X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: A fasteners pictorial register

Hi all-
    I have under various undertakings/restoration of three cars, viz;
    1. A 1961 Hawk RHD Australian delivery (complete disassembly restoration and rebuild ad nauseam)
    2. A 1962 GT Hawk RHD Australian delivery (bought last year and to be refurbished to keep it as a 'Driver')
    3. A 1981 Avanti II RGB 3269 Imported by me in 2015 and largely untouched (single family ownership but in good condition bar the Chassis and Hogtroughs- currently away getting the body lifted)

My question to the group comes after an awful lot of personal effort in trying to utilize and identify truly original fasteners used throughout the rebuilds of nos. 1 and 2 above.
    The chassis manuals have been most useful up to now but the descriptions don't always give a total description of the bolt/nut/washer etc. Now in the case of something like the four 7/16" UNF x 3" bolts that hold the front bumper irons (the ones with the conical tips), we almost always know about those, but what of the associated washers? My 62 GT has been seriously messed about with over the decades and I really want to fix it right. Call me OCD, anal retentive, eccentric, undiagnosed Aspbergers- whatever you like but I'd really like to put the fasteners in place by the book- I just don't always know exactly what they look like.

So the question...
    I am prepared to compile a visual compendium of fasteners used in our cars and make it available online somehow. In the case that I unfortunately do not have access to unmolested vehicles to refer to, I would invite interested group members to send me a clear jpg image of the fastener (on or off the car) including its physical dimensions and possibly bolthead images as well. If the exact part number and group number is available then also include it or give me clear instruction so I can look it up.
    This includes all nuts, bolts, screws, washers (plain, spring, star) speed nuts, spring clips, hose clips, etc etc. Have I forgotten anything?....
    Perhaps I'd like to try keeping this within the '58 to '64 years but hey, send me a description and year and I will crossreference it anyway.

I know what I am taking on, but am willing to give it a shot. Those of you with totally original cars might not need this list but I can see a use for it and I appeal particularly for your feedback on the subject. I daresay the best way to do this would be to PM me with info. Any expressions interest via the forum are welcome.
    Regards, Steve

This would be great: Id like to suggest that you provide a shot guide: such as
    1) a minimum K file size for the JPG
    2) take the photo with a ruler next to the fastener to help approximate the size
    3) Always use a white background
    4) The fastener must be a close-up, and take up at least half the width of the image (no photos pulled back very far away)
    5) All photos in landscape mode!!!

Comment

Originally posted by creegster View Post
      This would be great: Id like to suggest that you provide a shot guide: such as
      1) a minimum K file size for the JPG
      2) take the photo with a ruler next to the fastener to help approximate the size
      3) Always use a white background
      4) The fastener must be a close-up, and take up at least half the width of the image (no photos pulled back very far away)
      5) All photos in landscape mode!!!
      Hi creegster-
      Thanks for the advice. I will gladly take what I can get though, just to encourage members to participate !
      At the time of your reply, 90 members had viewed my post but I've received nothing else, so not everybody appears enthusiastic.
      Steve

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Studebaker bumper to bracket bolt stack 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	1717805Click image for larger version

Name:	Studebaker bumper to bracket bolt stack 002.jpg
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	1717806

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]69547[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69548[/ATTACH]

Where's the ruler (measuring tape)!!

Treblig

Comment

I have found the Standard Parts List that was included in the back of the 1951 - 1954 Chassis Parts Catalog to be a useful starting point in identifying some of the screws and speednuts. Unfortunately, it is dated 05-01-1954 and I have not found an updated version. Anyone know of any lists like this that are newer?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Standard-Parts-List-1954-001.jpg
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	1717808Click image for larger version

Name:	Standard-Parts-List-1954-002.jpg
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	1717809Click image for larger version

Name:	Standard-Parts-List-1954-003.jpg
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	1717810Click image for larger version

Name:	Standard-Parts-List-1954-004.jpg
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	1717811Click image for larger version

Name:	Standard-Parts-List-1954-005.jpg
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	1717812Click image for larger version

Name:	Standard-Parts-List-1954-006.jpg
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1717813

Cliff
            54 Commander Coupe driver
            53 Commander Hardtop project
            SE Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]69547[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69548[/ATTACH]
              Well done (S), congratulations on being first with a photo
              The rubber is in the book as 'Shim' 311446X2 1/8"x 1 1/2" x 2" for C body bumpers. The Nut G272599 is actually a 7/16" locknut but it doesn't get called one, the bumperbolt 1541696 is 7/16-14 x 1 /12" is common on all models (at least up to 1961), I believe the big washer is a thick 'Spacer washer' 518494 and I shall closely estimate/find its dimensions later.
              Steve
              Steve
              Last edited by Steve Winzar; 01-05-2018, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cliffh View Post
                I have found the Standard Parts List that was included in the back of the 1951 - 1954 Chassis Parts Catalog to be a useful starting point in identifying some of the screws and speednuts. Unfortunately, it is dated 05-01-1954 and I have not found an updated version. Anyone know of any lists like this that are newer?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69551[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69552[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69553[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69554[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69555[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69556[/ATTACH]

Cliff

Thanks Cliff, this is useful because it shows the outline and correct titles.
                Steve

