No announcement yet.

Mustang 2+2 Clay with Avanti in the Background

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am thinking that divider down the middle is just a styling model thing. Often, the right and left sides of styling studies show different things.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Looks to me like that split window was a design consideration. If you blow it up some it appears that there is a tri-divided circle, perhaps the popular red, white and blue, with a cougar running through it. Remember that the 1963 Corvette had the split window and this photo was 1963. Funny thing, if all these pictures are of the same car, it doesn't appear to run across the top to the front. Only the one rear photo shows it clearly running above the window top and presumably to the front. Although somewhat copy cat, I'm sure it would have created a frenzy and would probably have been abandoned alla Corvette after one year and presto, instant high buck collectible!

Comment

Wonder where that Avanti and Jaguar are today? What did Ford do with them once they were finished with the comparisons?
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Gunslinger, apparently you don't know how the automobile industry's world works. After Ford, or any car manufacturer, was done with these comparison cars, they were given to big shot executives for free to give to their spoiled teenage kids to run them into the ground!

Comment

I work for Ford and worked in the early 2000's in the complex where these photos were made. This is the courtyard of the Design Center in Dearborn, Michigan, and is just across Oakwood Blvd from the Henry Ford Museum. It is interesting that they were comparing the Mustang with an Avanti and Jag E-type.

I've always thought the '65 Mustang fastback roofline was modeled after the Ferrari GTB, but that model Ferrari debuted as a 1964 model and these photos of the Mustang show essentially the final production design in May, 1963.

Scott Griggs
            Louisville, KY

Click image for larger version

Name:	4a5e2082876c6421e0adfe3ab7283563bc8c5fab.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	1721077

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              I agree the Car hidden behind the Fastback Mustang is likely a Notchback Mustang.

Ford must have been sizing up the XKE and the Avanti competition in May of '63 long after the Avanti was on the market and before the April '64 Mustang release.

It has a Mustang Grille and says F O R D on the Hood.

I believe Cougars happened in 1967.
              Rich, FoMoCo had a design contest between their divisions to style the car that became the Mustang. The L/M Division won the contest, calling their version the Cougar.

Then after the car was styled, FoMoCo introduced a 'dream car' for the auto show circuit that had some of the Mustang's "styling cues."

Mustang first shown to the public on April 17,1964 at the NY Worlds Fair, went on sale nationwide April 23,1964. FoMoCo called them 1965's from the get go.

The following week, Life Magazine had a 'big spread' on the new Mustang, which was supposed to be on the cover.

But General MacArthur had just died, so his picture was on the cover instead.

However, the fastback wasn't introduced until August 24, 1964, and FoMoCo also made some changes (parts catalog says from 8/23/1964).

170 I-6 and 260 V8 dropped, Mustang's received an alternator and a hood nose moulding. The bell housing bolt pattern on the block went from 5 bolt holes to 6.

The hood is slightly different, the Mustang nameplate on the front fenders is 1/4" longer.

Changing to an alternator from a generator, the T/S switch is different as is the steering wheel and the horn ring.

btw: Mercury Cougar debuted September 1966 as a 1967 model.
              Last edited by WinM1895; 06-15-2018, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                If I remember right, there is an Avanti Production Order/Driveaway Shipper that states 'Ford Motor Company' as the customer or the destination; perhaps in RQ's "Almanac" column in TW, and this may be the car. I wonder if it was partial payment for those Ford pickup boxes that were mounted by the factory on Champ trucks, also mentioned in the Almanac.

Craig
                The Champ used Dodge pickup beds w/a Studebaker tailgate.

I've never seen a Ford 'Styleside' pickup bed on anything other than the Mercury versions that were assembled and only sold in Canada.

1957/60 F100/350 Styleside beds also used on: 1961/65 F100/250 4WD; 1961/66 F350 (9' Express); 1962/63 F100/250 2WD; 1966 F250 4WD

The only other Styleside in 1961/63 was the 'Uni' the bed was welded to the cab.

Comment

Please review your June, 1995 TW and re-read RQ's 'Almanac' column.

They produced fifteen of them from the State of New York, and two for the City of Tempe.

Note, they were NOT Styleside boxes.

Craig
                  Last edited by 8E45E; 06-15-2018, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Please review your July or August, 1995 (give or take a month) TW and re-read RQ's 'Almanac' column.

Note, they were NOT Styleside boxes.

Craig
                    Since they weren't Stylesides, they'd have to be Flareside beds, so called because the bedsides flare up and outwards.

There were 3 different versions used 1957/72: 6 1/2' (F100 only), 8' (F100/250) and 9' Express bed installed on F350's.

I had a '60 Champ with one of these beds, but I don't recall that it was a Ford bed, but that was back in 1973/74.

What rear fenders were used, Ford or Studebaker?

Here's a pic from the 1957/63 Ford truck parts catalog (body style 83 is a Flareside):

Name:	20180615141603AF-7698.jpg
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	1721087
                    Last edited by WinM1895; 06-15-2018, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WinM1895 View Post
                      Since they weren't Stylesides, they'd have to be Flareside beds, so called because the bedsides flare up and outwards. What rear fenders were used, Ford or Studebaker?
                      You're getting warmer!!

They used Ford fenders. And instructions in the Deviation Permit (#5227) stated 'The name "FORD" will be cut out of the tail gate and a plate spot welded in place'.

In addition, Studebaker also installed a couple of Willys pickup boxes on Champs mentioned in the same article.

But if you look a few months later in the October, 1995 TW, there is a photo a 1960 Styleside box on a 1960 Champ on page 41.

Do you not have either copy of TW?

Craig
                      Last edited by 8E45E; 06-15-2018, 07:43 PM.

Comment

It might be worth mentioning here that Avanti stylists used cues from the 1961 Lincoln Continental and the 1961 Jaguar E-type.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Are they 2 different cars ?
                          If you look through the glass of the 1965 plated car there is no rear window separation.
                          pb

Comment

The dividor might have been removable for study purposes.

As for copying Ferrari, yeah, the stylists everywhere copied them in detail and in overall shapes. Studebaker less than most. Chevy was probably the one who did it the most.

Ferraris were fairly obscure back then, not on the radar of most people. In 64 the most prolific Ferrari was still in the low hundreds of production.

This is the 65 275 GTB, same as pictured above I believe.

Name:	65 Ferrari 275.jpg
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	1721089

I believe there is a Ferrari which has a roofline resembling the fastback mustang more clearly than the one pictured above. .....perhaps the SWB competition model...?

The SWB is also very similar but the roof back has no louvers in it and it is a two passenger car.
                            Last edited by t walgamuth; 06-16-2018, 03:29 AM.
                            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                              As for copying Ferrari, yeah, the stylists everywhere copied them in detail and in overall shapes.
                              And GM went as far as to copy the 'GTO' name. I bet there would be a lawsuit if that happened today!!

Craig

Comment

And GM went as far as to copy the 'GTO' name. I bet there would be a lawsuit if that happened today!!

Craig
                                Gran Turismo Omologato but some people back then called it the Garbage Truck Option.

John Z. DeLorean's 1964 Pontiac GTO, that some people consider to be the first muscle car.

I don't have the TW article.

Lower pic...1957/66 Styleside bed.

Name:	20180616055441AF-7698.jpg
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	1721090

Comment

Working...
                                X