Engine Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Engine Size

Hello everyone, I have a 1974 Avanti 11. Assuming I have the original engine the Car came with. What did Avanti use for an engine in 1974?
    Thanks in advance
    Charles Larmay

IIRC, it would have been a low compression 400" SBC with 185 SAE net horsepower.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
      IIRC, it would have been a low compression 400" SBC with 185 SAE net horsepower.

jack vines
      Thanks Jack

Comment

IIRC, it would have been a low compression 400" SBC with 185 SAE net horsepower. jack vines
        The good news it can be made fast for cheap; about $3,500, we can build that into a 500 horsepower monster and it will still be streetable.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

The good news it can be made fast for cheap; about $3,500, we can build that into a 500 horsepower monster and it will still be streetable.

jack vines
          If you decide to upgrade, and I think it's a good idea, look into replacing the three speed (if so equipt) automatic with a later GM overdrive automatic tranny. Pretty close to a straight bolt-in.

Bob

Comment

I used to own a '73 Avanti II with the 400" low performance engine. It was a very rare 4 speed version. Even with a 2 barrel carburetor, it had lots of torque. It was fun to drive and it was plenty quick. So, I have to ask...why to we need more and more horsepower as seems to be the fashion? Or am I getting older?

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
              I used to own a '73 Avanti II with the 400" low performance engine. It was a very rare 4 speed version. Even with a 2 barrel carburetor, it had lots of torque. It was fun to drive and it was plenty quick. So, I have to ask...why to we need more and more horsepower as seems to be the fashion? Or am I getting older?
              You're getting older...
              Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Originally posted by Swifster View Post
                You're getting older...
                I'm 71 now and I had that 4 speed Avanti II about 30 years ago, so I guess I was old then....

Comment

I am an old fart. I have alway had a need for speed. I guess I never grew up totally.

Comment

Me too. I've owned a 74 with the 400, 4-barrel, and 4-speed for about 25 years, and it is indeed a torque monster. And am also getting older, as it seems to be fast enough for me.
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                      And am also getting older, as it seems to be fast enough for me.
                      For some, too much is never enough. Fifty years ago, I was a guest at the Petroleum Club in Houston. The group around a table in the bar were all rich Texas oil men and included the CEO of one of the major oil companies. When the drinks came, he raised his glass and said, "Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money." Some years later, Tom T. Hall wrote a hit song using the quote.

We just finished a 496" BBC for a local guy and it should make 700 horsepower. He wanted it strong enough to take another 200 horse shot of nitrous, once he got tired of only 700 horsepower.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

Don't need 500 hp? 400 cubic inches, lightly breathed on ought to net an efficient, smooth, tractable and dependable 300+ hp. and 400+ ft. lbs. of torque.

If one wants no more than 185 hp, any well built 283 will deliver it far more efficiently and at better mileage than a half strangled lummox 400.

Comment

74 Avanti, 383 stroker - T56 tranny- 3:55 D-44 posi and it won't be fast enough upon acceleration. Top speed doesn't matter any more. I hope at 74 YO I'm not that old.

As a data point, The OP of my 74 had Altman replace the 400 "Truck Motor" with a 350 shortly after he purchased it. A rather poor decision I think as there is no replacement for displacement. Well, maybe a blower and EFI but why pick nits.

Avanti, Bob

Comment

I have to concur with swifster. You're getting old if you don't think you need more horsepower. Now, I'm only a young spritely 62 at the moment, so I don't yet know what its like to get as old as you. JK. But all the same, we are in the process of getting all our cars ready for the big Spring push of driving, car shows and burnouts. More power is always an asset. And now days, 400-500 HP is pretty commonplace on the street. If you wanna go toe to toe with some of the faster imports or domestics, you better have more than an R1 289 to push back with.
                            sals54

Comment

I've been involved with local oval track racing for most of my life and I guess I get my horsepower "fix" from that and thus not necessary from a street driven Studebaker.
                              Going "toe to toe with some of the faster imports" .....I'm not picturing such a situation.

Comment

Working...
                              X