We don't need no stinkin' proofreader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We don't need no stinkin' proofreader

This from a story about the Argentinian sub that sank a year ago and has been found:
    "
    The missing vessel was a German-built diesel-electric TR-1700 class submarine commission in the 1980s. It was refitted between 2008 and 2014, costing around $12."

The Associated Press contributed to the report. I see examples like this almost every day. I used to be a proofreader and NOTHING like this ought to get by any decent editor before it's made public.
    No wonder the press has a bad reputation for accuracy and so on.

On the other hand, if this is accurate maybe it explains why it sank. Twelve dollars for a refit doesn't sound like very high quality.
    And then there's the "commission" instead of "commissioned".

Think of all the people still looking for a job and some bozos get paid for THIS?

Last edited by Scott; 11-17-2018, 07:46 AM.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Here's another example from an article I just read about lab grown kidneys going "rogue" and starting to grow brain and other cells (from a British paper):
    "But the findings they have gone “rogue” coldest back the research, with experts saying the fact they behaved in this way indicates the technique used to grow them from stem cells are actually creating other cells."

Coldest? Technique...are? Maybe in the UK "technique" is a plural. I don't think so.
    Maybe today's not the day I should be reading anything.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

This is a problem in all media these days.... The ones that really burn me are the captions on news programs with obvious misspellings. What is truly surprising is that there is spell checking software on many platforms, but people refuse to use it.
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I agree. Our daily newspaper is full of misspellings, and words that are used incorrectly. I would think that a quick proof read, would catch most mistakes.
        Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Oh, give me a brake....
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

And then to really mix things up we have the Queen's English and spelling in Canada which doesn't always coincide with our American friends to the south. (Nice, Jeff!)
            You may already know that the word "pants" means something else entirely in British English (hint: it doesn't mean "trousers"), but do you know about the words that both British and American English speakers use, yet spell differently? A basic rule of the

Check this out and you can see why my American friends pick on me in Arizona where we winter. It's a good thing I have tough skin.
            Bill

Comment

Bill,
              We used to spell catalog, "catalogue" in the states and there are probably some that still do. The double ll (travelling), is also something we used to do and within my lifetime. I think it's only been in the last 20 or so years that double ll's have really fallen from use in the US. I actually still think some words look strange without double consonants. Traveling is one of them. Worshiping without two p's sometimes looks odd to me as well.

And don't get me started on how things are spelled in Milwaukee.

Comment

Don't worry. I'm, sure somewhere they are working on algorithms that will read our minds – so to speak. Thus we will not even have to respond to..., say, an email or text because we will have the 5 second count down option to respond ourselves or let the “app” do it for us. The app will know our calendar, who we have been conversing with, whether we need gas, or to shop for food etc.. The app will then respond back to a “Can we get together tonight” with a “No, I have too much going on.” And since the public will be convinced that the app ‘knows best” they will try and live up to the apps expectations of ourselves (the tail wags the dog). But, we won’t need to worry about proofreading because the app handles that for us.
                '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

That'll be a hoot when attorneys start using a "contract app".
                  Originally posted by wittsend View Post
                  Don't worry. I'm, sure somewhere they are working on algorithms that will read our minds – so to speak. Thus we will not even have to respond to..., say, an email or text because we will have the 5 second count down option to respond ourselves or let the “app” do it for us. The app will know our calendar, who we have been conversing with, whether we need gas, or to shop for food etc.. The app will then respond back to a “Can we get together tonight” with a “No, I have too much going on.” And since the public will be convinced that the app ‘knows best” they will try and live up to the apps expectations of ourselves (the tail wags the dog). But, we won’t need to worry about proofreading because the app handles that for us.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                    Oh, give me a brake....
                    Now THAT is funny!
                    Jerry Forrester
                    Forrester's Chrome
                    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

High school journalism taught the importance of punctuation also . For example,
                      People say monkeys are funny or.....
                      People, say monkeys, are funny.

Comment

Originally posted by rbruner View Post
                        High school journalism taught the importance of punctuation also . For example,
                        People say monkeys are funny or.....
                        People, say monkeys, are funny.
                        Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
                        I agree. Our daily newspaper is full of misspellings, and words that are used incorrectly. I would think that a quick proof read, would catch most mistakes.
                        Looks like a quick proof read didn't catch the misuse of two commas.
                        Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

You should read "Eats, Shoots & Leaves," by Lynne Truss.

Comment

two, too, to
                            lose, loose, losing, loosing
                            shiny, shinny, shiney
                            it's, its
                            your, you're, yore
                            scrapped, scraped
                            there, their, they're
                            moot, mute
                            Last edited by RadioRoy; 11-23-2018, 10:42 AM.
                            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I had a high school English teacher that would Fail any written submission (essay or whatever) if there was any misuse of (to, too, two) or (there, their, they're). One learns quickly to get it right, as she was not shy about following through on the threat.
                              Jim K.
                              63 Hawk

Comment

Working...
                              X