Packard-Baker on Pawn Stars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
    Yeah - this sorta "reality" show is mushrooming of late. It almost HAS TO BE scripted. Frankly, if one or two guys were trying to make real deals while someone followed them around with cameras, they'd do damned few deals at all. I know I wouldn't even TALK to them until I had the situation explained to me completely. This echos the discussion about Max Corkins on the Pickers show. There's no way Max would've answered a knock on the door and then not slammed it once he spied the cameraman 20 feet away!
    I like to see the cool items that are featured in these shows, but I'd rather see such thru a show like Antiques Roadshow. That's much more "genuine" than any of these antique hunter teams.
    Well said, Bob. (I wasn't holding out much hope for a doughnut anyway.) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I don't believe any of you. This stuff is perfectly real, just like professional wrestling!

'63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Originally posted by Sdude View Post
        That was one tough negotiator....

How much you want for it?

$10,000

I'll give you $1,500

OK...
        THAT was scripted? C'mon, they can't get any better writers than that?
        Jon Stalnaker
        Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

The same production (Back Roads Entertainment) does Pawn Stars, American Restoration, and a few others.....
          Additional programs:
          JUNKies (Science), Door Knockers (DIY), Pawn Stars (History), American Restoration (History), Oddities (Science), Moving In (MTV), Setup Squad (LOGO), What the Sell?! (TLC), The Principal's Office (truTV), Bridal Bootcamp (vh1), Happily Ever Faster (TLC), Hallmark Heroes with Regis Philbin (Hallmark Channel) and InTurn (CBS/CBS.com).

Keeps the video crew working year 'round in Las Vegas...
          Jeff

Originally posted by hausdok View Post
          Well, there was that time, before they came out with that spinoff, American Restoration, where the brother of the guy from American restoration tried to sell them something - I think it was a pinball machine - which his brother and he restore routinely on American Restoration - where they, Rick from Pawn Stars and Ron Dale from American Restoration - acted like they didn't even know each other and Ron Dale acted like he was clueless.

If that episode wasn't scripted I'll eat one of my garage work shoes.

Originally Posted by DEEPNHOCK
          That show is sooooo scripted.
          Everything is said on camera afterwards.
          Betcha a donut that's the parts car left over from the real restoration project.
          Then, miraculously, a few episodes from now, the 'restored' car will roll out of the body shop guys shop...all perfect!
          And then they will talk about coming in under budget and how much profit they will make.
          And they will act as if it was one car all along.
          All of these shows use the word profit more times than a politician says vote...
          Cynical? You betcha...... But I still like to see the things that cross their tables..
          Jeff
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

we started filming at 8am in over 100 degrees heat...and every 15 minutes a jet was flying over and we had
            to start over...this was at mc carren airport...planes are coming in all the time..we got done at 3pm...
            i had enough of it...with no pay...they cut 90% out and i tyred to negotiate..i do have the window...front
            and back for sale...and it is completely done now.

Comment

Originally posted by Studedude View Post
              Good grief, people... It's entertainment!
              I agree with Officer Dave!!

Jim
              "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
              their Memorials!

Comment

Good grief, people... It's entertainment!
                One of the few (maybe the only?) time I've disagreed with Dave. It's NOT entertainment for me. Perhaps the OPPOSITE of entertainment. I've watched one or two episodes of these reality TV shows and found them pretty lame. They all seem to remind me of this scene from Idiocracy...

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

What if I told all of you that it is not scripted? Here's how it works...

You swing in with your item (most people are looky loos)

If one of the regular staff thinks its unique they call a special number that is the producer of the show

That producer schedules a revisit with the person trying to sell the item and Rick but they are not allowed to tell him what it is

Everyone shows up for the filming and Rick knows that stuff off the cuff

They have to do this because of how busy the store is so they clear everyone out except a couple people in order to film. Yes... Rick is that smart! Everyone who works there say he has some kind of degree in history but I've never met him myself.

Reality TV isn't for everyone, especially me but because I visit Vegas all the time I stay informed with that show, Danny at Count Customs and Rick from American Restorations.

Cheers

Comment

I just sold a real nice 58 Packard sedan last week. I have to admit I miss the car and am going through withdrawal. These cars grow on you.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                      One of the few (maybe the only?) time I've disagreed with Dave. It's NOT entertainment for me. Perhaps the OPPOSITE of entertainment. I've watched one or two episodes of these reality TV shows and found them pretty lame.
                      We are not that far apart, Dick. I meant, "Entertainment" in the sense of, "Not to be taken seriously."
                      sigpic
                      Dave Lester

Comment

We are not that far apart, Dick. I meant "Entertainment" in the sense of "Not to be taken seriously."
                        (sigh of relief).

OK, we're back to zero times I've disagreed with you.
                        Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

I really cant stand Pawn Stars and have no idea why the show is even still on the air.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                            (sigh of relief).

OK, we're back to zero times I've disagreed with you.
                            sigpic
                            Dave Lester

Comment

The last restorers show I saw a customer brought in an old pos Coke machine he wanted restored. At the end of the show they brought out a different model machine restored and passed it off as the same machine the customer brought in! I haven't watched it since.

Comment

The packardbaker that was on pawn stars, will be in laughlin nv,museum january///

Comment

Working...
                                X