can add to that, and make it even better with a Dave T rear anti-sway bar. But the front bar will make the most difference.
          Last edited by JoeHall; 06-14-2018, 05:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
            it will put more stress on the front section of the frame, which is already marginal on the 56J.
            I thought the gauge steel used on the 56J's was heavier than the others
            64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
              I thought the gauge steel used on the 56J's was heavier than the others
              Too lazy to look it up, but pretty sure all V8, 1956 frames were same thickness. The GTs, and later all V8 frames were thicker. Trust me, the 56Js frame is a weak point in the car. Cracks, and ripped out upper, inner 'A' arm pivot mount bolts are far more common in 56J than all other V8 Hawks combined. Further, they need more frequent care and attention than the other V8 Hawks or cars, i.e. 'A' arm bushings, king pin wear, loosened bolts, etc..

Comment

Working...
              X