Avanti Radio Static?.....Modern Radios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Avanti Radio Static?.....Modern Radios

Time for a Radio upgrade in my 79 Avanti II.....talked to a guy in a automotive audio shop about upgrading to modern AM/FM (w/blue tooth) in my Avanti.....he said that the modern units do not require the shielding to prevent static issues in fiberglass bodies....is he correct ....any experiences out there.....?
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

I have an Alpine AM/FM/CD player in my '70 Avanti and no ignition shielding...no ignition noise at all. I think it comes down to buying a quality stereo and you shouldn't have a problem. I would advise to not buy a Custom AutoSound unit as they're not of the best quality and probably have little to no filtering capability.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I've had my radio on my '63 Avanti R2658, rebuilt by Bill Newman, "Bill the RadioGuy" in Shelton, WA. He chipped it to play MP3, Blue tooth, iPhone, and FM. It worked perfectly once. Sent it back & he did it again. Works outside of the car, but once installed., NADA, Silencio. You can hear that it's energized and I've traced the antenna, the power, everything but no sound. I apologize if this is considered "highjacking" but anybody have any ideas?

Comment

It's possible you have so much RF noise present that it has swamped the front end of the receiver, and AGC has cut the receiver gain to essentially zero. I would also look at the antenna and its cable.
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

If one changes out the radio in an older car the speaker(s) MUST match the output impedence required by the new radio. Older speakers were 10 ohm. New radios require 4 and sometimes 2 ohm speakers. You will fry the output transistors of your radio if the impedence is not correct.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I had Roy Yost (Radio Roy) convert the '63 Avanti radio a couple years ago and it works perfectly, without any shielding or with it. Maybe the workmanship or conversion parts used is suspect. I have nothing but praise for Roy's work! Bill

Comment

Can you tell us the brand and model please.....
              Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
              I have an Alpine AM/FM/CD player in my '70 Avanti and no ignition shielding...no ignition noise at all. I think it comes down to buying a quality stereo and you shouldn't have a problem. I would advise to not buy a Custom AutoSound unit as they're not of the best quality and probably have little to no filtering capability.
              Lou Van Anne
              62 Champ
              64 R2 GT Hawk
              79 Avanti II

Comment

I'm out of town at the moment. I should be able to check the model number once I'm home on Monday. I also had installed Alpines of a similar model in a '69 and '78 Corvettes I owned without noise issues...but both those had shielding where my Avanti doesn't.
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
                  Time for a Radio upgrade in my 79 Avanti II.....talked to a guy in a automotive audio shop about upgrading to modern AM/FM (w/blue tooth) in my Avanti.....he said that the modern units do not require the shielding to prevent static issues in fiberglass bodies....is he correct ....any experiences out there.....?
                  I have a Sony unit in my 83 and a Chinee double Din video unit in my 74, both with Pioneer speakers. I use good speaker wire, the engines have resistance plugs and wires and electronic dissy's with no points. I get local AM, which I don't listen to much and FM without inteference from the engine. IAH, I haven't driven the 74 much but the 83 has seen a few miles. The antenna's are glass mounted, amplified ones.

If that's his recommendation, then come to an agreement on price installed with the agreement that it needs to work as described then drive on enjoying your tunes. There's a fair bit of knowledge about interference these days so let him demonstrate it.

Personally, I don't plan to be able to hear much over my exhaust on my 74 but that's just me.

Bob

Comment

Can you tell us the brand and model please.....
                    It's an Alpine model CDE-9874. It's been in the car for ten years or more so it's likely been superseded by a newer model.

Comment

Thank You....I'll search for one. Is it in-dash unit?
                      Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                      It's an Alpine model CDE-9874. It's been in the car for ten years or more so it's likely been superseded by a newer model.
                      Lou Van Anne
                      62 Champ
                      64 R2 GT Hawk
                      79 Avanti II

Comment

There are marine "black box" stereos, that mount remotely like in the trunk. Only the remote control is placed somewhere to control it. (like in the console compartment, or ashtray).
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948
                        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Thank You....I'll search for one. Is it in-dash unit?
                          Here's a pic of the Alpine in my Avanti. The opening needs to be modified as it has no knobs and a filler piece had to be fabricated. It was done over ten years ago when the car was being rebuilt and the dash was out. I would think removing the dash is the way to go with this modification. I have seen Avantis with a new type radio installed in the console where the a/c evaporator would be but obviously it has to be a no a/c car.

Comment

Thanks.....looks good!
                            Lou Van Anne
                            62 Champ
                            64 R2 GT Hawk
                            79 Avanti II

Comment

1951 Custom
                              1958 Packard Hawk < resto project
                              1962 Champ
                              1963 Standard R1 4 speed
                              1963 Avanti R1