Engine rebuild update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
    Radiator hose, thermostat, and housing are all a mismatch, and are being brought to spec....
    I hope you realize you are talking about a 1/2 day thing here, not a big deal. Assuming the block was tanked during the rebuild, there are not a lot of things left in the cooling system that will cause problems that can't be sorted in an hour or two. If the radiator is blocked, that should have been determined at removal time, not this late in the game, but in any case, a couple days for a rebuild should completely refurbish that. A thermostat and hose is a 5 minute stop at the local flaps. About the only thing that might delay a day or two is if the water pump is shot, and with a complete rebuild, I'd have thought they'd have replaced that as a matter of course! So, for my money, you are just being jacked around by a dishonest shop.

(Back to my nap.)
    Corley

Comment

Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
      After six months, we are apparently down to the proverbial wire, except that it isn't a wire, it's a hose. Radiator hose, thermostat, and housing are all a mismatch, and are being brought to spec. Even the restorer is getting antsy as many other people want to get their cars in the shop. It seems that the cause of all this misery (and expense) was a cooling system failure, as rusty water was found on the head gasket, causing the engine to run hot, thin out the oil, and cause the main bearings to fail. That's actually good news, as I was afraid it was caused by my putting Ripple (or was it Boone's Farm?) in the radiator. It was dark out and I was tired and well, you know...
      Didn't you observe your gauges while driving the car? I think that the car would boil over before the oil got thin enough to cause severe problems.
      To me, it seems more like you had a head gasket failure and kept driving the car until you had other failures.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
        Didn't you observe your gauges while driving the car? I think that the car would boil over before the oil got thin enough to cause severe problems.
        To me, it seems more like you had a head gasket failure and kept driving the car until you had other failures.
        Part of the problem is that the gauge wasn't working properly, so I had no way of knowing it was running too hot.
        peter lee

Comment

Originally posted by Corley View Post
          I hope you realize you are talking about a 1/2 day thing here, not a big deal. Assuming the block was tanked during the rebuild, there are not a lot of things left in the cooling system that will cause problems that can't be sorted in an hour or two. If the radiator is blocked, that should have been determined at removal time, not this late in the game, but in any case, a couple days for a rebuild should completely refurbish that. A thermostat and hose is a 5 minute stop at the local flaps. About the only thing that might delay a day or two is if the water pump is shot, and with a complete rebuild, I'd have thought they'd have replaced that as a matter of course! So, for my money, you are just being jacked around by a dishonest shop.

(Back to my nap.)
          I disagree about being "Jacked around" as he showed me a list of customers waiting to have their engines worked on. Also, because the parts were mismatched, and then wrong parts were sent as well, delays resulted, so it's not just a matter of the time it takes to install them.
          peter lee

Comment

Looks like he doesn't need to make any excuses, as he has you to do it for him. When he runs over you, don't neglect to call out to him to back over you also, 'cause he missed a spot. :-p

Comment

Assuming I ever get my car back, I want to put a high-quality and correct gas in it. What does everyone else use
              peter lee

Comment

I try to only use gas without the 10% corn crap in it, and I add 4 ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil to each 10 gallons.

Comment

Alcohol free regular...

Comment

I suspect that on Long Island you will not be able to find any ethanol-free gasoline. If that is true, any name-brand regular gas will do fine. Would suggest that you add Sta-bil for winter storage, and some brand of anti-alcohol additive all year round. There are many different brands, and I'll allow others to suggest their favorites. Fuel blends sold during winter tend to evaporate and deteriorate more quickly than those sold during the warmer months.
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                      I suspect that on Long Island you will not be able to find any ethanol-free gasoline. If that is true, any name-brand regular gas will do fine. Would suggest that you add Sta-bil for winter storage, and some brand of anti-alcohol additive all year round. There are many different brands, and I'll allow others to suggest their favorites. Fuel blends sold during winter tend to evaporate and deteriorate more quickly than those sold during the warmer months.
                      I agree with Skip but I'll add one caveat - Marina's around here pump ETOH free gasoline. It requires 5 gal cans but you might find it available there in your area. We have a couple of station that handle 89 octane ETOH free gas so I don't need the marina trick.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                        Pure-gas.org wiill help you find non ethanol gas
                        Ron Dame
                        '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
                          Pure-gas.org wiill help you find non ethanol gas
                          Probably not on Long Island, where plee lives. All counties are non-compliant areas, and the only non-ethanol gas will be racing fuel or untaxed for off-road equipment.
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Jessie J. View Post
                            Looks like he doesn't need to make any excuses, as he has you to do it for him. When he runs over you, don't neglect to call out to him to back over you also, 'cause he missed a spot. :-p
                            Thanks for your support.
                            peter lee

Comment

Commack and Babylon have ethanol free gas stations...

Comment

Working...
                              X