Design dna 1947 - 1964

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Design dna 1947 - 1964

For some reason, Jerry Forrester's current signature pic of his Buttercup project inspired me to think about the longevity of the basic lines of their post-war cars. More than any other view, this photo reveals lines that served the design aspect of Studebaker production for years! In this photo, I see the gun barrel straight line from the cowl to the headlights, fresh air vents, and slope of the windshield. Although, the lower portion of the front was tweaked year to year, the manner in which the valance tied it all together remained.

Often, it is mentioned that the C & K cars as a design group all their own...but in my mind, there is a relationship that connects all post-war design which incorporates the coupes and sedans.

And for you, Jerry, thanks for your excellent craftsmanship in building customs that keep the design DNA of the original artists. They put pen to paper, worked in modeling clay and battled with bean counters to get these automobiles to market. I am enjoying watching/reading your posts regarding the project. As long as you keep that pic, every time you post... that picture is a great reminder to us all of the classic lines we Studebaker fans so readily recognize.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

As I recall, Art Unger did an article in TW about ten years ago about that crease in the upper part of the front door, and how as it remained as a design element, almost unaltered from 1953, right through to the last of them in 1966.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
      As I recall, Art Unger did an article in TW about ten years ago about that crease in the upper part of the front door, and how as it remained as a design element, almost unaltered from 1953, right through to the last of them in 1966.

Craig
      It must have been expensive to change the firewall stamping!
      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
        It must have been expensive to change the firewall stamping!
        Apparently, that is true with any car body; the firewall is the most expensive part to make or change. That is one reason all the Chrysler Corp. cars in 1957 had a common firewall stamping, and in the case of the Vega, which was famously mentioned JZD's 'On a clear day.....' book, the front clip fell off a prototype after only 20 minutes on the test track. Instead of modifying the firewall from scratch, they added all that crossbracing where the hood latched below the windshield.

Craig

Comment

Working...
        X