Drag Racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drag Racing

Is anyone planning an informal night at a local drag strip for us speed junkies?

thanks

Pat
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Yeah! Saturday late afternoon by my place.
    Might go run the Yellow POS
    (Now that I know I already devalued it by $15k.....)
    Hammer down!
    Jeff

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
    Is anyone planning an informal night at a local drag strip for us speed junkies?
    thanks
    Pat
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
      Yeah! Saturday late afternoon by my place.
      Might go run the Yellow POS
      (Now that I know I already devalued it by $15k.....)
      Hammer down!
      Jeff
      I guess it's a matter of perspective, I figure running mine down the track increased its value. Goes to show it doesn't just sit there, it actually runs!

PS did not know you had a place in Indiana?
      Pat Dilling
      Olivehurst, CA

Comment

Hey Jeff, if you're trailering the '53, do you need a long haul driver for the Coupe Express...?

Comment

I have not heard any more about drag racing during the International Meet. I tried to find the thread in the Studebaker only forum, but could not find it. Does anybody know any more about this?
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Here the thread Ted Harbit started on the main forum:

Pat Dilling
            Olivehurst, CA

Comment

As with the thread, which I started back in Dec. about all the questions being asked on this same forum, I think the same can be applied to this as well. You probably shouldn't hold your breath too long, to get a response, or you will turn blue! Simple fact, excluding the early responses, by Mike Le Pay, on some of those earlier meet questions, the organizing committee doesn't use the forum to communicate! Best thing is to email one or all on the committee, to get a response. Their email links are found at the SDC Home Page, (right above) under events, then International Events, which will show you the 48th Int Meet, and who to contact, for more information, with links to emails.
              Last edited by glen; 02-14-2012, 05:59 AM.

Comment

I think I read that any racing event would not be part of the official program, likely due to insurance or liability reasons for the event. So, any racing would be set up informally pretty much as an agreement of participants to meet at the track at an agreed time. This of course would also depend on when the local track would be available/open. Hopefully one of the local folks can find that out for us or coordinate with the track. Based on the thread I linked to above that would be Osceola Raceway.
                Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA

Comment

I would be up for making a few runs in the Avanti. I see it is only a few miles East of South Bend.

Joe
                  75 Avanti, 61 Corvette, 73 Corvette, 95 Corvette, 61 Beech Baron, 1944 PBJ

Comment

Informal and not officially part of the meet, perhaps. With the Glendale, AZ meet, in 2010, there was already a plan in place for the drags to be held (though not officially) at a local track and was announced (off the record) at the yearly banquet in Oct of 2008. So I can only guess, in comparing one organizing committee to another is like comparing an apple to an orange?

Comment

Well sounds like i need to go to OC Dragway and see what i can do.
                      What day is best?
                      James Maxey III
                      sigpic

Comment

I might even be convinced to try my hand at it ....
                        sigpic
                        John
                        63R-2386
                        Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Originally posted by okc63avanti View Post
                          I might even be convinced to try my hand at it ....
                          Go for it John, it'll increase the value of your Avanti.

I'm really leaning towards driving my Stude up. I still would like to know if the track has a sundial to time my 289 auto 3.07 station wagon.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                            Go for it John, it'll increase the value of your Avanti. I'm really leaning towards driving my Stude up.
                            I still would like to know if the track has a sundial to time my 289 auto 3.07 station wagon.
                            For those who wanna know- I called 'shotgun' for rides in John's car a long time ago...
                            All I have to do is show up!!!

Don't worry Matt- your car shouldn't be that slow. I raced Sweet Pea at Woodburn, OR back in '93 during the Portland Meet. I was 'manually' shifting her Flightomatic in order to get all three gears, as she's also got a 3.07 TT. She managed something in the low 18s as I recall. Not blazingly fast, but I managed to win my 'class' (bracket) and get a cool sumthin' sumthin' to hang on the wall. One day it'll be right there along with all her other awards like longest distance driven, hard luck, and the like.
                            StudeDave '57
                            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                            SDC Member since 1985

past President
                            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                            San Diego Chapter SDC
                            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Rose and I really enjoyed the drag races at Cedar Rapids. I wonder if I can talk her into taking a shot at it this time, if one gets organized.

Comment

Working...
                              X