Comment

The rubber is in the book as 'Shim' 311446X2 1/8"x 1 1/2" x 2" for C body bumpers. The Nut G272599 is actually a 7/16" locknut but it doesn't get called one, the bumperbolt 1541696 is 7/16-14 x 1 /12" is common on all models (at least up to 1961), I believe the big washer is a thick 'Spacer washer' 518494 and I shall closely estimate/find its dimensions later, although I believe it is a USS rather than SAE size ('cos they are bigger dias and thicker).
                  Steve
                  Last edited by Steve Winzar; 01-05-2018, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cliffh View Post

Cliff
                    I believe that that's the last one. I have searched in vain for an updated version of that listing for about 40 years. The 1954 merger with/purchase by Packard caused the company to revise the hardware part number system (again) in 1955, and the company apparently never published a comparable listing with the later part numbers. The part numbers with X in them remained the same, but were expanded greatly. The X part numbers tend to be for items that are unique to the auto industry, or at least to industrial applications. For example, the 41X series included dozens of flat washers with unusual dimensions. They were not common hardware store fasteners.

The part numbers with just digits were converted to a new system that began with G, presumably for General Hardware. They tend to be normal USS and SAE grade 5 or grade 8 nuts, bolts, and washers -- the kind of stuff that used to be carried in a good hardware store or Dorman cabinet. For example, G180078 is a standard grade 5, 5/16-18 x 7/8" bolt. G180079 is the same bolt with 1" length. Some of these are hard to find these days, as many fasteners are only sold in 1/4" increments.

It's worth noting that the SI catalog lists hundreds of hardware items. These include quite a few with the old part numbers, as well as a lot with the new. Sometimes packages have both the old and new numbers on them.
                    Last edited by Skip Lackie; 01-13-2018, 06:04 AM. Reason: typo
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

Stelfords has quite a few Studebaker hardware and other items with photos on their website: http://www.studebakerclubs.com/stelf...bakerIndex.htm
                      Dan Peterson
                      Montpelier, VT
                      1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                      1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                        I believe that that's the last one. I have searched in vain for an updated version of that listing for about 40 years. The 1954 merger with/purchase by Packard caused the company to revise the hardware part number system (again) in 1955, and he company apparently never published a comparable listing with the later part numbers. The part numbers with X in them remained the same, but were expanded greatly. The X part numbers tend to be for items that are unique to the auto industry, or at least to industrial applications. For example, the 41X series included dozens of flat washers with unusual dimensions. They were not common hardware store fasteners.

The part numbers with just digits were converted to a new system that began with G, presumably for General Hardware. They tend to be normal USS and SAE grade 5 or grade 8 nuts, bolts, and washers -- the kind of stuff that used to be carried in a good hardware store or Dorman cabinet. For example, G180078 is a standard grade 5, 5/16-18 x 7/8" bolt. G180079 is the same bolt with 1" length. Some of these are hard to find these days, as many fasteners are only sold in 1/4" increments.

It's worth noting that the SI catalog lists hundreds of hardware items. These include quite a few with the old part numbers, as well as a lot with the new. Sometimes packages have both the old and new numbers on them.
                        Hi Skip-
                        What you have explained is very enlightening, for me at least anyway. This is partly why I am attempting to identify these parts pictorially. I would much rather see the correct washer/bolt in the right place.
                        Thanks, Steve

Comment

Originally posted by dpson View Post
                          Stelfords has quite a few Studebaker hardware and other items with photos on their website:
                          Thanks for that Dpson- this is a good example of the sort of thing I would like to do, but keeping it reserved for fasteners. I may well 'pirate' some of these images if the owners don't mind .
                          Steve

Comment

Steve,
                            no information to add, but for my '57 Golden Hawk, I'm in the same position as you (was "restored"??? , molested? and repainted by I HOPE "some kid" who didn't know any better). I have MANY parts where the hardware is obviously not matching, (where I am fortunate enough to see the remaining originals) but question many other locations, as well as obviously missing parts I've obtained but "don't know what the hardware looks like". The bumper bolt-set photo posted is exactly one I'll be needing; mine had only the steel parts. What a great (and daunting!) project, but would benefit so many! Thanks for WHATEVER progress you are able to make on it! Anything is better than nothing, and like a puzzle, missing pieces may be 'interpolated' from the similar numbers AROUND it/them, and only size or dimensions are different and can be more closely estimated because of what you HAVE found and recorded. GOOD LUCK!

Comment

In most cases, if you have a question, just ask the forum. If anyone wanted to get more pics, I have a huge stash of NOS nuts, bolts, springs, clips, hardware and also know most of the applications. I also have 3 dozen cars from 53-66 and some trucks I can photo.

I often have things on Ebay motors under vintage car/truck/studebaker NOS with pics as do many others. I steal info all the time from there as far as part numbers on Unidentified items and applications.....

The SDC meets are also a good place to cross reference these things. I doubt any vendor would refuse you to take pictures of their stuff.
                              ( Bring your camera to the 2018 International meet)

The old SASCO had the most hardware of all, it is now SI. Some of the stuff has been cataloged and I presume maybe pictures exist?

Comment

Working...
                              X