Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another great barn find-- Rare! Opinions please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another great barn find-- Rare! Opinions please?

Giddy and excited-- this has been quite a year for great barn finds for us! A few months ago we scored a '63 Daytona Convertible, a '52 Champion 2-door sedan, and a '57 Transtar 1/2 ton. All had very low mileage and had been stored 35 and 40 years. All three have now been returned to running condition, and we regularly drive the Truck and the Champion. Lots of fun! Well, now we've really scored a good one, I think! I have big plans for it.
    Great enough to find a solid complete unmolested '56 Golden Hawk, but how about one with manual trans and O.D. as well as Power Steering? And how about with Dual Quads? By all indications this car has been outfitted like this since the beginning. The birth certificate shows the trans and P.S. to be original, and the 2 4's have all original and correct carburetors, linkage, filters, etc. as compared to the factory pictures from 1956.
    The pictures show the as-found condition, and the car as it appears now, cleaned up. Still has not been run, so engine condition is unknown. Doesn't appear to ever have been wrecked, and has no rust except in front fenders. I have perfect replacements.
    We're now trying to decide whether to go all the way with a frame-off restoration, or leave the body on and do as first-class of a job as we can like that. Since it's so rust-free, that's tempting, but a car of this caliber... opinions? We want to make the best of our investment. What do y'all think the value of this car might be going either way?
    It was originally green/white-- we'll probably go green/black as a matter of preference. Might also upgrade to a 374-- I mean, why not? Also intend to install new Chrysler wire wheels and wide whites. No other changes are planned, other than making it like new. (or better than...)Click image for larger version

Name:	56 G Hawk 003.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	1753802Click image for larger version

Name:	56 G Hawk 004.jpg
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	1753803Click image for larger version

Name:	56 G Hawk 002.jpg
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	1753804Click image for larger version

Name:	56 G Hawk 005.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	1753805Click image for larger version

Name:	56 G Hawk 001.jpg
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1753806Click image for larger version

Name:	New Ariel 28 May 2007 007.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	1753807Click image for larger version

Name:	56J Engine pics. 001.jpg
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	1753808Click image for larger version

Name:	New Ariel 28 May 2007 006.jpg
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	1753809This Studebakering stuff can be pretty cool!
    1950 Commander Land Cruiser
    1951 Champion Business Coupe
    1951 Commander Starlight
    1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
    1953 Champion Starlight
    1953 Commander Starliner
    1953 2R5
    1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
    1957 Silver Hawk
    1957 3E5 Pick-Up
    1959 Silver Hawk
    1961 Hawk
    1962 Cruiser 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Convertible
    1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
    1965 Cruiser
    1970 Avanti

Kenny, I don't know where to start, this is remarkable!

I certainly would hold myself back a bit were the car mine. Yes, by all means, make every system in the car function correctly but by all means use it and get it out there in the world, for the world to see. That way, if you fall in love as is, you aren't in any kind of corner. Personally, I'd give it a year.

After that, if you're not satisfied with the car (green isn't my fave but I do like it on her) or it looks like you may be doing more harm than good by putting off a restoration, rip into her. Is the current colour the original? It almost looks like the inner fenders have white paint. Is that even the original paint to begin with?

BTW, I am sure there is a twelve step program out there for you but it looks as if you've gone for a 13 step program at this point.

Seriously though, congratulations!

Ken Buchanan

Comment

I love the looks of that car, I want one too!! That color is begging to be two-toned with white, in my opinion every 1956 Golden Hawk should be two-toned.
      1956 Golden Hawks and 1963 Daytona convertibles are two of my most favorite automobiles.
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Definitely too nice to restore IMHO.

Nice car!
        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Ken
          If the engine is good I see no reason to go to a 374. Neither engine is a hot dog but they are respectable in performanceI really like the solid green of the two pics you show in your library. I think it is very elegant. I have had the finned hawks in two tone and single colors as well as GT hawks.in usually single colors. This is a matter of personal preferencem. The tranny combo makes for a great cruiser I think your wheel idea is good.I like keeping the bodies of my cars pretty much stock. With the engine of two four barrel carbs you hsve a very rare car. Good luck.

Bill Jones Jr.
          D & B Restoration

Comment

Looks like it was an LA plant car. Absolutely beautiful too!

Comment

Originally posted by spokejr View Post
              Kenny, I don't know where to start, this is remarkable!

I certainly would hold myself back a bit were the car mine. Yes, by all means, make every system in the car function correctly but by all means use it and get it out there in the world, for the world to see. That way, if you fall in love as is, you aren't in any kind of corner. Personally, I'd give it a year.

After that, if you're not satisfied with the car (green isn't my fave but I do like it on her) or it looks like you may be doing more harm than good by putting off a restoration, rip into her. Is the current colour the original? It almost looks like the inner fenders have white paint. Is that even the original paint to begin with?

BTW, I am sure there is a twelve step program out there for you but it looks as if you've gone for a 13 step program at this point.

Seriously though, congratulations!

Ken Buchanan
              I think Ken's got it dead on. Ditto for me on this count.
              Drive it as is for a while... then decide.
              Unbelievably gorgeous. A breathtaking car, fer sher.
              sals54

Comment

At the 2002 SB meet this 56 J had this quad setup installed, with the owner claiming these were an original air cleaner setup.
                Maybe on a Packard Caribbean, but I think your setup is more plausible, they seem to be the same air cleaners as used on 56-57 Corvettes.
                Beautiful car and looks great in that colour, I don't think it needs two-toning in white. Great find!
                Brian Greenall
                Melbourne, OZ
                sigpic

Comment

I think I'd redo the mechanicals and the interior, and leave the rest alone. I would have a very hard time changing anything from stock on that one. I've never seen a 56J that color, and as few of these that were built with OD and PS, I'd bet it's the only one in this combination. I like it!

Be sure to contact Frank Ambrogio so he can add it to his registry.

Congrats on such a cool find.

Comment

Cool beans, Kenny; what a find!

I'd agree with Ken and Sal; good recommendations on how to proceed.

Research the original color; with the under hood being white, it was probably two-toned and you might want to consider that if you ever repaint it...but don't rush into anything, as nice as it cleaned up.

That looked like quite a nest around the distributor "as found." What did you find underneath there?

Best wishes on a wonderful car. Overdrive and Power Steering is indeed a rare combination. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I think i'd start looking for history on this one....

Ditto on the other's comments leave the body alone for at least a year, with the possible exception of hunting down the tin worms and killing them.
                      Pull the carpet and check under there too.

Comment

I see by your list by your signature you own way to many Studebakers.
                        Please ship your Golden to me asap!
                        All kidding aside, what a great find! Just fix what needs to fixed and Drive her!
                        Amazing, seems to be more Goldens coming to light. Not a bad thing.
                        sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                        Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                        "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

The only thing I would change, if you're going to drive it, it the carb linkage. Go to progressive linkage, it's much easier to tune! Very nice catch!- Jim

Comment

Frame off restoration ??? Find from the registry what's out there. Then, extrapolating "some" from the 64' ragtop thread.... you might get close as to a number. A frame off , with full interior correct for best bucks and of course a complete engine rebuild correct carbing........ well, you know where you stand (on one leg)..... My guess is there are several pockets here who would love that car, pay good money AND complete the restoration to original.....

Comment

Same 'look' as Joe Bacon's '56 Golden less the 'Glenbrook Green' !!...Your Hawk is the most interesting Stude I've seen on this forum in MONTHS!...Best of luck with it!

Comment

Working...
                              X