General Motors may sell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Motors may sell

It is being reported that GM is in talks with Peugeot SA to sell Opal.

John S.

I hope the deal repays us what we still are owed in the bailout ... (stock equivalent)

Comment

That is OPEL

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
        The deal will also include Vauxhall in Luton, England. http://news.sky.com/story/fears-over...owner-10768029

Craig

Comment

Opel was a great little car imported to the US until the 1973 models came out and they flopped out of the US market. Vauxhall was imported in the 50's but never caught on. The idea of a French Company buying a German Company I guess it shows that WW2 if finally over.

Bob Miles
          Tucson AZ back on March 5

Comment

Peugeot bought Chrysler's European Assets in the late seventies- Chrysler UK and Chrysler France.

Comment

I owned an Opel when I was stationed in Panama. It was a bit tinny and under powered. Not very comfortable, and it had a problem with failing condensers. Other than that, it was a decent little car that got us around the Isthmus just fine. I wonder what will become of them if Peugeot gets them?
              Ed Sallia
              Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
                Opel was a great little car imported to the US until the 1973 models came out and they flopped out of the US market. Vauxhall was imported in the 50's but never caught on. The idea of a French Company buying a German Company I guess it shows that WW2 if finally over.

Bob Miles
                Tucson AZ back on March 5
                We were at war with Italy during WW2 and they bought our beloved Chrysler!

Comment

I know of the where-abouts of a 1972 Opel Manta. Desert car...rust free. Cool looking coupe' with a very GM looking roof line and rear tail light treatment. I like the looks of this car. My dad had a 72 Opel wagon which was based on the Manta chassis I believe. Nice looking as well and it served admirably for more than ten years. These cars were sold through Buick.

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
                    We were at war with Italy during WW2 and they bought our beloved Chrysler!
                    The Germans bought Chrysler first before Italy got involved. After they completely gutted Chrysler they dropped it. It has been my understanding that the relations between France and Germany have been shall we say strained since 1940.

Bob Miles
                    Tucson AZ on March 5

Comment

I had a 73 Opel GT. Bought it off the showroom floor for $3700. No trunk, just storage behind the seats. Slam a lever forward & the headlights flipped around. Fun car!

Comment

Just moved back from Germany, a lot of my friends work for Opel (GM). We had an Opel mini van (Zafira) turbo diesel that could go 120MPH. Did you know the Opel Insignia is a Buck Regal?

Good cars and I miss the Autobahn! Our 3 year tour is over and moved back a year ago. My best was in an Audi A7 turbo diesel around 140MPH and was scared (I don't think the Germans run regulators) . Who needs the salt flats
                        sigpic1957 Goldenhawk

Keeping the passion alive

Comment

Vauxhall, Opel, Peugeot, were a few of the cars that were popular in this area in the '60s-'70s. I became very familiar with them in the import car repair field.
                          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by Big Smooth View Post
                            Did you know the Opel Insignia is a Buck Regal?
                            Yes, they are both based on GM's 'Epsilon' platform.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                              I hope the deal repays us what we still are owed in the bailout ... (stock equivalent)
                              Thank our lucky stars there is still a GM to employ people. The losers in the bailout were the stockholders who could afford it; not the workers who couldn't.
                              Brad Johnson,
                              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                              X