Creeper collectors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creeper collectors?

So trips to Goodwill are a common thing for us and I am always keeping my eyes open for anything auto related.

Ran across this thing a short time ago and for $3.99, I could not pass it up. The last thing I need is to start collecting any thing else - I am going to keep it for a conversation piece.

From a little research, the Craftsman emblem seems to be from the mid-60s. Only blemish is a small hole in the headrest...and I love the all metal wheels.

It looks like my creeper, except for the Craftsman name/label. Then again, mine is from the mid-60s.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

ROL-EZ -E Wheels! Because now you don't have to wait for the wife or kids to yank you out from under the car when it's time for lunch!
      '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

You could start a whole new venue of Shows , Imagine Creeper Shows , Want to guess what may show up ?

Comment

Originally posted by jts359 View Post
          You could start a whole new venue of Shows , Imagine Creeper Shows , Want to guess what may show up ?
          Here's your chance to start your own "Non-Proffit"...

Wonder what the IRS would do when you took a deduction for a contribution to the "CREEPY ROLLERS CLUB?"

Look at the possibilities...CREEPY T-SHIRTS, COFFEE CUPS, BALL CAPS, KEY RINGS...
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
            Look at the possibilities...CREEPY T-SHIRTS, COFFEE CUPS, BALL CAPS, KEY RINGS...
            Do you still have your Creepy Crawlers from the 1960's?

Craig

Comment

I have one just like it -- bought it new around 1967. Those all-metal wheels do not roll easy. Did some work last year at a friend's house with a Snap-On creeper. What a difference! My Sears creeper has been unused since then -- have just been crawling in and out on a piece of cardboard.
              Last edited by Skip Lackie; 05-14-2018, 01:21 PM.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                I have one just like it -- bought it new around 1967. Those all-metal wheels do not roll easy. Did some work last year at a friend's house with a Snap-On creeper. What a difference! My Sears creeper has been unused since then -- have just been crawling in an out on a piece of cardboard.
                Sounds like my story. My creeper looked looked just like that, but was a different brand. The laminated wood began to separate and we may have discarded it. The wheels would catch on any piece of grit or trash on the floor. I slide in and out on cardboard now.
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Nice! My Dad's creeper is just like that one. I bought a Harbor Freight one but the old one's still around.
                  Also there's some Creepy Crawler molds and hot plates around here somewhere from my sisters and my childhood days. And a couple of used boxed sets I found at a flea market too.

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                    So trips to Goodwill are a common thing for us and I am always keeping my eyes open for anything auto related.

Ran across this thing a short time ago and for $3.99, I could not pass it up. The last thing I need is to start collecting any thing else - I am going to keep it for a conversation piece.

From a little research, the Craftsman emblem seems to be from the mid-60s. Only blemish is a small hole in the headrest...and I love the all metal wheels.

I have a creeper from the '70s that is much more rare (but no where as nice as your Craftsman). I bought mine labeled as a Dart Drug creeper at a Dart Drug store in Northern Virginia. Dart Drug was a chain of stores in the Washington, DC area. They sold much more than just drugs. In fact, I bought several Studebaker and Avanti models at Dart back in the day.
                    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by jts359 View Post
                      Small block power, big and littles, oil change competitions - Count me in.

Bob

Comment

I have one like that my folks gave me on my 18th birthday in 1972. It was from my favorite FLAPS, Frankel's Auto parts, and had their logo painted on it. The lettering is hard to read now, just about worn off. They gave me a torque wrench, timing light and vacuum gauge the same day. The timing light finally quit working a few years ago, but I still have and use the rest.
                        Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                          I slide in and out on cardboard now.
                          When I worked at the gas station many years ago, we had a Pasquale creeper. Not sure whatever became of it after the station closed as I also use cardboard to lie on when working under a vehicle.

Craig

Comment

Yeah, cardboard for me as well. Just this weekend in fact putting an exhaust pipe back on I had to remove to get a driveshaft out/in. Creeper means I have to jack up the car another 3-4" to have the same working room as cardboard. Another downside for creepers IMO is lack of leverage and applying torque means the creeper starts moving unless I find someplace to brace against.

Jeff in ND

Comment

My neighbor was tossing out multiple 4'X8' sheets of black foam core years ago. They work excellent to slide on, cushion from the cold floor and smooth out surfaces (such as dirt/gravel). Not the cheapest to outright buy, but if you ever have access to foam core for free don't pass it up.
                              '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Working...
                              X